Author Topic: what are spawning rules for spoilers?  (Read 920 times)

Offline captainwolfer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • c
what are spawning rules for spoilers?
« on: January 02, 2024, 05:18:25 PM »
What are the rules for spawning the various spoiler races? Obviously invaders come from rifts and raiders from their hidden home system, but what are the rules for precursors, Star Swarm, or Rakha spawning?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: what are spawning rules for spoilers?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 05:33:49 PM »
Precursors: In general, they can spawn anywhere that a ruin generates, although they do not generate for every ruin in my experience. Per Steve dev post here, the requirements are >0.4G gravity and temperature in the range of 200 to 360 K for terrestrial-typed bodies (planets and moons only, as asteroids and comets cannot be terrestrial-typed bodies).

Star Swarm: I'm not sure there is any published documentation on this, but I believe they need to spawn in a system with sufficient mineral resources to support their initial fleet generation. Otherwise, no clue, they're so rare that I don't even have a good body of observations to speculate from.

Rakhas: See Steve dev post here. The requirements are: a temperature in an unspecified ~100-degree band (I don't think the exact values are published but I would imagine somewhere in the 200-360 K range, as for ruins/Precursors), some oxygen, some minerals present, and no ruins. Note that Rakhas seem to cause errors when generating rather often which is one reason I always play with them turned off.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 05:37:19 PM »
What are the rules for spawning the various spoiler races? Obviously invaders come from rifts and raiders from their hidden home system, but what are the rules for precursors, Star Swarm, or Rakha spawning?

I'm mirroring a lot of what nuclearslurpee is saying here but precursors and rakha have a chance to spawn in near-habitable/habitable planets. The rules for precursors are a bit looser I think, they can occasionally appear with fuel harvesters around gas giants, not sure if the gas giant needs to have sorium for that.

Star swarm I have no idea, I have never got them to naturally spawn in.

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 05:42:08 PM »
Precursors: In general, they can spawn anywhere that a ruin generates, although they do not generate for every ruin in my experience. Per Steve dev post here, the requirements are >0.4G gravity and temperature in the range of 200 to 360 K for terrestrial-typed bodies (planets and moons only, as asteroids and comets cannot be terrestrial-typed bodies).
Does increasing the spawn chance of ruins increase the chances of precursors spawning, or is the tendency for them to spawn over ruins because they generate those ruins as part of their spawn process?

I am hoping to increase the amount that spawn so I have more to fight

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 05:49:48 PM »
Does increasing the spawn chance of ruins increase the chances of precursors spawning, or is the tendency for them to spawn over ruins because they generate those ruins as part of their spawn process?

I am hoping to increase the amount that spawn so I have more to fight
More ruins = more chances for Precursors to spawn along with the ruins. I usually set ruins chance to 25% or 30% in single-player-race games to get some early action... 30% is good if you want a lot of action, 25% works if you just want something to do every once in a while.

The following users thanked this post: captainwolfer

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 03:15:35 AM »
It's worth noting that the spawn requirements for NPR's entirely overlap with those of ruins (and thus Precursors). NPR's require that no ruins be present on the planet they spawn on, so if you're going to bump up your ruin generation chance to get more Precursors, you may want to increase your NPR Generation Chance to compensate for the relatively fewer valid planets they may spawn from upon system generation.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
You can also change all these settings temporarily. If you absolutely want an NPR on the next eligible system you explore, bump the chance to 100% then bring it back down afterwards. Same with precs since they are associated with ruins. It's not guaranteed, but it does increase the chances a lot.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 02:19:01 PM »
Note that Rakhas seem to cause errors when generating rather often which is one reason I always play with them turned off.

I thought we fixed those...

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 03:58:44 PM »
Note that Rakhas seem to cause errors when generating rather often which is one reason I always play with them turned off.

I'm pretty sure that has been fixed, I play with Rakhas on and have generated a couple now without any problems.

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 04:45:35 PM »
I've seen Rakha twice in games since Aurora 2.2 came out. So they do spawn

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 05:05:09 PM »

Steve fixed the generation of Rakhas some time ago, that works fine. However I have found that with Rakhas active I get a high rate of errors at new system generation which I suspect (cannot confirm, of course) are attributable to Rakhas and NPRs generating on the same body, since these errors don't seem to occur with Rakhas disabled.

In practice, I find Rakhas uninteresting because there is simply no reward for defeating them other than the body they occupied... they are not a strategic threat like Raiders, Swarm, or Invaders, and they do not guard valuable ruins like Precursors. All they represent is a mid-scale ground forces engagement, which we already can get from fighting Precursors, so for me they do not add any new or interesting gameplay that I can't get (with more besides) by cranking up the ruins generation rate. So I turn them off.  :)