Author Topic: Task group listing question  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Saibot (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Task group listing question
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:42:39 AM »
Is there any way to hide those 1 "ship" task groups consisting of terraformers or fuel harvesters? Also is there any way to automatically delete them when I hook them up to a tug and the group becomes empty?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Task group listing question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:02:26 AM »
There is no way to hide any taskgroup in the list that I know of.

The only way to automatically delete a taskgroup that I know of is to give the command to the tug "move to target TF" followed by "absorb target TF" this will add the target taskgroup's ships to the tug TG and delete the old TG.

Offline Saibot (OP)

• S
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:47:31 AM »
Absorb, got it.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
Actually, when you establish the tractor link (Ships screen F6, Miscellaneous tab), the towed ship should be automatically be put in the tugs TG.

Be aware of the "absorb" command. Bad things can happen, when the TG that is supposed to do the absorbing no longer exists. When, for example, you order TG C to be absorbed by TG B and order TG B to be absorbed by TG A. If TG A absorbs TG B _before_ TG B has absorbed TG C, you might loose TG C.

For this, I usually use the "Join TG" command (also, no need for the "follow TG" command, as the order to join automatically makes your TG go out to the TG it is ordered to join).

Hiding TG is not possible, but you can use the "sort alphabetically" system, Aurora uses to your advantages.

First, don´t name your TGs 1st this, 2nd this; 1st that, second that because then your TGs will be listed as
1st That
1st This
2nd That
2nd This

but name them this 1, this 2, that 1 that 2 which will lead to aurora listing them as
That 1
That 2
This 1
This 2

Then you can use <Space> in front of your TG name to sort even more

The shipyard TG gets 4 x <Space> in front, so it will always be on top of the list
Main combat TGs get 3 x <Space> in front, so they are always listst right after the Shipyard TG
Minor combat TGs get 2 x <Space>
Survey TGs and TGs that I have to check only once in a while get a single <Space>
and finally, all TGs that I normaly don´t have to check ever, except I get a notification (Terraformer, Fuel Harvester,...) get no <Space> at all

That way, the TGs I have to access most often are at the very top of the list and the ones I don´t have to check at all are at the end, and don´t clutter the top of the list.

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Saibot (OP)

• S
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
Yeah the platforms get joined into tug group, but the TG stays and I end up having to delete them all manually.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
That's why I just leave my new fuel harvester or terraformer platforms in the Shipyard TG (actually ">Shipyard TG" so it comes up first) and tow them from there.  I never plan to delete that TG, so it's fine to keep using it.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
I often use the fleet tab to manage and fin my TG/ships works pretty well. The TG list can become huge after a while. Especially if you split your TG into subgroups/squadrons etc.

One suggestion to Steve would be a filtering mechanism, at least for Task-forces. The Task-force list is already there. You either choose all and see all TG or a specific Task-force and only TG belonging to it is shown in the list. This should be a very simple but useful change.

I code all my TG with its TF/Type and then a number that will sort the list in TF order... that and using spaces to get certain TG in the top. But other than that I mainly use the fleet tab to manage my ships and TG.

Offline Saibot (OP)

• S
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
What about when they finish their first assignment and you move them a second time?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
I don't know exactly what you mean but I use the messages listed in the system view. Click on that to center on the TG and open the TG screen to give new orders. I don't go to the TG screen and find a TG and then give order in most cases.

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
What about when they finish their first assignment and you move them a second time?
From F12 screen when giving orders to the tug use the checkbox "Task Group", select the TG that contains the ship you want to tow, then use order "Tractor specified ship" and "Release tractored ship". In this way you don't need to delete the task group of the tractored ship.

Offline Saibot (OP)

• S
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
I give every platform a join order to make 1 TG when they're where I want them. That way when a colony finally becomes 0 cost I don't need to delete 10 or more task groups after moving them.

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
As I said, you don't need to delete them. It is done automatically if you follow my indications.