Author Topic: Task Force Training  (Read 1477 times)

Nabobalis

Task Force Training
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
Stupid question I guess but here it goes.

Is it worth task force training civilian ships and non combat military ships?

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Task Force Training
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
TF Training only has an effect if there are hostile ships in the same system. The only penalty is that untrained ships will take a few minutes to follow new orders.

If the ships will be taking part in combat operations, then it would be foolish not to train them.

If operating on their own in systems where they may encounter hostile ships, the few minutes will probably not prevent their destruction.

If operating on their own in systems where they will probably not encounter hostiles, then the training would not have any effect.

Given the time it takes to train even with excellent TF bonuses, I would say it is not worth it unless you know they will be encountering hostiles.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
I was considering building a couple stationary plasma carronade equipped starbases, and tugging them from planets to wormholes and back for maintenance.  Do I need one engine to train them, or can they train in orbit?

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
If they are in orbit of a planet, when you start their training they will stay where they are and not follow the planet. (Assuming planet orbital movement is active.)

I personally SM move them back to the planet when they are done training, as I consider it a bug. How can they leave orbit without engines?

Of course, since they are not in orbit anymore, their clock goes up. Though, if you're parking them on the wormhole they'll need a low IFR anyway.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »
Stupid question I guess but here it goes.

Is it worth task force training civilian ships and non combat military ships?

Depends really - Ziusudra covered most of it, I sometimes train up exploration ships (particularly geo explorers) as I often have fairly decent sensors and high speed, so they can sometimes benefit from being able to run immediatly, almost all others will be too slow to benefit.  Even then I have only used this on less than half a dozen occasions, so its probably really not worth the fuel & opportunity cost.   My fleet Scouts on the other hand depite being unarmed (and usually quite like the geo/grav survey vessels) often DO benefit from the training due to the kinds of situations that they get placed in.
Slàinte,

Mike