Author Topic: C# Ground Combat  (Read 80766 times)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
Re: C# Ground Combat
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
Steve has said that Light Vehicle get Medium weight components, and Medium Vehicles get Heavy weight components.

Super Heavy components remain the province of Super Heavies.

Also, can I say I'm surprised the only Super Heavy component is the Anti Vehicle one? And that there's no Ultra Heavy components at all despite Ultra Heavy vehicles existing.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
Thanks, fixed it and uploaded a new version. Also forgot that Static can have Logistics Module.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »
Here is a screenshot from the database with the current values:

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, friendguy13, Rye123, DEEPenergy, Hastermain

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »
Steve has said that Light Vehicle get Medium weight components, and Medium Vehicles get Heavy weight components.

Super Heavy components remain the province of Super Heavies.

Also, can I say I'm surprised the only Super Heavy component is the Anti Vehicle one? And that there's no Ultra Heavy components at all despite Ultra Heavy vehicles existing.

That is mainly because I haven't done much with those options yet, rather than a deliberate intention to exclude them.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
Well, that's fair.

I note the existence of a component that wasn't shown before: Long Range Bombardment. It appears similar to Heavy Bombardment, but is this a new component?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
Well, that's fair.

I note the existence of a component that wasn't shown before: Long Range Bombardment. It appears similar to Heavy Bombardment, but is this a new component?

It has the same stats as medium bombardment so it probably have the range of heavy bombardment but with the power of medium bombardment.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »
Well, that's fair.

It has the same stats as medium bombardment so it probably have the range of heavy bombardment but with the power of medium bombardment.

Yes, exactly.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
Is this correct?

Infantry, Static and Light Vehicle have 1 slot for weapon/equipment.
Vehicle and Heavy vehicles have 2 slots.
Super-heavy vehicle has 3 slots.
Ultra-heavy vehicle has 4 slots.

I'm itching to plan out the initial ground force compositions for my Aurora 1890 game.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »
Is this correct?

Infantry, Static and Light Vehicle have 1 slot for weapon/equipment.
Vehicle and Heavy vehicles have 2 slots.
Super-heavy vehicle has 3 slots.
Ultra-heavy vehicle has 4 slots.

I'm itching to plan out the initial ground force compositions for my Aurora 1890 game.

Yes, that's correct.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »
Steve, is it possible to have a vehicle to use both its slots for HQ? And can those HQ "modules" be of different sizes? If that is not possible, it is possible to have two separate HQ vehicles have their total controllable tonnage stack? Basically, can we get customizable total HQ sizes by combining modules and/or vehicles in a unit. Also, does the HQ size itself factor in the command limit or is it separate?

Based on your post in the Changes thread:
HQ: The headquarters capacity of the element’s Unit Class in tons. If there are multiple units in a template element, only one is considered for the headquarters capacity. Any additional units are for redundancy. The headquarters capacity is the total size of the formation (or formation hierarchy) that can be effectively controlled by a commander based in a unit with this component
it would seem that multiple vehicles is not possible but is two HQ "modules" in a vehicle possible?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:35:35 AM by Garfunkel »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
The code uses the largest available HQ size on any unit in a formation. So while you can have two HQs on a vehicle, only the largest would count. I can add some additional HQ sizes though.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
I'm currently finding it difficult to fit my infantry division, as it clocks in at just under 30k tons. It's not a huge issue to use the 50k ton HQ for divisions though. I'm just a little worried that once formations get vehicle heavy (I'm currently using only infantry and static and in fairly conservative numbers), the division sizes will balloon so much that there isn't much left for corps/army level HQs to use.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
Note that going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_organization a division is anywhere between 6k and 20k soldiers. For infantry units that means that 30 to 50k tons of unit size is about right for a modestly sized division, and it's quite possible for vehicle based units to be similarly sized. This is mostly because unit size in military organisation is dependent on total personnel numbers needed to keep a given piece of equipment operational.

For an infantryman, that's just the infantryman, but for tanks you need a support staff, and the reason pilots are usually officers isn't because you need to be smart to fly an aircraft, it's because you need a platoon or so worth of personnel to keep an aircraft fit to fly, and the pilot needs the authority to order that platoon around to make sure he can fly.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
I would certainly request that multiple HQ components on the same vehicle stack with each other for calculating unit size.  I can see times when I would want 70,000 tons HQ ratings, or 6,250 tons, or whatever.  I'm always a fan of greater granularity -- especially player-controlled granularity.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, King-Salomon

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
Agreed, that would be a good thing. The increase in the vehicle size and cost compensates for its added proficiency.