Author Topic: 3D Models  (Read 4532 times)

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3D Models
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 11:15:50 PM »
Did a test tonight, building a sample ship to see how the component/hull system works. For this one I built using a single, linear hull (down the road I'll play with stacking hulls, perpendicular hulls, etc.).

Here's the components I added for this test ship:

2 lasers with turrets
2 fire controls
4 power plants
2 active search sensors
1 EM detection sensor
4 engines
1 bridge
2 fuel tanks
1 maintenance storage bay
1 crew quarters
1 maintenance module

Here's the result:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... Y2U1&hl=en

Gotta love Sketch Up. Once I had all the components picked out, took about 15 minutes to snap them in place and arrange them.

Don't judge my component mix. :)  This was just to see if it would actually work and how it would look.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »
Huh.  That looks... actually quite convincing.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
looks cool :)

Bit like an Hyperion

Have you given any though about interconnecting wiring between modules, access passages and then actual crew corridors? Reckon it would be easy enough to just say that all of that is built into each component with connectors at standard locations that have a universal mating system - or something along those lines.

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »
oh Aurora 3d, why have thou forsaken me.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
>Have you given any though about interconnecting wiring between modules, access passages and then actual crew corridors? Reckon it would be easy enough to just say that all of that is built into each component with connectors at standard locations that have a universal mating system - or something along those lines.

Yeah, right now it's a bit abstract in that there are common access ports leading from the individual components, into the modularized hull. So the hull is mostly for wiring/life support conduits, plus crew transport within the ship.

It'll be up to the individual player to design how "realistic" they want the model to be. Like right now, I've got the 2 fire controls on one side of the hull. Probably not a good idea. :) Once I get this thing done and released, it'll be cool to see what people do with it to make their models more functionally accurate...plus look pretty.

First things first, I wanted to make sure it was actually going to work. Have to make some tweaks. One problem I found was that tapering the bottom of components causes problems when trying to "snap" them to the hull easily. The fuel tank and the engines both have tapered bottoms, so I'll have to play with that later.

One thing that surprised me is the size of the weapons with turrets. When you compare them to the size of a component such as the Bridge, you find out just how massive those weapons are.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
Several more done (mostly weapons). About a half-dozen yet to go.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUG ... ist&num=50

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »
Very Nice

Offline Tophat

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
Are you still working through this project? Where are you at now?

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Thanks for asking!

Had to take a break for a couple weeks as I was on another project.
Yesterday I finished the military and civilian engine models. All I have left is the commercial and military jump drive models, then "skin" all the models. I'm going to keep that very simple so that people can modify colors/textures easily.

Once I get the 2 models done, I'll post another image update. :)

Offline Tophat

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
Thanks,i am very interested to see what you come up with.Glad you took point on this project and were willing to share!

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
This is awesome, you should feel proud, and I want to get my hands on this beauty.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
OK, spent last night and tonight modeling that LAST 2 components (commercial and military jump drives). I think there's something like 51 components in all. It's not a complete list of every single component in Aurora, but definitely covers the vast majority.

Here's a link to the latest screenshot of all the models.
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGjr-yEDZGUxMTcwZmQtNjJmNC00YmVlLWExZmItN2Q5ZTIzYzZlYmEx&hl=en

Next step, which should go pretty quick: skinning. Once that's done, I'll upload it to Google Docs. Week maybe? Perhaps less if I can spend a few hours this weekend.

:)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
Very nice :)

One thing I noticed and I may be wrong, but shouldn't the Hangar Deck be larger than the Boat Bay?

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 07:21:01 AM »
You're right, it should. I think what happened (and it may have happened more than once), was that I grabbed data from the wrong column. I caught it a couple times were I confused crew size with component size.

Thanks for catching it! I'll switch things around.

Offline the-isz (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »
Fixed the boat bay and hangar issue.

I've also uploaded a few screenshots of all the components from different angles. If anyone sees anything else involving size issues (keep in mind I'm not going exact, it was more a ratio based on the differences), let me know.

Here's the screens:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... MjI4&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... NWMx&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5JUGj ... NTY5&hl=en