Author Topic: Geology Teams  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Geology teams are wonderful! Once they reach 150+ they never seem to ?survey out? a location. If you start your teams at 130-135 it doesn?t take them long to reach 150.

I have found the normal progression is to find up to several megatons initial, then several tens of megatons, then hundreds of megatons. I find accessibility less likely to increase, but give a team enough time.... :D
Yes, it has become apparent that geology teams are too powerful :lol:

Duranium ? Du
Neutronium - Nu
Corbomite - Cb
Tritanium - Tr
Boronide - Bo
Mercassium - Me
Vendarite - Ve
Sorium - So
Uridium - Ur
Corundium - Cn
Gallicite ? Gl

Regards[/quote]
Interesting idea! It won't probably won't be used as part of game mechanics but it adds to the fiction background.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
Re: Geology Teams
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
Have the mechanics of geology survey changed since the last post?  As I understand it, a team with skill of 50 or less will have a 100% chance of having the survey done after the first return.  A team with skill of 140 or more has a 10% chance of having the survey done after each return.  If these are correct, then would it be a good idea to send the team off to asteroids for 'practice' and wait until the skill is 140 or more before doing the survey on Earth?

Offline randal7

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
What is a reasonable time for the first survey to take? I put a team w/skill level 90 on an asteroid and after almost 3 years still had no result. Moved to Phobos, two more years with no result. Moved to Ganymede, results in less than a year. I'm trying to train them up on insignificant bodies as suggested above. Am I just having bad luck on die rolls, or should small bodies really take several years as opposed to around 1 yr for terrestrials?

As a side note, can you survey a gas giant with a team?

Offline Another

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »
If it is indeed chance based with an average of about 1 year then you can get no results in 10 years if you are unlucky or results in the first 5 days if you are lucky. It is normal to get highly deviating times. Geology surveys are not reliable in short term (about 10 years). They are still a nearly free and safe way to get some extra mineral deposits.

As far as I know gas giants can not be colonized at all and you need a colony for any team.

Offline sandman662

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Sort of an odd question within a question, but here goes:

It seems that you can instantly create teams on any of your colonies.  I have a survey team in a system they finish their work, I disband them and then create them on a new colony.  Is there any penalty for doing this instead of moving the team with a ship?

The question within a question is:  I know that you can instantly create a ship using the Fast OB... is that "cheating"?  And if so, is the insta-moving my teams "cheating" as well?  I am learning the game (very slowly) but discovering many things that seem to be in the game that you can "just do" and it sorta feels dirty.

Thanks for any insight.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
Quote from: "sandman662"
Sort of an odd question within a question, but here goes:

It seems that you can instantly create teams on any of your colonies.  I have a survey team in a system they finish their work, I disband them and then create them on a new colony.  Is there any penalty for doing this instead of moving the team with a ship?

The question within a question is:  I know that you can instantly create a ship using the Fast OB... is that "cheating"?  And if so, is the insta-moving my teams "cheating" as well?  I am learning the game (very slowly) but discovering many things that seem to be in the game that you can "just do" and it sorta feels dirty.

Thanks for any insight.

Yes and no :)

It´s basicly the same as the "assign to any place" checkbox for officers. Which assumes, your bureaucracy takes care of shipping the officers where they are needed, so you don´t have to shuttle them around yourself.

Personaly, I don´t do it for teams.
For one, I usualy have only a small number of teams and they change their workplace only rarely. Second, I would have to disband them, when they have finished work on, say Mars, and could instantly reform it at Titan. This, indeed, would feel like cheating. Therefore, I form the teams on earth and then move them via spaceship wherever they are needed.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
Side-question: Is the chance to find new minerals the same for any kind of body, so, has an asteroid the same chance of new minerals a planet has?
Also, it seems to me by now that minerals are just added to the current amount, instead of taking the higher value.
I figures I just misunderstood the explanation, any input on this?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re:
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
In a moment of spare time I wondered on the chemical symbol for the trans-Newtonian elements. Below are the chemical symbols for the trans-Newtonian elements I came up with. I will leave the chemistry for someone else. :x