Author Topic: Suggestions for my new multi-faction game?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Suggestions for my new multi-faction game?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
hooray for this thread and my grad school classes becoming one.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Is a small state at a disadvantage? Yes. Can it work with a little tinkering? Yes.

I agree, and I never tried to suggest otherwise. I merely raced to the defense of the intellectually lazy (including myself) as to why most people stick with only limited number of large powers (US, Russia, China, EU) and why small nations (which in those circumstances include even Brazil and Japan) are almost never played as player factions by themselves in any scenario happening on Earth in the near future.

Besides if you're playing only a single faction against several NPRs than it's actually good to play as a (relatively) minor power, otherwise said NPRs would provide no challenge.

Also, as far as the example given on colonial powers, I would actually argue that Aurora is closer to the 19th/20th century colonialist model vs. modern states.

That is very much open to interpretation IMO, especially since interactions with NPRs (which have limited diplomatic options etc.) aren't really all that good meter stick when trying to divine near future political divisions and power structure on Earth.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
In my current multinational campaign I have nine different factions or rather leading nations. Each nations has major and minor backers of their space program. Some of the major nations is also close allies.

Population is also very easy to explain away as just representing a weight of the well enough educated mass to support a space industry. Thus countries such as China and India has far less "population" than the real number while others have closer to the real number, that makes it easier to give yourself a balanced and interesting start.

The major nations in my game are, US, UK, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Brazil and India. Most other nations either directly support and work with these countries or act in close cooperation or just as a silent partner, some nations are just too poor or simply not interested in space travel, because why should everyone, it is not realistic.

As long as you have some sort of coherent back-story anything goes... you can make the Papal State a space faring superpower if you so wish... ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:22:15 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »

As long as you have some sort of coherent back-story anything goes... you can make the Papal State a space faring superpower if you so wish... ;)

I'm going to do an alchemically themed campaign one of these days...but I got too much going on.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
Another route is to go back and just grab state from actual history. Science fiction writers do this all the time. You can come up with some pretty interesting ideas/nations/NPR's that way.

An African power based on any of the successful sub-Saharan African states would be a good place to build an African TN state. Mali, Songhai, the original Zimbabwe, the Zulu, Kush or Nubia would all be pretty good starting points.

Ancient China is both pretty fascinating from a historical perspective, and gives you some great Asian empires to base a TN state off of. They might even break the "China will have bad things happen in Aurora" curse. The Zhou, Qin, and Han periods are great places to start to build off of. Or you could pit break away modern factions in China against each other, there are a lot of ethnic and cultural/language groups in China.

Central Asia had some pretty fascinating historically significant empires that still have some cultural resonance today. There are some pretty cool to read histories on some of the more "colorful" states that emerged there. The Huns, The Avar, Pechenegs, Bulgaria, Cumania, Ghaznavid.

If you want something that fits with the current themes available, you had central asian empires like Baktria that had a majority Persian/Turkic population with some Greeks thrown in, and they used Greek military ranks and titles. Or Pontus, which was an Anatolian Persian (Persian commander names) state that adopted Hellenic culture (Greek Ship theme/ranks).

You could also postulate something like a collapse Mexico leading to an anti-western "revival" of Aztec culture. Or a similar one for the Maya, which could pick up southern Mexico and the rest of Central America. With a bit of optimistic extrapolation and/or conquest, you could get them to a decent enough population base.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
Maybe instead of multi-nation Earth start you should try a multi-planet Sol start ??

Just Sm terraform Venus, Mars, Titan, Ganymede, Europa and perhaps Moon, give them smegload of minerals and make NPR's representing some corporations or different entities after some "Great Sol Collapse" and start with that :) It makes a great Nexus like feel. :)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."