Author Topic: Commercial ships and crew comfort  (Read 1516 times)

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
Commercial ships and crew comfort
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
Am I correct in (now) thinking that commercial status lets you dodge the maintenance rules, but not the crew comfort ones? So I need to give commercial ships with long expected deployment times long crew timers?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Commercial ships and crew comfort
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
If i recall correctly deployment times effect ,combat readiness (the exact effect it has escapes me), and survey times, and possibly other things. But purely commercial ships don't suffer from overextended deployment.
However, for roleplay purposes i usually set the deployment time of my commercial ships to something approximating their intended use if they're expected to be used for something with unusually long deployment, IE: terraformers, long range fuel tankers, etc.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
>> But purely commercial ships don't suffer from overextended deployment.

Hmmm, I'm not finding that to be true. My commercial geosurvey ship has reached 0% morale, and survey points were being collected more slowly, so I'm sending it home. As I'd thought the crew rules didn't apply, I designed it with 3 months deployment time (the min required for commercial status) and sent it off on its' merry way. And it is clearly marked as commercial on the class data sheet

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I've never found any commercial ship other than geosurveyors to suffer from having low morale. My jump gate constructors rarely return to port except to refuel, and they don't seem to suffer any penalties even after years out in the void. In my current game my oldest asteroid miner has been out for 171 months and despite its 3 month intended deployment the minerals keep coming in without a slowdown.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
It isn't that crew deployment times don't apply to commercial ships. - rather that the loss of morale rarely affects the tasks performed by commercial ships. However, surveying is on the lists of tasks affected by low morale so a commercial survey ship will need appropriate accommodations.

Offline Rawb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • R
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
How do you actually extend deployment times? All of my ships seem to have three months and I don't see how you change it.]

EDIT: I literally just found out as soon as I posted, for anyone else wondering it's an option on the left hand side of the ship design window.