Author Topic: Aurora Strategy Guide / Tutorial in PDF format  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Lord Thag (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
Aurora Strategy Guide / Tutorial in PDF format
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:13 PM »
As mentioned in my other post, here is the pdf of my Strategy Guide cobbled together from the wiki and forum. It's already quite long (70 pages or so), but it's helped me immensely in learning, as I can have a nice printed guide to look at while playing.

Ideally, it would be very cool to have this eventually turn in to something like the old Stars! Strategy Guide, where it is the definitive tutorial and guide for Aurora, something that could possibly included in the install. I'm really enjoying this game (first 4x game I've liked since the 90s), and I'd like to do my part to help support it. Stuff like this only happens with collaboration from the fans though.

Now, there are obviously some glaring flaws in this as a guide as it currently stands. Whole sections on combat, fleet control, economics, overall strategy, and a bunch of other things are missing, and I'm sure this will need to be tweaked constantly to keep up with updates. If anyone would like to write up articles on the missing of abbreviated sections, post them here (or links to them) and I will add them. Or post links to forum threads that I can tweak to cover missing areas. I'll write some stuff myself once I get to where I know what I am doing.

Aurora is an amazing piece of software, and I am confidant that there are a ton of people out there looking for something like it (I know I was, and I only found it a couple of days ago). Anything to help the newbie get over the learning curve can only help.

Here's the guide so far:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:56:15 PM by Lord Thag »

The following users thanked this post: thpapak

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Aurora Strategy Guide / Tutorial in PDF format
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
Looks very useful indeed! Thanks for pulling this together!

Of course, you do realise that everyone will now constantly pester you to keep it up to date :)

Steve

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:53:16 AM »
Just finished reading through the whole document and it's really impressive been able to print this info off will really help new people get to grips with the game. If I get chance I'll put something together using my limited knowledge which can hopefully be built on over time.

Again thanks for your hard work.

Offline Lord Thag (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
I've added a section on economics by culling posts from eric and steve, with a few (obvious) thoughts of my own, as well as adding a nice reference table for all installations with their cost and mineral requirements.

Combat, particularly missile design and defense is still very much needed and missing, as are a ton of other details that only a vet (or some experience) can supply.

If anyone would like to proof this, I'll be happy to adjust anything you think needs corrected. I'll add covers and a table of contents as soon as things get a little more solid.

As it stands, I would like to add the combat/design stuff above, as well as some common, solid economic/expansion strategies if anyone who actually knows what they are doing would care to post some  :D