Author Topic: Problems. Plenty of them.  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Sorby (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Problems. Plenty of them.
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »
The Bugs section redirected me here, which defeats its purpose, but I've got problems even starting a game up. They managed to help me to the Game Selection screen, but nothing more.

I've gotten as far as I can in the tutorials, which is clicking the "New" button in the game selection screen - From there, I don't have the option to start a new game. Rather, it just gives me a blank Game Selection screen. I know exactly the screen that's supposed to come up (I've seen it before, prior to the help of the Bugs section), and that is clearly not it.

I've tried to continue playing without that screen, where the game is simply a name and parameters of where the systems would be. The Bugs section told me to try and start with, "Empires>>System Maps." This only gave me a pop-up saying I needed to select a default race. So, "Game>>Select Default Race," right? Another pop-up - "No races have been created." Where from here? My best guess was "Empires>>View Race Details." I could do next to nothing with that screen; Race Name, Theme, Color, Flag, Image.

The latter two had me select .BMP images from the ones provided. Once I did that, 'Run-time Error "381"' came about, telling me "Invalid property array index," before closing Aurora in its entirety. On top of all this, it won't let me save on this screen, making it entirely useless.

In short, nothing works despite my best efforts, and the Bugs section has done next to nothing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:10:43 PM by Sorby »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Problems. Plenty of them.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
Quote from: "Sorby"
The Bugs section redirected me here, which defeats its purpose, but I've got problems even starting a game up. They managed to help me to the Game Selection screen, but nothing more.

I've gotten as far as I can in the tutorials, which is clicking the "New" button in the game selection screen - From there, I don't have the option to start a new game. Rather, it just gives me a blank Game Selection screen. I know exactly the screen that's supposed to come up (I've seen it before, prior to the help of the Bugs section), and that is clearly not it.

I've tried to continue playing without that screen, where the game is simply a name and parameters of where the systems would be. The Bugs section told me to try and start with, "Empires>>System Maps." This only game me a pop-up saying I needed to select a default race. So, "Game>>Select Default Race," right? Another pop-up - "No races have been created." Where from here? My best guess was "Empires>>View Race Details." I could do next to nothing with that screen; Race Name, Theme, Color, Flag, Image.

The latter two had me select .BMP images from the ones provided. Once I did that, 'Run-time Error "381"' came about, telling me "Invalid property array index," before closing Aurora in its entirety. On top of all this, it won't let me save on this screen, making it entirely useless.

In short, nothing works despite my best efforts, and the Bugs section has done next to nothing.

Maybe select a game already started. Steve's campaign should be in the database. And then under the Miscellaneous menu, Reset Window Positions. Also from the Game Selection screen, verify what version you are running.

Offline Sorby (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Maybe select a game already started.
Possibly, but if I click, "New Game," it should bring up the Create A New Game screen. It doesn't.
Steve's campaign should be in the database.
I don't see why that was even mentioned.
And then under the Miscellaneous menu, Reset Window Positions.
That would only move everything to the top-left. Don't see how that helps.
Also from the Game Selection screen, verify what version you are running.
v5.14, should be. I downloaded the v5.10 patch, then the v5.14 one.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
If I recall correctly, when upgrading from 5.10 to 5.14 you need to run the 'update database to 5.14' command, have you tried that?

Eric suggests you try starting Steve's game because that way you can confirm that Aurora was installed correctly.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
If I recall correctly, when upgrading from 5.10 to 5.14 you need to run the 'update database to 5.14' command, have you tried that?

Eric suggests you try starting Steve's game because that way you can confirm that Aurora was installed correctly.

That and it's the only way to access the menu bar from a known functional game ;)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
I see you're using windows 7, when you start Aurora, try right mouse button clicking the shortcut, and select run as administrator from the menu that pops up.

Does that help?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline StratPlayer

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
To me, this sounds like an installation problem.

Just to make sure, did you dowloaded the full v4.91 Installation, the v5.10 patch, and the v5.14 patch, and then install them all in that order?  

Did you get any errors at all during installation?  If so, then try reinstalling.

If not, then the next thing I'd check is to see if you have the required microsoft library MSSTDFMT.DLL.  There was a new user who posted that he didn't get a new window pop-up to create a game, and then his next post was regarding the absence of the needed DLL, so it may be related:

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1945

Here's the FAQ thread "Getting the Game to Run Questions" that let's you know how to get the needed DLL file:

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2031

Good luck!
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"[/i

Offline Sorby (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
I see you're using windows 7, when you start Aurora, try right mouse button clicking the shortcut, and select run as administrator from the menu that pops up.

Does that help?

Matt
Thanks, but that's not my problem.
Quote from: "StratPlayer"

Just to make sure, did you dowloaded the full v4.91 Installation, the v5.10 patch, and the v5.14 patch, and then install them all in that order?  

Did you get any errors at all during installation?  If so, then try reinstalling.

If not, then the next thing I'd check is to see if you have the required microsoft library MSSTDFMT.DLL.  There was a new user who posted that he didn't get a new window pop-up to create a game, and then his next post was regarding the absence of the needed DLL, so it may be related.

Good luck!
I figured out what my problem was, but that only got me so far. Now, I can access the Create a New Game screen, but I can't make a game.

Just after I click "Create Game" (Note that I recognize all the check boxes and features were defaults, so I left them alone), a bunch of error pop-ups came about.

Pop-ups:
-One 3265;
-An innumerable amount of 3201s (Cannot add or change record because a related record is required in the table 'Game');
-A just as innumerable amount of 3014s (Cannot open any more tables).

After all this, Aurora closes. This obviously has to do with the Access file...

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Quote from: "Sorby"
Quote from: "boggo2300"

Does that help?

Matt
Thanks, but that's not my problem.
Quote from: "StratPlayer"

If not, then the next thing I'd check is to see if you have the required microsoft library MSSTDFMT.DLL.  There was a new user who posted that he didn't get a new window pop-up to create a game, and then his next post was regarding the absence of the needed DLL, so it may be related.

Good luck!
I figured out what my problem was, but that only got me so far. Now, I can access the Create a New Game screen, but I can't make a game.

Just after I click "Create Game" (Note that I recognize all the check boxes and features were defaults, so I left them alone), a bunch of error pop-ups came about.

Pop-ups:
-One 3265;
-An innumerable amount of 3201s (Cannot add or change record because a related record is required in the table 'Game');
-A just as innumerable amount of 3014s (Cannot open any more tables).

After all this, Aurora closes. This obviously has to do with the Access file...
Sounds like you have a database from a version older than the executable.  Have you installed Aurora in the Program Files directory or somewhere else?
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Sounds like you have a database from a version older than the executable.  Have you installed Aurora in the Program Files directory or somewhere else?
If you're in 5.14 you also need to be sure to run the "update DB" command on the DB.

John

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
If you're in 5.14 you also need to be sure to run the "update DB" command on the DB.

John
Good Point, I had forgotten about that.  :oops:
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

John
Good Point, I had forgotten about that.  :-)

John

Offline Sorby (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
You mean in the Access file itself? Yeah. Don't have Access.

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
You need to load the save that comes with the game then go "Game"->"v5.15 Data Update".