Author Topic: How do I get civs to build freighters  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Rajhin (OP)

• Leading Rate
How do I get civs to build freighters
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
How exactly do you make civs build freighters/colonists and other designs? I'm 6 years into the game, geosurveyed planets I wanted, made civ contracts to ship mines and infrastructure from capital, made some small-cargo freighters, made civilian yard with matching capacity but they just don't want to start.
The planets are counted as my colonies because I sent the teams there before.
TLDR: Want to make first mine-/colonies but civs don't build ships.  What are the requirements?
Searched around but every post about commercial fleet reads like they should have started working for me already but they don't.

Offline ddblackhawk

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
How exactly do you make civs build freighters/colonists and other designs? I'm 6 years into the game, geosurveyed planets I wanted, made civ contracts to ship mines and infrastructure from capital, made some small-cargo freighters, made civilian yard with matching capacity but they just don't want to start.
The planets are counted as my colonies because I sent the teams there before.
TLDR: Want to make first mine-/colonies but civs don't build ships.  What are the requirements?
Searched around but every post about commercial fleet reads like they should have started working for me already but they don't.

You need to have at least one other colony of 10 million or more population.  I think, I know whenever I want to use civilians to ship people / goods there's always been several civilian ships around to do it.

Offline Rajhin (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
Then how do you exactly build a first colony?
Is manually built colony ship enough? I just see there's a system of colony cost and infrastructure needed for different planets.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:09 AM »
Then how do you exactly build a first colony?
Is manually built colony ship enough? I just see there's a system of colony cost and infrastructure needed for different planets.

If the colony cost is higher than 0.0, you need to put infrastructure on the site before you ship colonists. Otherwise they die off. Beyond that, automated mines are good as are factories. Then whatever you decide you need on the colony.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: How do I get civs to build freighters
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
Just plopping some infrastructure down on Mars usually gets them moving for me.

Also, civilians don't need you to build a yard for them, they do it themselves.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »
You may also need to subsidize them a bit.

Offline ddblackhawk

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
As Erik said, you need to look at the colony cost, if it is above 0.0 then you will need to send over infrastructure first. 

Sorry if the rest of this post is a bit condescending, but I'll be going through what you need to look at / do to put down a colony and I don't know how much experience you have with the game.

On the System Information screen (shortcut: F9) you can see a list of all the bodies in a system.  The 5th column in is where the colony cost is.  If you do not already have a colony on the planet / moon you want one on you need to select which planet / moon you want to add the colony to in the System Information screen, and then click the Add Colony button at the bottom of this screen.

Colonies are automatically added when you send a GeoSurvey Team to a System Body.

Once you have founded a colony you can see its basic information in the Colony Summary screen (shortcut: F2).  In the list of information there are three bits that are relevant to you, "Infrastructure required per million population", "Current Infrastructure", and "Population supported by Infrastructure".  From what you have said this is where you are up to yes?

To actually ship the Infrastructure over you need to design and build a Cargo ship.  You do this the same way you would design and build any other ship.  A cargo ship needs at least one Cargo Hold - Small, or one Cargo Hold - Standard module.  These are in the Transport & Industry Section, you should design a commercial engine to ensure you keep to a commercial design (which doesn't need any ongoing maintenance).  A commercial engine is any engine that has Engine Power of 0.5 or less and is 25HS or more.

You also need to design and build your own Colony Ship, these need at least one Cryogenic Transport module.  Again, this module is in the Transport & Industry section of the class design screen

After you have designed both ships you need to make sure you have a Commercial Shipyard that has enough Capacity for your ships.  I have found that if you design your colony ships and cargo ships to be the exact same tonnage with the only differences being the Cryogenic module for the colony ship and the Cargo Hold for the cargo ship you can construct them using the same Commercial Shipyard if it is fitted to construct the colony ships.

Once you have constructed a Cargo Ship you can start shipping over Infrastructure to your new colony,  you do this from the Task Group orders screen, there should be an order to Load Infrastructure at the colony where you have built it.  After that select the new colony and find the order Unload Infrastructure.  You can repeat these two orders as often as necessary until you have enough Infrastructure at the new colony for several million people.

Your Civilian shipping Lines should build a single cargo ship or colony ship after this.  If they don't try shipping some colonists to the new colony using your colony ship.  But you want to Load / Unload colonists rather than infrastructure.

Hope this helps,
ddblackhawk

Offline Rajhin (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
Thanks a lot for detailed answer.  Last questions if I may.
Right with the arrival of first freighter civilian mines started popping up on asteroids, is it the freight company sponsorship or is it linked to me building mass driver? Do I need to micro fleet of freighters/put mass drivers on each asteroid to bring the minerals back to colony? The wiki said mineral hauling cannot be serviced by civilians, or was it changed? Hauling manually seems really tiring since this bug where they can't load anything from point blank range with "cannot load X" error.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
If you leave the civilian mining colonies as they are, the minerals will be sold the the market (and vanish) and you get 125 credits per year and mining complex (taxes) for them.
If you want the minerals for yourself (Population and Productions screen, Civilians/Ind Status tab), you will pay the civilians 250 credits per year per mining complex (1 civilian mining complex acts as 10 automated mines). Once you do this, a mass-driver is provided by the civilian mining colony for free.

Note: As you are paying per mining complex and not per ton of minerals, civilian mining colonys with several (many) different minerals, preferably in high concentration, are preferable to those with only a few or even one mineral. Of course, if that civilian mining colony mines that mineral, you desperately need, that might not matter that much.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany