Author Topic: How to set up a multiplayer game?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Llamageddon (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
How to set up a multiplayer game?
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
So is it possible to play multiplayer in any way? I have heard allusions to this on the forums.   I've been playing a legacy game with my friend, taking control of one empire every 5 years between us.   Is there any way to play with two seperate empires taking turns? If you changed empires with SM would the other empire just be left stagnant or would the game actually play anything out with that other empire whilst someone is playing with the new one? If that isn't possible are there any other solutions to playing two player?

I'm also a bit lost on how to do multi-nation earth starts.   That combined with the above would make for a very interesting game with someone else.

The wiki mentioned something about using SM for a refereed multiplayer games so I assume something like this is possible.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How to set up a multiplayer game?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Using SM mode, each player has a password for their race. The SM passes the database file between players. Otherwise you need to hot seat multiplayer.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
Yes multiplayer is possible, but the practicality is still up for debate. To add an empire to go to the System Detail window (F9), select a planet with a potentially inhabitable atmosphere (i.e. Earth), and click 'add empire'. Make the new empire player controlled (and 'human' if Earth starting) and you are done.

From that point changing empires only toggles point of view. The AI will never make issues on your behalf so the game will only process orders you had previously queued up. In practice you issue orders for Empire A, switch empires, issue orders for Empire B, and then advance time. Having a dedicated SM/referee is useful for deciding how much to advance time, which interrupts are important, and optionally issuing new tactical orders to keep the game moving.

For further detail here is a link to a multifaction lets-play I started a couple years back. It didn't last long but it covered basic setup in excessive detail.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?328883-Solar-Strife-Lets-Play-Aurora-4x

The following users thanked this post: Llamageddon

Offline captain_carrot

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
Are TG orders, production orders, etc.  saved even if you don't advance time?  If so, I could see a situation where two players shared the Aurora folder in an equally accessible database somewhere and advanced time when agreed upon and both teams have had a chance to create orders as a slight improvement over PBM, although it would probably get very cumbersome to say the least.

Probably best if your opponent is available for hot seat gaming if you get into a shooting war.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
Yes, every change is constantly saved, as the GUI interacts with the database directly. There is no need to advance time. Forum games are run that way. Each player puts in their orders and designs and what else, then the referee acts as SM and advances time for a set period, after which all players can review events and issue new orders.