Author Topic: Suggestions for v5.1  (Read 37739 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Suggestions for v5.1
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Post your suggestions here for the next version. Any that are DB Changes will have to go in v5.1. Non-DB changes will be put into the next 0.01 version increment. It's better to post suggestions in this thread than creating a separate thread as I will always go back and check this thread. If I logout before answering an independent thread, it's unlikely I will ever respond because it won't show up an a new post.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Suggestions for v4.9
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
me me me first!!
okok..
1) am will a 1.000.000.000.000 stars to conquer..aaand..
2) am will Planetary hex map for planetary assault and disposable..aaaand..
3) a multiplayer Internet game..plus.
4) a NEW icon-ship radar contact...triangle,hexagon etc.etc..
for now ok.
:D

Edit: and a newly Coffee machine ty Steve..:S

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
lol @waresky :)

This is an idea from reading another thread about automated turns that seemed to diverge into talk on NPRs and having to 'wait' for relationships to improve.

Could you add something similar to what is in for multi-player-controlled games where you can 'gift' minerals/wealth/items-in-general to an NPR you have a Trade agreement with to get a slight boost in standings? Make it so you can't shower them with gifts over a short period of time and maybe have it become a negative effect according to to the type of NPR.

Maybe an extension to that could be that when an NPR gets into negative wealth for a period more than say 6 months (i.e. recession) they 'ask' the player for aid? Same for if they are low on minerals, they could ask for minerals and the player could choose to load up a freighter or two and send it to the NPR.

The one thing I can think about gifting wealth is that obviously the NPR won't be using the same currency and there probably wont be an interstellar exchange system in place!

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
lol @waresky :)

This is an idea from reading another thread about automated turns that seemed to diverge into talk on NPRs and having to 'wait' for relationships to improve.

Could you add something similar to what is in for multi-player-controlled games where you can 'gift' minerals/wealth/items-in-general to an NPR you have a Trade agreement with to get a slight boost in standings? Make it so you can't shower them with gifts over a short period of time and maybe have it become a negative effect according to to the type of NPR.

Maybe an extension to that could be that when an NPR gets into negative wealth for a period more than say 6 months (i.e. recession) they 'ask' the player for aid? Same for if they are low on minerals, they could ask for minerals and the player could choose to load up a freighter or two and send it to the NPR.

The one thing I can think about gifting wealth is that obviously the NPR won't be using the same currency and there probably wont be an interstellar exchange system in place!
On the bottom of the Empires menu on the main menu bar is the Foreign Aid window. You can use this to send wealth to other races on an annual basis. Doesn't handle anything beyond wealth at the moment though.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
Ressurecting a couple of old suggestions:

1.  Precursor ships are not built with any of the 'advanced tech' available from ruins (compressed fuel tanks, advanced railguns, heavy lasers, etc.).  I think they should be, so that those components have a chance of being discovered in their wrecks.

2.  Precursors are a set to a similar level in every game, rather than given an amount of tech points relative to the player - which maybe should be the case.

3.  As it stands, the political status modifier of populations exists in discrete, 20% chunks.  A newly-conquered pop produces 20% of normal, until its political status upgrades to Occupied, at which point it suddenly doubles to 40%.  It seems a shame to possess the computing power of a math co-processor and not use it.

I suggest changing the political status modifier and the way it is calculated.  A newly Conquered population should begin at 0% production/trade/wealth, and each production cycle increase its modifier by a factor calculated from the amount by which the current Occupation Strength exceeds the required minimum.  Perhaps cap the increase rate at some amount, so a small mining outpost doesn't immediately jump to full imperial citizenship.  Then a simple derivative ( 1/2 * a * t^2 ) tells you the effective rate at which production occurred over the previous increment.  (Where a is the rate for that increment, and t is the time in seconds.)

The political status of the colony would then be determined by the current modifier, rather than the other way around:
 0% to 20%  Conquered
>20% to 40%  Occupied
etc.

I would expect the Trade & Wealth modifiers to increase more quickly than the Production modifier, maye double - after all, the government still makes money on rebuilding things.  Tremendous profits came out of Europe in the late forties and fifties rebuilding after World War II.

4.  Oh, and a minor thing.  At the bottom of the left panel of the F2 'Population & Production' window is an option to display extra 'Summary Information' in the colony list.  Could we please have production modifiers added as an option?  And have Maintenance Facilities, Maintenance Supplies, and Fuel combined into one option (I'm not sure there's enough space to display all three, in which case I'd still like Supplies & Fuel combined in one entry).[/quote]

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
Add the ability to give government built civvie ships to the shipping lines; essentially a physical subsidy to go with the cash one you can do already.

Those shield techs I keep bothering you about  :wink:

X-ray laser missile warheads.

Cheers

Stephen

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »
I'd like to see an option for unloading x number of something, if this is already in the works IGNORE ME
but really it's a pain when I can pick how many of something to load, but have to unload all of it or none or i'm just not seeing a way to already do that if it exists

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:39:57 PM »
Something I just thought of starting up my new 4.8 game (that I'm pretty sure you never run into).  Every time I start a new game, I have to redo all of my event colors (since they went away with the last DB).  It would be really nice to have an ascii/xml/whatever file similar to racial themes that would be "event color themes".  That way I could just hit the "save event colors" button at the end of my 4.N game and load them into my new 4.N+1 game.

Something else that's been nagging at me the last day or two - I would put more initial variation into the initial NPR reaction.  At present, I think they typically start out at war with you, in which case you can probably keep them from going to war if you put a big diplo team on them (unless you go blundering around in their home system or they decide to colonize one of your systems).

Don't forget the idea that came up a week or two ago about making civie trade goods more meaningful - more impact on economy, plus able to tell which worlds are suited for which good.  It just occured to me that the Galactic Civ might work - they've got resources that essentially give governor-type bonuses when they're exploited, so a shortage of plastics on a world might lower industrial efficiency there (or full-plastics might raise e.g. by 1.1x)  while a shortage of luxury goods might increase unrest or cut wealth production (all the rich people move somewhere else :-) ).

John

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55:26 AM »
I don't know if this is just me or the way that it works for everybody.  I get a lot more increases in my scientists reasearch rate than in their admin rating.  At lower levels of tech it doesn't really make much difference, but when you get to the high level stuff that costs 1m+ points, the admin rating becomes critical to researching things in a reasonable time (2-3 years)  

How about a chance (15%-25%) when a scientist finishes a project using their full admin rating that the rating goes up.  

As an alternate instead of a flat rate chance, have a scientific sector leader whose admin ratings modifies a much lower chance of improving the admin rating.  Either the base rate is like 5% + the admin rating of the sector leader, or make it twice the difference between the sector leaders admin rating and the scientist's admin rating.  With the second idea it would make for an interesting choice for who is put in charge of the sector for scientific research.  (Maybe also have 1/4 of the sector leaders bonus apply like it use to before the changes to the 4 different types of leaders)

both of these ideas are based on the idea that when a project is finished their would be a chance that the leader of the project would have learned how to manage a bigger project.  If they are not working at their full capacity however there is little chance that they would get better.  This would give a player a much better chance of having really good scientists after a few years, and it would make improving your scientists a little harder to do without having lots of labs.  

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »
Suggestion: Rip out the change you just made that requires SM mode for unlock of designs.  I just locked a design that I had no intent of retooling to or building any time soon (I do this a lot), and it was a real pain to get the F5 screen into a state where the unlock button was active.  Ditto for the button to change the location of a fleet (which was made an SM-mode operation in 4.77, I think).  (See bottom of post for alternate solution.)

The reason it's a pain is the following: since the button greys out, I have to do one of the following two procedures:

1)  Close the F5 window.  Find the main menu-bar window and click in it to make it active.  Hit ctrl-s (which isn't always recognized from windows, which is why I need to highlight the main menu-bar).  Hit F5 to open the F5 window in SM mode.  Hit the "unlock" button.  Close the F5 window.  Make the main menu-bar active.  Hit ctrl-o to turn off SM mode.  Open the F5 window.

There are two reasons for going through the above dance: ctrl-s/ctrl-o aren't recognized from all windows (in F5, ctrl-s works, but ctrl-o gives me a "you did something wrong" bell), and screens don't automatically refresh (turning greyed-out buttons on/off) when a transition to/from SM mode occurs.  This is the procedure I've been using for the last couple of weeks for the F12 screen - today it just occured to me that there's a button somewhere to "refresh all screens", which led me to the following process:

2)  Find the main menu-bar and make it active.  Hit ctrl-s.  Find the F2 screen and hit "Refresh All".  Find the F5 screen and hit "unlock".  Find the main menu-bar and hit ctrl-o.  Find the F5 screen and do whatever you were doing.

This is a somewhat smaller procedure than #1, but it's still a lot less ergonomic than "hit the unlock button" :-)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
On the Research tab of the F2 screen:  Always put in the researcher's specialization (vice "none"), even when the researcher's bonus is 0%.  I give researchers "training projects" to give them an opportunity to grow their skills, so a 0% CP researcher is different from a 0% EW to me.

John

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
I would like to see the Lock Design button be available at all times too please!

*now were is my pitch fork*  :twisted:

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:56:20 AM »
How about moving PDC's so that their commanders are drawn from the ground force officer list

Offline Hegemon2

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
I would be nice to compact the screens a little. There's so much space wasted by oversized buttons, boxes and useless frames. Possibly use some Icons instead of pure text.
Captions should be bold instead of marking it's area with a frame.

The Summary Screen in Population and Production could benefit from some better organizations with categorization.

Arbitrary sorting by the user would be appreciated. For example sorting all bodies in the System Overview (F9) by Colony Cost or Mineral Status (0/S/M).

In the Event Manager shorten the date (e.g. 27. Nov. 2047) and put the time in a second line under it.

27. Nov. 2047                    General Event
00:00                                Another Event
00:10                                Another Event
09:15                                Another Event
28. Nov 2047
00:00
and so on.

Oh and Steve, would you mind if one would post information directly from the database onto the wiki (Governments for example), the db being passworded and all?

Great game, btw. :)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
How about moving PDC's so that their commanders are drawn from the ground force officer list

Seconded, with caveats.

I had this thought myself, but then realized that the "crew training" is important for missile-PDC, and that's a Naval trait.  Theoretically, it might make sense to distinguish between barracks-type and missile-type PDC, but from the point of view of coding it up it probably isn't worth it....

John