Author Topic: Why would I learn/play Aurora?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Vesson (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
Why would I learn/play Aurora?
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
Hey guys,

Just thought it might be a good idea here (and elsewhere on the site) to say why anyone would actually play this game.

That sounds a little inflammitory but its a legitimate question.

Why would I go through learning how to play this game instead of jumping straight into an easy game of <insert MOO clone name here>.

What is it you're getting from playing Aurora that you don't from these games?

Looking forward to hear some interesting responses!

Cheers,
Jon

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Why would I learn/play Aurora?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
Because of the depth, depth and, did I mention depth?   :)

Seriously, for me, Aurora is the most addictive game I have come across in over 20 years of gaming. Yes there quite a few favorites over that time. Elite (Mid-80s)  Pool of Radiance (AD&D late 80s), Mechwarrior series (mainly, because I loved the boardgame), VGA-Planets 4 (1-Person-made Space X4), WITP-AE. But Aurora takes the cake.

Total freedom in the game, do whatever you want.

Probably the most realistic Space 4x, definitely the most realistic I have ever played.

Roleplaying yay, the immersion-factor is simply through the roof!

And last but not least: Steve! Responsive, interested in our views and allways open to suggestions.
I can´t thank him enough for letting us (me) play this great game of his!!!

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
A lot of games are limited by plot or artificial victory conditions, i.e. Civ series - win by 2050 or game over. Not so in Aurora.
Some games offer complete customization of ships, with only their limited selection of gear. Not so in Aurora.

In fact, I'd say the only limiting factor to Aurora is Steve usually releases a new version before I've "finished" the game I'm playing.

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
A few chums of mine have asked me the same, as they see Aurora as "Excel 2: Return of The Spreadsheets". I see it as an immersive piece of glorius spreadsheet. I kinda the spreadsheet-y aspect of it.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
A few chums of mine have asked me the same, as they see Aurora as "Excel 2: Return of The Spreadsheets". I see it as an immersive piece of glorius spreadsheet. I kinda the spreadsheet-y aspect of it.

Most games of this genre are spreadsheet games, however they cloak it with pretty graphics. Aurora just strips the genre down to the basics, from a programming point.

I honestly cannot think of any other 4x computer game that allows the level of customization and detail that Aurora does.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »
For me, the reasons are varied.  One is my love for science fiction, in all forms.  Aurora is just an excellent example of a great big SF sandbox, which also happens to be after my own heart.  Who wouldn't want to be able to conquer and rule over a vast galactic empire?
More practically, Aurora's the only game of its kind I can play.  I happen to be totally blind, and while there are many multiplayer 4x-style games online which are at least somewhat accessible, there's a distinct lack of single player offerings.  If I want a game of MOO, I have to find a friend willing to read the screen to me and let me play by proxy, not always practical.  With Aurora, massive complexity aside, I can do it whenever the mood strikes me.  The game wasn't designed to be playable by the blind, but thanks to some quirks of fate and the good will of Steve, it is.  I can't stress enough how nice that freedom to play whenever I care to is.

Offline Vesson (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
Quote from: zkline link=topic=3298. msg31650#msg31650 date=1299028780
For me, the reasons are varied.   One is my love for science fiction, in all forms.   Aurora is just an excellent example of a great big SF sandbox, which also happens to be after my own heart.   Who wouldn't want to be able to conquer and rule over a vast galactic empire?
More practically, Aurora's the only game of its kind I can play.   I happen to be totally blind, and while there are many multiplayer 4x-style games online which are at least somewhat accessible, there's a distinct lack of single player offerings.   If I want a game of MOO, I have to find a friend willing to read the screen to me and let me play by proxy, not always practical.   With Aurora, massive complexity aside, I can do it whenever the mood strikes me.   The game wasn't designed to be playable by the blind, but thanks to some quirks of fate and the good will of Steve, it is.   I can't stress enough how nice that freedom to play whenever I care to is.

Wow that's epic.  Nice work Steve!!

Thanks for the replies so far!

Maybe Steve could chime in?  :D

Offline CoreRemnant

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
I think i described it to a friend once as a Computer Aided Fiction Generation System ;D.

I remember what caught my attention was ship and component designs.  This and many of the other features feed into a general role play feeling.

Also its free.

Quote from: zkline link=topic=3298. msg31650#msg31650 date=1299028780
Aurora is just an excellent example of a great big SF sandbox
I think this sums it up really.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
This may seem boring to other people but I like the exploration/colonization aspect of the game.  I generally play with the various opponents turned off.  The Orbital Habitats will increase my enjoyment even more (once 5.4 comes out and I can play the game again).

I think that this just shows that Steve managed to write a game that appeals to many different player types.