Author Topic: Portable release - comments  (Read 48090 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
Re: Portable release - comments
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
I laughed when I read this.  I thought, 'It couldn't possibly be that simple.'

Turns out it is that simple.  Mission accomplished.  Thank you very much, sir. 

*boggle*

Offline EnzoAkira

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »
hi everyone!
Thank you for a very challenging game.
I recently tested the Aurora (a few months), with the portable version (with wrapper, by AcidWeb) but I have a small suggestion:
- Place the wrapper in resizable window.
At this time I play with 2 monitors, but having the wrapper in fullscreen, I can not use one of the monitors for other tasks.

Excellent job
Thank you

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2016, 02:53:34 AM »
Quote from: EnzoAkira link=topic=6141.  msg86693#msg86693 date=1455711367
hi everyone!
Thank you for a very challenging game.   
I recently tested the Aurora (a few months), with the portable version (with wrapper, by AcidWeb) but I have a small suggestion:
- Place the wrapper in resizable window.   
At this time I play with 2 monitors, but having the wrapper in fullscreen, I can not use one of the monitors for other tasks.   

Excellent job
Thank you

Was going to post the same thing.   And if you have large resolution monitors you can't hide the economics window along spreadsheets.   :(

EDIT: Turns out you can, but you have to select windows in the correct order . . .  or something.  Sometimes the wallpaper pops up.

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
Bug in 6. 41 Launcher.  If Aurora is installed in a directory with a space, the following error occurs when accessing the System Information page (F9).  This happens on Windows 7 64-bit.  Works fine if the space is removed from the directory name.

Code: [Select]
Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL.

Installed Portable 7.1 - just downloaded an hour ago.
Installed both linked vs_redist's (2015) - still error and crash of Aurora (-1).
It's on NTFS and no spaces in folder name (G:\Aurora).

You wrote you've tested Windows 10 (?) x64 - I use Windows 10 Pro x64.
Checked against my prior Windows 7 Pro x64 installation - different gif's and bmp's as expected but anything else is identically (except fresh Stevefire.mdb).
Which means MSSTDFMT.DLL is not missing but "not registered".

Language Pack is English (US) while Keyboard switched automatically from German (DE) to US (US). Number format is either English (decimal dot and grouping/separator comma).

While Steve wrote that starting Aurora and exit would reset the Windows menus that's not what happend. I had to change the theme to revert it back to normal.

Have I something forgotten?
I would really appreciate not being forced to install two decades old dll's into Windows 10 ;)

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »
Currently most common cause of -1 error is lack of any enabled audio device. I will fix it in next release.

Theme problems are normal. Steve shutdown code don't fix everything.

Offline Nyvis

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »
Your wrapper messes with the infinite screen software I use to be able to play aurora, probably because the game windows are tied to it. If I launch with it, the windows stay static if I scroll my screen.

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »
Currently most common cause of -1 error is lack of any enabled audio device. I will fix it in next release.

Theme problems are normal. Steve shutdown code don't fix everything.
Second (short) try, lost a whole bunch before posting :(

Audio device is enabled; using Aurora.ini (portable default) I hear music right after starting Aurora Wrapper.
Enabling music and voice ingame doesn't make a difference.
Also "musicdisabled = 1" nor "musicvolume = 90.3" has any effect - same loudness.

Your MSSTDFMT.DLL and MSVBVM60.DLL are exactly the same as I could find (just in case).

Running 3840x2160 side by side with 1920x1080 background overlaps ~50% (eye measured) of the second display. You can handle this i.e. with Alt-Tab. Win-Shift-RigthArrow will place any Aurora-Window far outside - just use drag 'n' drop instead. No problem using Excel side by side with Aurora Portable.

Galactic Map will become hidden after opening System Map. Same for some other windows and Map occasionally and vice versa.

Tested compatibility modes: 95/98/Me end up with "Fatal Error!" while XP/XP SP2/XP SP3/Vista/7/8 end up with reported one.

So far (tested all documented (Ctrl-)F?? and Ctrl-?) it seems only System Information (F9 and Ctrl-A + Open) is affected.

Hope that helps...

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »
I've found out 4 different versions, 2 of them at microsoft. Your version of 1999 and the latest date of 2010. Made no difference (as expected).
I've also checked your code at GitHub. For some reason line 133 (Aurora.py) isn't executed properly.
Aurora_Wrapper is started with Admin but MSSTDFMT.DLL isn't registered. When I register it by my own using
G:\Aurora>regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll it works.

Here's a batchfile
[member=559]Echo[/member] off
cd /D G:\Aurora
regsvr32 /s msstdfmt.dll
start "" /D "G:\Aurora" /B "Aurora_Wrapper.exe"
pause
regsvr32 /s /u msstdfmt.dll
Use a shortcut to force Administrator. "/WAIT" doesn't work for x86, therefore pause is necessary.

And a powerscript
if (!([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) {
   Start-Process powershell.exe "-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File `"$PSCommandPath`"" -Verb RunAs;
   exit
}
cd G:\Aurora
regsvr32 /s msstdfmt.dll
start G:\Aurora\Aurora_Wrapper.exe -Wait
regsvr32 /s /u msstdfmt.dll
which forces Administrator by itself.

Neither will restore the theme. Maybe someone else could help?

Note: Keep in mind to change the location depending on your installation properly! Mine is "G:\Aurora".

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
using Aurora.ini (portable default) I hear music right after starting Aurora Wrapper.
Enabling music and voice ingame doesn't make a difference.
Also "musicdisabled = 1" nor "musicvolume = 90.3" has any effect - same loudness.

Running 3840x2160 side by side with 1920x1080 background overlaps ~50% (eye measured) of the second display. You can handle this i.e. with Alt-Tab. Win-Shift-RigthArrow will place any Aurora-Window far outside - just use drag 'n' drop instead. No problem using Excel side by side with Aurora Portable.
I've "found" the music related keys - they are below my visual screen ;)
Seems the wrapper wraps about 5760x3240 centered at primary display (1.5 times 3840x2160).

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2016, 01:36:03 AM »
Is there any way to get rid of the full screen background image?  I like to be able to access my desktop when playing and that is very disruptive to that.  I don't remember that being there last time I installed this.  I skimmed around this thread for several pages but couldn't find anything pertaining to that.

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
Is there any way to get rid of the full screen background image?  I like to be able to access my desktop when playing and that is very disruptive to that.  I don't remember that being there last time I installed this.  I skimmed around this thread for several pages but couldn't find anything pertaining to that.

I'm interested in this too. Was introduced in ... 7.0 I guess? Thereabout anyway.

Offline seronis

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
AcidWeb is the person doing this package and has stated in reddit threads that he has no intention of removing the fullscreen image from his wrapper launcher.   

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
Eh. Vox populi, vox Dei.

I will add option to disable it in next release.

Offline Steven Wargames

• Leading Rate
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
I don't know how to fix this error ???

Offline Prapor

• Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
Any way to disable full screen picture? I play from work and the boss asks the questions - what have you got for a pretty space picture? Even though I play in between jobs, but the boss does not approve of this.