Author Topic: How to disable communication attempt  (Read 2643 times)

Offline The_Draf (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
How to disable communication attempt
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:32:04 AM »
Hi

I just found what I think is my first remnant.  Before it started shooting down my ships I think I got a popup asking me if I wanted establish communications with the aliens.  I pressed yes.  Now I keep getting this a message every 5 days saying:
"Attempting communications with Luyten 726-8 Aliens #192: No Progress: The contact team is starting to consider that communication might be impossible.  -2 to future communication rolls"

I have search through the menus and the internet and I can not find out how to turn off the communication attempts. 

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: How to disable communication attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:38:17 AM »
You can´t.

The team will continue until they either decide that communication is indeed impossible, or they manage to establish communications.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
You can use some hand-wavium and in SM mode, go to the alien intelligence tab and use the"communicate" button to instantly communicate with them and end the interrupts.

Offline The_Draf (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »
You can´t.

The team will continue until they either decide that communication is indeed impossible, or they manage to establish communications.

Just out of curiosity, how bad does it have to get before they consider it impossible?
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:30 AM »
You´d have to ask Steve as I don´t know. My guess would be your "score" would have to reach -50 or -100 or so.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
You´d have to ask Steve as I don´t know. My guess would be your "score" would have to reach -50 or -100 or so.

The roll is 1 to 100

Modified by average translation skills of the two species and any previous progress modifiers. Also -50 for spoilers

-51 or less is impossible
100 or higher is communication achieved
In between are various future progress modifiers

Offline Noriad

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:47:15 AM »
Apologies for necro'ing an old thread but the first poster did not get an answer to his question on how to stop communication attempts with aliens.   

In the "intelligence and foreign relations" window (upper right button on the system map) there is a button called "remove race".   This does not remove the race, it only erases your knowledge of it.   As soon as you make contact again, you start fresh from your perspective (the aliens may disagree). 

This is also how to restart attempts at communication if the previous contact team just gave up: "the contact team believe this race is too
alien and communication can never be established.   No further attempts will be made.  "

From a roleplay perspective: the previous contact team tried to hide their incompetence by blaming the aliens for being alien, so you kick them out the airlock and demote them to painting spaceships for the rest of their lives, while you bring in a new contact team that hopefully is more competent. 

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Aren't Diplomatic Teams the ones to communicate with Alien Races?

Even if a player disbands all these Diplomatic Teams will the Player Race still attempt to communicate to receive appropriate messages?

DavidR