Author Topic: New player woes...  (Read 3736 times)

Offline DaMachinator (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
New player woes...
« on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:26 PM »
Impending gallicite shortage. Ancient and slow freighters. Hostiles next door to Sol.
None of the Sol gas giants have sorium deposits worth mining. Titan is my best supply of that until I get some intersystem tankers. Need more survey ships - have 3 geosurvey and 2 gravisurvey, all outdated and rather expensive. Need more labs. Need more conyards to make said labs. Need more mass drivers. Wish I hadn't spent time refitting my survey craft with useless size-1 passive thermals instead of making dedicated scout craft.
Also I'm rather low on Uridium.

What should I do?

Good news: I found a dead end system with a good sorium gas giant and made jump gates.
I have decided scout craft.
There's an asteroid close enough to the hostile's JP so I put DSTS's on it. 
I have two big naval yards with 800+ mod rate and 10 kiloton+ capacity.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:18:27 PM by DaMachinator »
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: New player woes...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:36:14 PM »
Have you started mining Venus yet?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »
I'm mining all of the inner planets except Mars and it's moons. Luna too. Mercury is a pretty good source of minerals in this playthrough. I dropped off a geo team there in hopes of getting better accessibility on some minerals.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Iranon

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 12:27:57 AM »
Are you going out of your way to limit expenditure of Gallicite and Sorium?

Large, low-powered engines taking up about half of your craft is very economical on both... and I'm fond of that design practice for other reasons.
Note that build cost of engines scales quadratically below 1.0 power multiplier... half as powerful, a quarter the cost.

The following users thanked this post: DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
Are you going out of your way to limit expenditure of Gallicite and Sorium?

Large, low-powered engines taking up about half of your craft is very economical on both... and I'm fond of that design practice for other reasons.
Note that build cost of engines scales quadratically below 1.0 power multiplier... half as powerful, a quarter the cost.

Aside from the scout craft where space constraints were a thing because I wanted to reuse an already researched jump drive design, the only engine ANYTHING has is the max size min power engine. (A really big ion engine.) Some things use two or three.

Iranon

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
Seems you're doing a lot of things right under current circumstances.
What's the lowest power multiplier available to you though?

I still find 0.5 excessive for most civilian and even some military applications, I typically reserch down to 0.3 before I build any ships in a standard TN start. When short on Sorium and Gallicite specificially, I might drop lower.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
I learned to love building a whole classes (generally I call them corvettes) using commercial engines as they are dirty cheap to make and are useful for filling out your fleets.  It sounds like you have a good grasp of the game - so good job!
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Seems you're doing a lot of things right under current circumstances.
What's the lowest power multiplier available to you though?

I still find 0.5 excessive for most civilian and even some military applications, I typically reserch down to 0.3 before I build any ships in a standard TN start. When short on Sorium and Gallicite specificially, I might drop lower.

I haven't researched down or up any, although I might research up for missile engines. I think I have .3 or .2 minimum power. I did make one ship that used a 100% power engine, because GOTTA GO FAST and space constraints imposed by a preexisting jump drive design I wanted to reuse.

I learned to love building a whole classes (generally I call them corvettes) using commercial engines as they are dirty cheap to make and are useful for filling out your fleets.  It sounds like you have a good grasp of the game - so good job!

Everything I've built so far (no warships yet) aside from two scout craft uses one or more of the same 50HS .3 or .2 power multiplier commercial engine. I'd like to have Fuel Efficiency .7, but I don't (yet).

I also just realized that I'm short of Uridium too, which I need even more of. However, I did finally finish an asteroid mining module.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:18:14 PM by DaMachinator »

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
you can also put auto mines on asteroids. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
you can also put auto mines on asteroids.

I know, but my survey ships are preoccupied elsewhere. Might as well build a redesign of my salvager class to use miners instead of salvaging modules.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
Don't forget to add a colony on them or the minerals will just delete themselves.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 10:20:31 PM »
Don't forget to add a colony on them or the minerals will just delete themselves.
Um, what? I guess it's a good thing I haven't surveyed any of them yet.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:40:30 AM »

Um, what? I guess it's a good thing I haven't surveyed any of them yet.

Your asteroid mining ship needs to be orbiting a colony (not just the rock itself), or the minerals produced will evaporate forever. Speaking of which, I vaguely remember this bug may have been fixed?, but for a long while it was necessary with these (and similar types of ships, like sorium harvesters) to make sure every ship Moved to the destination before it did anything like merging with a Task Group already there.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:39 AM »
I think it's still the case with terraformers.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
That's the case with asteroid miners, terraformers, sodium harvesters, and orbital habitats, Basically the database won't update properly unless the ship goes to the body which will then trigger the production calculation.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "