Author Topic: Launching fighters from multi-CV TG  (Read 1531 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Launching fighters from multi-CV TG
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:28:44 AM »
Hi,

I have not found an easy way to do that, despite having all fighters neatly organized in squadrons (one squadron per CV) in the fighter window (which is buggy, that's the issue, the launch button in the Fighter Squadrons Window does nothing at all, where as the tooltip indicates it should launch the fighters in a new TG!). What I would like is to minimize the amount of search and clicks when I want to only launch the fighters of a specific CV, in a TG having several carriers. The fighters would be launched in their own TG.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:33:51 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
Re: Launching fighters from multi-CV TG
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
The only thing I can see about your 'fighter launch' issue is that you need to highlight the correct carrier for the squadron you want to launch in the 'motherships' scroll-down menu in that Fighter Squadrons Window.

How I minimise searching squadrons to carriers is by adding the right carrier to the squadron's name; something like the '1st Strike Squadron (ENT)'. I can now tell that this squadron is on the carrier ENTREPRISE.

Good luck!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
The only thing I can see about your 'fighter launch' issue is that you need to highlight the correct carrier for the squadron you want to launch in the 'motherships' scroll-down menu in that Fighter Squadrons Window.

How I minimise searching squadrons to carriers is by adding the right carrier to the squadron's name; something like the '1st Strike Squadron (ENT)'. I can now tell that this squadron is on the carrier ENTREPRISE.

Good luck!

You can use the naval organisation tab to organise fighters into multi-CV groups and launch them all with a single click.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 03:21:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I believe I did not use the launch button in the fighter squadrons window properly. I did not understood that I had to select in the drop down box the carrier. For me, once the squadron was selected, launch would do the thing.

As for the fleet organization window, being a bit convoluted, I did not try it yet.

Just found something that works rather well even if a bit crude in approach. Just select-split the carrier, it will form a TG with his accompanying parasites* (I just hate this wording btw  ;D ), then launch the fighters in their own TG, and finally put back the carrier into the main fleet. A bit more click heavy, but reasonably convenient.

*: alternative terms that feel less like blood sucking ticks: guests, hosted, dependents,

Offline PDM

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:05:05 AM »
I used to use the the Fighter Organization window, too.  However, after some experimentation with the Naval Organization tab of the Task Groups window, I have completely abandoned the Fighter Organization window.  As Steve points out, it really is a "one-click" operation, once you've set up your organizational structure.  Here's what I do:

(1) Organizational set-up:

Create a sub-branch of the carrier task group containing just the carriers themselves.  (This is not strictly necessary, but it helps keep large task groups organized. ) Within the carrier branch, create a sub-branch that will eventually include all of the carrier's fighters--think of this as the "umbrella branch".  Within the umbrella branch, create individual sub-branches for each carrier, that will contain only that carrier's fighters--the "squadron branches".  (At this point, the umbrella and squadron branches will be completely empty--they are just placeholders on the fleet organizational chart. )

(2) Initial fighter assignments:

(a) Once the fighters are built, go to the Task Group Window, select the Naval Organization tab, and in the branch window, choose the squadron to which the fighters will be assigned.  Then, in the top window, select the TG that currently contains the newly-built fighters.  (By default, this will be "New Fighters". ) Using the "Add Ship" or "Add TG" button (second set of organizational buttons), add all of the desired fighters to the chosen squadron in the branch window.   

(b) Now, with the squadron branch selected, "Add" that branch to the Stored Branch List (bottom set of organizational buttons).  Make sure to "Clear" any prior stored branches! Next, in the branch window, select the specific carrier that will be the mothership, and then click the "Assign MS" button (second set of organizational buttons).  Finally, reselect the the squadron branch, and click the "Land Branch" button (third set of organizational buttons).  Voila! Your fighters have landed on their carrier, and have been transferred from the construction TG to the mothership's TG.   

(3) Launching parasites:

(a) To launch an individual fighter squadron, select its branch in the organization window, and click the "Branch Only" button.  You now have a separate TG containing the fighters, with a TG name identical to the squadron name from the branch window.   

(b) To launch all carriers' fighters into a single TG, select the umbrella branch that has all of the squadron sub-branches, and click the "Branch + Sub" button.  You'll get a TG with the name of the umbrella branch, containing all fighters from all squadrons.   

Also, note that this system works for any parasite-mothership configuration, not just fighters.  It works for FACs and FAC carriers, for survey/scout carriers with multiple larger-than-FAC vessels, and for "leviathan" jump-carriers that haul one or more full-fledged fleet combat vessels--these are all assignments that cannot be made through the Fighter Organization window.   

As an added bonus, it is also a lot easier to reassign fighter squadrons using the Naval Organization tab.  For example, when a new generation of fighter becomes available, I typically consign the older models to my "colonial defense fleet", assigning them to a fighter-base PDC somewhere.  I fly the carrier to the colony, and rename its fighter branch from, say, "Apache Squadron 001" to "Colonial Squadron 015".  I then use the organizational buttons to Store that squadron, select the branch containing the fighter-PDC, then Move the squadron, and finally use (2b) above to assign the squadron to the PDC and land them.  I then create a new (empty) fighter branch for the carrier, ready to accept the top-of-the-line fighters once it returns to base.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:13:50 AM by PDM »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:07:09 AM »
If Naval Organization is an unknown Black Hole to you (as it usually is to newer players), check out my barebones explanation here:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=7615.0
Naval Organization Examples for Ease-Of-Life

Someone else made an even better guide just for fighter and CV operations but of course I can't find it now.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »
Ah yes, it's in Academy and not Fleet Ops. Cheers.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 07:52:05 AM »
Thanks a lot for the answers btw