Author Topic: Interrupts and Automated Turns  (Read 1443 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Interrupts and Automated Turns
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
I think I need to summarise the situation with regard to interrupts, increment adjustments and automated turns in v5.0 as the information is scattered in several places and I am getting confused myself at the moment :)

Just to clarify, an interrupt means an event partway through an increment that ends the current increment at the end of the current sub-pulse. Only certain events are flagged as interrupt events so not every event causes an interrupt. An increment adjustment is where the program checks ahead before the increment takes place to see what is going to happen and makes the increment shorter as a result. This is not the same as an interrupt. An interrupt or an increment adjustment does not end automated turns. That only happens as a result of an interrupt for the currently selected race, so I think we need a term for that situation too. Perhaps a Current Race Interrupt.

In v5.0 there are no NPR-related interrupts with the exception of detection events where a player race has been detected. This may lead to some weird NPR combats in the background but it is unlikely anyone is going to see them anyway. Interrupts still remain in force for all Player Races. However, only an interrupt for the currently selected race will end automated turns due to a Current Race Interrupt.

This caused a slight problem in my current campaign when a non-current player race had a freighter destroyed and I didn't notice it. Although it caused an interrupt and shortened the increment, it wasn't a Current Race Interrupt, so automated turns continued. So I think I will have to change the situation to an interrupt for any player race wil end automated turns, even if it isn't the current race.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Interrupts and Automated Turns
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
This caused a slight problem in my current campaign when a non-current player race had a freighter destroyed and I didn't notice it. Although it caused an interrupt and shortened the increment, it wasn't a Current Race Interrupt, so automated turns continued. So I think I will have to change the situation to an interrupt for any player race wil end automated turns, even if it isn't the current race.

I was already thinking that this would be a problem while reading, and was going to suggest what you said (end automated turns for any player race interrupt).

John