Off Topic > Game/Book Reviews

Falling Frontier - Space RTS with Aurora-like attention to detail and warfare?

(1/4) > >>

TMaekler:
We'll have to see if the game will be as complex as we expect from Aurora. But it looks promising:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

A review can be found here:

Stormtrooper:
civilization with FTL drive invented

limited to one solar system

pick one

As much as it looks so cool, one solar system is a deal breaker for me. Come on, FTL drive and yet nobody seems to do interstellar travel.

kingflute:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on January 26, 2021, 11:44:21 AM ---As much as it looks so cool, one solar system is a deal breaker for me. Come on, FTL drive and yet nobody seems to do interstellar travel.

--- End quote ---
FTL does not always mean interstellar.
How much fuel is required per unit of distance?
How accurate is your drive at light year distances?

Stormtrooper:
This is just a matter of engineering. Having FTL drive and not going interstellar is like using a transatlantic ship to cross a local river and go back. The idea of a game containing FTL drive but no interstellar exploration seems so bizarre and wrong to me, that's all.

TheTalkingMeowth:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on January 26, 2021, 12:35:48 PM ---This is just a matter of engineering. Having FTL drive and not going interstellar is like using a transatlantic ship to cross a local river and go back. The idea of a game containing FTL drive but no interstellar exploration seems so bizarre and wrong to me, that's all.

--- End quote ---

I dunno. If your FTL is "2x lightspeed," interstellar exploration will be a thing but a true interstellar civ probably won't be. Not when every trip is several years.

And, similarly, no engineering can resolve a problem along the lines of "fuel consumption scales with the cube of the distance traveled" when combined with "every jump places major stresses on the hardware."

Like, yes that's an engineering challenge. But that doesn't mean there is a commercially viable solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version