Author Topic: Xenoarchaeology Equipment generate Intel Points  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Cobaia (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
Xenoarchaeology Equipment generate Intel Points
« on: July 02, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »
Hello,

I don't know if this is implemented but I will post my suggestion anyway.

In the combat round where you get information about the enemy composition, since you are getting intel on what weapons/number of units the enemy has the xenoarchaeology equipment should provide a bonus to the accuracy that we get that intel.

What is your opinion on this?

The following users thanked this post: esavier

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Re: Xenoarchaeology Equipment generate Intel Points
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
I would rather see dedicate sensor equipped ground units rather than repurposing the xenoarchaelogists.

As it currently stands, I believe your xenoarch's can help your ground troops in combat by recovering xeno technology from abandoned worlds prior to combat. I know for a fact that I have found missile caches on abandoned alien worlds and have been able to study the missile designs as a result. I am not sure if xenoarch's can recover unit designs, but if they currently cannot, I think this would be a useful improvement and would allow the player to tailor any ground troops to those xeno's in the future.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:08:19 PM by liveware »
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 06:49:40 PM »
Xenoarchaeology is about the careful recovery and study of ancient remains, I fail to see how that applies at all to an active combat situation.

If ground combat created some sort of minor archaeology site after combat ceases then I could see a role for Xenoarchaeology units digging them up and deciphering the wreckage. However at the moment you gain intel on hostile ground units by engaging them in combat so I don't think this would be terribly useful.

The following users thanked this post: davidb86, DIT_grue

Offline esavier

• Petty Officer
  • e
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 08:30:59 PM »
Again, very good idea, and hard decision to make.
xenoarcheologists, should not be taken as indiana jones kinds of guys brushing sand off some vases. Since this is military unit i assume those are more like combat scientists. Currently there are combat engineers in army and despite the name those are guys keeping the power generator in base working, changing CAN bus in humvee, recovering broken vehicles or armament, setting wifi in barracs or securing antennas and radar instalations. Those are armed (combat thingy in the name) guys, and trained to some extent, but fighting is not their best use, and are not used in that way mostly at all.

in my opinion xenoarcheologists are the science guys that can determine what is worth taking, whenever that rock/rubble/pertruding-in-your-face-barrel-thats-definitively-loaded-with-bad-stuff/writing/vase is worth, and safe  to take with you.

IMO its not necessary bad to add such quality to the xenoarcheologists (especially that those are mostly just standing there most of the time) or it can be done with other unit too, but the issue with that naming stuff, (post by Migi) you are against it just because bad naming (-archeologists stuff in xenoarcheoligists), so there is a good chance that this could be solved just by changing unit name to xenoanalytics.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
in my opinion xenoarcheologists are the science guys that can determine what is worth taking, whenever that rock/rubble/pertruding-in-your-face-barrel-thats-definitively-loaded-with-bad-stuff/writing/vase is worth, and safe  to take with you.

IMO its not necessary bad to add such quality to the xenoarcheologists (especially that those are mostly just standing there most of the time) or it can be done with other unit too, but the issue with that naming stuff, (post by Migi) you are against it just because bad naming (-archeologists stuff in xenoarcheoligists), so there is a good chance that this could be solved just by changing unit name to xenoanalytics.

- I like this. I want this with the addition of such units providing bonuses from being aboard captured enemy vessels as well. This is a good idea. :)

The following users thanked this post: esavier

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 11:21:49 PM »
I mean, I personally think that if you flatten the aliens with nukes you should be able to drop archeology teams on the flaming ruins and and get intel/tech that way... not just with ancient ruins.