Author Topic: How to reach distant planets?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Delfont (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
How to reach distant planets?
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »
In my new game I've discovered a binary system with some choice planets circling the second star.  But they're so far away from the jump point I could never reach them with conventional engines.

I know there used to be a hyperdrive for these types of situations but I think that's been disabled.  Is there anything I can do here to bring those planets into play? I would be willing to SM something, but I can't seem to make it work.

There are two super jovians circling the second star and they have Lagrange points, but there's no Lagrange point at the primary star to get me there.

I thought maybe SM would let me adjust the orbital distance of the second star, but I can't seem to do that.  I thought I might add a super jovian and Lagrange point on the primary star, but I can't seem to do that.

Any ideas?

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
Re: How to reach distant planets?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »
Hyperdrive has been disabled during the switch to 6.00, due to problems with the speed/fuel modification.

You can't adjust systems with SM. No new planets, distance modifications, etc.

The "normal" way to go would be slow, large Engines with tons of fuel to get a ship out there.

The SM way is Task Groups (F12) > History/Officers/Misc > Set Task Group Position

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
Hyperdrive has been disabled during the switch to 6.00, due to problems with the speed/fuel modification.
The "normal" way to go would be slow, large Engines with tons of fuel to get a ship out there.
The SM way is Task Groups (F12) > History/Officers/Misc > Set Task Group Position
Another alternative is to SM in some fuel harvesters at the super Jovians and make the fastest most efficient engines you can that will just barely get there without running out. Or use probes, but if the distance is too extreme you have a risk of getting errors as i recall.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
Just a quick question. See in my early play, when doing conventional engined geo survey ship (yeah O know its a bad idea) I would run into the problem of they cant actually reach the outer planets and catch up to them, if their speed is too low. (Only way to reach them is to picket the orbital path, and wait a few years for the planet to run into me)

Considering the extreme range in  some of these binary systems, could that start happening with modrately fast trans newtonians?

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »

Considering the extreme range in  some of these binary systems, could that start happening with modrately fast trans newtonians?

Moderately? No.
I think you need speed less than 50-100 km/s to not be able to catch up to planets.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
I might also add that in some cases you just accept the fact it's not worth even trying. At least not until you have much more advanced technology.

From a realistic point of view I don't see a reason to do 30-40 billion journeys when it's just easier to keep pushing the frontier forward instead. Even if you find some good resources they will be very hard to get to anyway.

But other than that you need ships that have lots of fuel efficient engines so you get both speed and fuel efficiency. You could make a ship that has like 50-60% engines and have a goo at it.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
Also, don't use Mass Drivers between the stars if the distance is larger than 10 billion klicks, you'll get errors for every mineral packet.

Offline Delfont (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Looks like I'll leave these planets alone for now.