Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 449077 times)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2565 on: February 03, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »
Yeah, not untrue but much less true in the modern era.  Ancient armies weren’t paid (they plundered) and typically didn’t have a unifying subordinate interest to the state.  I suspect Aurora armies would be professional armies in the 21st century sense who might quit the field but aren’t going to turn en masse and give up their weapons and equipment to rebels.  Of course, this is all RP dependent on what your flavor is....

Less untrue then you think. A number of revolutions in the 20th and early 21st century happened with little bloodshed because the national military basically went 'you know what, these guys are right, the boss is a terrible jerk and we'd like to be rid of him too' and promptly either helped or stood aside. This is one of the reasons why dictatorships depend on mercenaries for at least part of their military might.

Because you can buy the loyalty of mercenaries and they mostly don't care about what the locals think so long as they get paid. Conscripts and volunteer soldiers from your own nation? They do care, because they are also people from the country the dictator is running.

Maybe they should all be based on different variations of the People's Front of Judea :)

But surely not variants of the Judean People's Front.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2566 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:51 PM »
Maybe they should all be based on different variations of the People's Front of Judea :)

But what have the Precursors ever done for us?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2567 on: February 03, 2020, 11:56:15 PM »

For a start they've left us "huge tracts of land".
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2568 on: February 04, 2020, 12:46:34 AM »
I would personally suggest that the majority of the garrison stay loyal in those cases for now (though maybe they get swamped by angry heavily armed locals).  My general understanding is the sympathy of the garrison to the locals cause tends to have a lot to do with where the troops were raised from.  If they were recruited from that planet they are much more likely to side with the locals than if they came from somewhere different.

If they mostly stay loyal for now, then perhaps loyalty based on where the troops came from could be added in as a feature later.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2569 on: February 04, 2020, 01:12:49 AM »
I would personally suggest that the majority of the garrison stay loyal in those cases for now (though maybe they get swamped by angry heavily armed locals).  My general understanding is the sympathy of the garrison to the locals cause tends to have a lot to do with where the troops were raised from.  If they were recruited from that planet they are much more likely to side with the locals than if they came from somewhere different.

If they mostly stay loyal for now, then perhaps loyalty based on where the troops came from could be added in as a feature later.

To be honest troops stationed anywhere in particular long enough become local population no matter you like it or not. Unless you are willing to continually rotate troops around or have access to foreign mercenaries that can be hired for short time frames and redeployed on occasion then the troops will become part of the population eventually.

If the troops are from a different species things might be different though... but then you still probably would assume they have their families there with them if they are stationed there for a very long time.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2570 on: February 04, 2020, 01:23:45 AM »
In my defense I tend to headcanon that they do the current US federal troop practice of putting soldiers families in their home bases, and then troops will rotate out into a deployment and others will rotate back in without necessarily dissolving or relocating the unit that they are a part of.  In other words I tend to assume that is generally happening on a slow burn, since that tends to be necessary anyways to give people a break.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2571 on: February 04, 2020, 07:49:58 AM »
In my defense I tend to headcanon that they do the current US federal troop practice of putting soldiers families in their home bases, and then troops will rotate out into a deployment and others will rotate back in without necessarily dissolving or relocating the unit that they are a part of.  In other words I tend to assume that is generally happening on a slow burn, since that tends to be necessary anyways to give people a break.

I would agree that this rationalisation work to a certain degree. It completely depend on the situation and why a rebellion occur. A democratic nations soldiers being stationed in an otherwise democratic area that simply want independence  might very well gain the sympathy of the soldiers stationed there and they will basically react with apathy or even go over to the other side if they have families there.

The soldiers might view the local population as otherwise friendly and see how corrupt their own government is in comparison in other circumstances. Or simply they don't want to risk their life for a cause they don't believe in.

There can be many scenarios where no matter what you do it will not be enough as it is mainly a war of ideologies and not weapons.

The war in Vietnam that started long before even WW2 was mainly a war of ideologies too... it was not directly won with weapons. As one example...

From a role-play perspective you can rationalise it either way.

If Steve want to incorporate some details you could perhaps choose the type of forces in on a planet. Are they local militia, regulars or galactic troops. How are they interacting with the locals, do they interfere with local government, policing the streets or outright suppressing the populations using harsh means. Whatever you decide to do it would then have consequence on what can happen on that planet.
Having the force being local regular soldiers means they cost normal maintenance while having galactic troops would raise the maintenance on the troops but also make them more loyal to the central government.

It then also would be important which planet is the empires capital as galactic troops there should cost normal maintenance.

Then what happens on a planet should then depend on the galactic states government for and the rebellious planets government form. Is it more of a peaceful independence movement or an outright rebellion that even might lead to a big civil war including multiple colonies and systems defecting to the new faction.

There probably are as many reason to rebellion and civil war as they are rebellion and civil wars...   ;)

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2572 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »

Ok, I'll give you that.

But beside huge tracts of land, what have the Precursors ever done for us?
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2573 on: February 04, 2020, 11:07:19 AM »

Ok, I'll give you that.

What about the jump gates they left behind?

Offline kuhaica

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2574 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg118558#msg118558 date=1580836039
Quote from: Tikigod link=topic=8497. msg118555#msg118555 date=1580830164
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=8497. msg118529#msg118529 date=1580795775
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=8497. msg118527#msg118527 date=1580793051
Quote from: Hazard link=topic=8497. msg118522#msg118522 date=1580778788
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg118496#msg118496 date=1580744100

Ok, I'll give you that.

Xenos? Building things.  Impossible.  It was clearly those missing scientists who built it before continuing their great journey to explore the stars for all of mankind.  Just ignore those wrecks over there. 

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2575 on: February 04, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »

Ok, I'll give you that.

Well that's a given isn't it?

Right, fine.

Though beside the huge tracts of lands and the jump gates they left behind....

What have the Precursors ever done for us?
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2576 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »

And now for something completely different.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2577 on: February 04, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »

Ok, I'll give you that.

Well that's a given isn't it?

Right, fine.

Though beside the huge tracts of lands and the jump gates they left behind....

What have the Precursors ever done for us?

They left those ruins, with all the installations and tech.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2578 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:41 AM »
I personally find that robotic defenders should be slightly more 'proactive', they feel too much like orbital roadblock and that's it. But IMHO obviously.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2579 on: February 05, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »
I always headcanon'd that these robotic defenders are being very conservative because they can't replenish their losses, since I've never seen their forces expand. Makes sense to take a defensive posture. Sometimes its because they are expecting reinforcements from a dead empire, sometimes its because they lost their factories to decay (ruins, anyone), sometimes its just because they're not expected to have been eternal protection, depends on my RP in a game session.