Author Topic: Jump Problem  (Read 1493 times)

Offline AussieGuy (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
Jump Problem
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »
Hey,

I just found this game a few days ago and loving it but I'm having a problem

My Jump Cargo ships dont go into the jump point. It keeps coming up with a transit failed message.

Code: [Select]
Small Fletcher class Freighter    27900 tons     607 Crew     757.6 BP      TCS 558  TH 400  EM 0
716 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-81     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 20     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 311%    IFR: 4.3%    Maintenance Capacity 3339 MSP    Max Repair 56 MSP
Cargo 15000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20    

JC28K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 28000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (10)    Power 40    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 16.1 billion km   (260 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Theres only two ships in the fleet and is 100 tons under the jump drive max weight. What's wrong?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Jump Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
There used to be (not sure it's still there) a check box labelled "Jump Drive" or somesuch. Make sure that this is checked. Otherwise it treats the jump drive as offline.

Also, what is the message saying on the transit failure? That will give you a clue as to what may be wrong.

PS. How is that a military design?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
Quote from: "AussieGuy"
Hey,

I just found this game a few days ago and loving it but I'm having a problem

My Jump Cargo ships dont go into the jump point. It keeps coming up with a transit failed message.

Code: [Select]
Small Fletcher class Freighter    27900 tons     607 Crew     757.6 BP      TCS 558  TH 400  EM 0
716 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-81     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 20     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 311%    IFR: 4.3%    Maintenance Capacity 3339 MSP    Max Repair 56 MSP
Cargo 15000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20    

JC28K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 28000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (10)    Power 40    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 16.1 billion km   (260 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Theres only two ships in the fleet and is 100 tons under the jump drive max weight. What's wrong?

Is the other ship 28000 tons?  If so, that's your problem.  The wormhole size created by a jump drive is the lesser of the jump drive capacity and the jumpship's mass.  So your freighter only makes a wormhole of size 27900, even though the jump drive can handle up to 28000.  That would be my first guess for your problem.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:31:38 AM »
It looks like the freighter has military engines. Commercial jump drives will only work for ships with commercial engines

Steve

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:54:46 AM »
Oh neat, I was correct.

Offline AussieGuy (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
The other ship in the fleet is the same class so It cant be that. What is a commercial engine?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
The other ship in the fleet is the same class so It cant be that. What is a commercial engine?

When you design engines, you can specify that they are either military or civilian.  Civilian drives are larger, and there are other differences.  The main issue is that a ship with any military systems - which are large sensors, weapons, and military drives, require maintenance and can only utilize military jump drives.  Ships with only civilian systems don't require maintenance or overhauls, and can only jump using jump gates or civilian jump drives.  

I don't see any other obvious military systems on your ship, so you must be using military engines.  Design new engines and look at the drop down boxes on the engine design sequence.  I believe the bottom one is the one where you can select military or civilian, or fighter or gunboats drives, if you've researched those.  Select civilian drives, and then create the system.  Do an instant development on the new drive system, and then replace the military drives on your ship with your new civilian drives.  The resulting design should be able to jump, as long as the resulting design is smaller than the installed jump drive capacity.  

Kurt

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"

When you design engines, you can specify that they are either military or civilian.  Civilian drives are larger, and there are other differences.  The main issue is that a ship with any military systems - which are large sensors, weapons, and military drives, require maintenance and can only utilize military jump drives.  Ships with only civilian systems don't require maintenance or overhauls, and can only jump using jump gates or civilian jump drives.  

I don't see any other obvious military systems on your ship, so you must be using military engines.  Design new engines and look at the drop down boxes on the engine design sequence.  I believe the bottom one is the one where you can select military or civilian, or fighter or gunboats drives, if you've researched those.  Select civilian drives, and then create the system.  Do an instant development on the new drive system, and then replace the military drives on your ship with your new civilian drives.  The resulting design should be able to jump, as long as the resulting design is smaller than the installed jump drive capacity.  

Kurt

One warning for you.  Civilian jump drives are 5 times as big as military drives so replacing them one for one will give you a huge ship.  Your new ship is probably going to be somewhat slower, but have far more endurance as civilian drives are also 10 times more fuel efficient.

Brian

Offline AussieGuy (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Thanks. I think I will just build some jump gates ( :