Author Topic: Has any thought been given to a Kickstarter?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline theonlystd (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
Has any thought been given to a Kickstarter?
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
If brought up before sorry for treading old ground. I know Steve is a busy guy and this was never about money but I think he could be pleasantly surprised with the kind of response he'd get with some pretty small additions .

Anyhow was just curious

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Has any thought been given to a Kickstarter?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
If brought up before sorry for treading old ground. I know Steve is a busy guy and this was never about money but I think he could be pleasantly surprised with the kind of response he'd get with some pretty small additions .

Anyhow was just curious

Steve has always resisted being paid for Aurora because then he'd feel obligated to provide more than he does at the moment, like manuals, tech support ;)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:30:33 PM »
I should amend, it might be an idea for Pulsar 4X, but I do think that anything like that should have Steve's approval :)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
On the one hand I can totally see the advantages: Up to date manuals, regular updates, and so on. On the other hand if he was doing this for anyone but himself primarily the game would likely be significantly different, and worse. So it evens out.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
I should amend, it might be an idea for Pulsar 4X, but I do think that anything like that should have Steve's approval :)

I've thought about a tip-buckets or even Kickstarter, but in the end I'm leery of the idea. On one hand the incentive of paying ourselves by the hour to code would cause us to put in at least twice as much work and finish in less than half the time. On the other hand I'm confident that we'll have a playable Alpha by the one-year project anniversary at the latest anyway: so even if we did get Steve's approval for fundraising I'm not sure if trying to agree on who would get paid how much for what with what, if any, new legal responsibilities would be worth the effort.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
I've thought about a tip-buckets or even Kickstarter, but in the end I'm leery of the idea. On one hand the incentive of paying ourselves by the hour to code would cause us to put in at least twice as much work and finish in less than half the time. On the other hand I'm confident that we'll have a playable Alpha by the one-year project anniversary at the latest anyway: so even if we did get Steve's approval for fundraising I'm not sure if trying to agree on who would get paid how much for what with what, if any, new legal responsibilities would be worth the effort.

Personally, I'd use the funds to buy graphics and other assets and have a manual published. Things like that.

Offline theonlystd (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
You guys should update more.

I kind of assumed the project was dead or pretty much on hold.  Didn't realize a alpha was potentially that close. Good to know

Anyhow I understand Steves point. Tho I don't think he'd even have to do all to get people on board.