Author Topic: How to use Fuel Harvesting stations ?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline knightofni81 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • k
How to use Fuel Harvesting stations ?
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
I've created the following Fuel Harvester and tugged it around Saturn.   
Now that it's sitting in Saturn's orbit, I don't know how to bring the produced fuel back on earth.   
I thought that a Tanker would be able to do it (i remember doing so in Aurora VB many years ago.  .  .  .  )
What am I missing here ? Do I need a refuelling system on the station ?

Orbital Fuel Harvester  (tanker box ticked):

Code: [Select]
Dominion - Fuel class Fuel Harvester Base      128,402 tons       510 Crew       1,728.3 BP       TCS 2,568    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 274      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 8    Max Repair 30 MSP
Lay Magician    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Fuel Harvester: 50 modules producing 2,000,000 litres per annum

Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

And my Tanker (tanker box ticked)

Code: [Select]
Precatorius - III class Tanker      4,242 tons       42 Crew       181 BP       TCS 85    TH 63    EM 0
736 km/s      Armour 1-23       Shields 0-0       HTK 49      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 26    Max Repair 20 MSP
Lay Magician    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months   

Sinon-Geta Thrust I Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine  EP62.5 (1)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 10.06%    Signature 62.5    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 842.6 billion km (13250 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 60,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 33 hours

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: How to use Fuel Harvesting stations ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 11:28:29 AM »
You want to add a "refuelling hub" module which may or may not need to be researched. The component not only allows multiple ships to refuel simultaneously but also allows a set of commands unique to refuelling hubs IIRC.

Note that the module in question weighs 100k tons on its own.

Adding a refuelling system would also work but would make it a pain to automate without the refuelling hub.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »
The refueling hub module only allows conditional refueling orders to use this ship.  It's not strictly necessary if all you're trying to do is move fuel from the harvester to a colony.  You can get away with just a refueling system.

Offline knightofni81 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • k
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »
I've added a refuelling system and it solved the problem, thanks for the help !!
I'll try the hub when my economy will be a bit more stable.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:21:29 AM »
As Barkhorn said, the Hub is not necessary for harvesting.

Fuel Harvesting Station only need Sorium Harvesting Modules and Fuel Tanks. They don't even need to tick the tanker check box.

The tanker that collects the fuel needs Fuel Tank and Refueling System, as well as being ticked as a tanker.

You can make a different FHS that also operates as a refueling station, by adding a Refueling Hub into a different class of FHS, checking the tanker box and then putting it into a fleet with the other FHS. This would allow your ships to refuel directly from them as per conditional orders or manually. But this is only convenient if the gas giant you're harvesting happens to be along the direct route from ship construction system to the frontier.

In VB6 I used to have FHS in multiple systems just so ships easily refuel as they move around but with the changes to how refueling works, it's not quite as easy to organize in C# though by no means impossible.