Author Topic: Aurora C# for Linux?  (Read 26717 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Aurora C# for Linux?
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
My personal recommendation that has worked really well for me (very little performance drop compared to WINE) is to set up VMWare player (home license is free) plus a cheapo windows 10 image such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-64-Bit-Full-Version-DVD-Product-Key-System-Builder-/284093119287?hash=item422544fb37

Generally speaking its possible to get one for around 30 bucks and then install it onto the VM which is not too bad.

addendum: I think it should be pointed out WINE really does not seem to work for me, it sortof half limps along but it crashes periodically and is extremely slow (i think mainly its struggling to update the UI elements and its waiting for that to complete prior to moving on to the next frame).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:54:48 PM by QuakeIV »

Offline sisso

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 02:34:47 AM »
The docker virtual env from hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=10320. msg139746#msg139746 is a good alternative.  It is running on mono, not wine.  There are a few issues, like unable to place waypoints.

Generally speaking its possible to get one for around 30 bucks and then install it onto the VM which is not too bad.

Without entering into a license debate, "cheap" windows licenses are OEM, and it has its own set of random rules.  That I almost sure don't include virtual machines.

Anyway, better than 30 is free.  Microsoft has available some pre-build development virtual machines for trial:

https://developer. microsoft. com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

Offline roug

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »
I got Windows 10 pro and Home, so its no problems, donwloading KDE Neon now, so i am going for the VM options, i only need Windows for Aurora4x.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 11:13:38 PM »

The following users thanked this post: sisso

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2020, 12:06:19 AM »
The pre-built virtual machine runs Aurora faster than Mono here. Linux Aurora seems to be dead.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline SpookyZalost

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2022, 11:59:42 PM »
Since there really isn't another topic and in the interest in keeping things in once place, going to post an update.

first, using the instructions on page 2 by Jovus and under mono 6. 12. 0. 182 on Ubuntu 22. 04 the game runs with only a couple issues but nothing preventing it from running.

there are some errors in the terminal stating the following.

Code: [Select]
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB

but I suspect this has more to do with Libpng being more stringent with the RGB profiles and the images just needing to be opened and re-saved, no big.

besides the aforementioned issues locating images which was addressed in the bottom post on page 1 by lupin with issues with file system trees and not locating files.

Besides not being able to select images when designing your race though everything else went smoothly.

The following seemed to work out of the box for the most part for starting the game via terminal, best if loaded from the game's directory.

Quote from: Jovus link=topic=10320. msg122543#msg122543 date=1586880558
Code: [Select]
FONT_NAME="Cantarell" FONT_SIZE=7.5 SCALEHACKX=1.0225 SCALEHACKY=1.01 LC_ALL=C MONO_IOMAP=all mono Aurora.exe

Only real issue I'm running into is game windows and tabs being a bit bigger than the box they're in.

for example on waypoints I'm missing the add waypoint option which I suspect is below the edge of the box in the system menu.

I suspect adjusting the scalehack parameters might fix this and will report back if there's a noticeable difference and if so experiment to see if there's other issues with the waypoints still as others have pointed out.

I know Linux support is experimental at best but that's the state of it right now.   it works, for the most part and I'll tinker with the scaling to see about the waypoints, but for all intents and purposes the game works, under mono, in Linux, no crashing so far either.

The following users thanked this post: Bughunter, sisso

Offline siekster

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2024, 02:46:03 PM »
Arise!!

Played this game many years ago, and got a hankering to play it once again.   However, in the meantime, I've made the change to Linux, and was bummed to read about the mixed results folks have had in getting it to work.

I've had some pretty decent success in getting games to work under proton via Steam.   So on a whim, I installed the game, along with the latest patch, and added it as a non-steam game in Steam.   Switched the compatibility mode to Proton Experimental, and the game fired right up! 

I haven't played it a ton yet, so there may need to be some further tweeking, but everything appears to be functional at this point.   Playing on Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, Bughunter, ISN

Online Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2024, 06:42:12 PM »
Arise!!

Played this game many years ago, and got a hankering to play it once again.   However, in the meantime, I've made the change to Linux, and was bummed to read about the mixed results folks have had in getting it to work.

I've had some pretty decent success in getting games to work under proton via Steam.   So on a whim, I installed the game, along with the latest patch, and added it as a non-steam game in Steam.   Switched the compatibility mode to Proton Experimental, and the game fired right up! 

I haven't played it a ton yet, so there may need to be some further tweeking, but everything appears to be functional at this point.   Playing on Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE.

This is reassuring, haven't had the chance to touch it on my linux machine yet, I'll have to see if aurorapatch mod also works this way.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2024, 07:05:34 PM »
Arise!!

For some reason when I try this all of the buttons are an absolutely unreadable yellow text on white background... but I got it to work with an older version, Proton 7.0-6. The interface doesn't seem to work very well though; things have weird proportions or get cut off and it's pretty slow and unresponsive.

Online Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2024, 07:41:51 PM »
Arise!!

For some reason when I try this all of the buttons are an absolutely unreadable yellow text on white background... but I got it to work with an older version, Proton 7.0-6. The interface doesn't seem to work very well though; things have weird proportions or get cut off and it's pretty slow and unresponsive.

So I've just run the game and played it a bit on Linux Mint Cinnamon.

I play with AuroraPatch wit the Solaris Theme so I added AuroraPatch.exe as a non steam game and forced Proton Experimental. Game worked with no fuss, even tried changing the flag of an alien race without the game crashing like it has for some using other methods.

The font in my case is different but quite readable. The main issues I've encountered are consisted with what siekster has said.

So if you are having problems with unreadable text using a theme mod with AuroraPatch might help.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, sisso

Diti

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2024, 04:45:08 PM »
Quote from: firefly2442 link=topic=10320. msg139746#msg139746 date=1596929164
I posted on Discord (#aurora-linux) about this but I thought it would be good to post here too.    I worked on a Docker version that leverages VNC.    You can play it via your web-browser on Linux, Mac, etc. 

https://github.  com/firefly2442/aurora4x-docker

I tried to leverage all the work that others did around Mono and other fixes. 

Have fun.

I just wanted to add to this that the docker image that firefly2442 has created works really well and fixed both display and window size issues that I was having just running natively with wine or proton.
https://aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=10320. msg139746#msg139746

I am getting a bunch of no image found issues but that might be due to my version or maybe the test civilization.  I can just skip through the errors.

I used podman because it was easier to setup with purely command line.  Docker desktop seemed like overkill.

Thanks firefly2442 for keeping the image up to date as well!

If I may suggest creating a separate version of the container every time there is a save-incompatible update.