Author Topic: BUG? No engines showing up in 4.91  (Read 1697 times)

Offline lordpolish (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
BUG? No engines showing up in 4.91
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:19 AM »
I played through the tutorial this weekend which played fine - no obvious problems.

Then decided to start a new game.  I set my scientists to research a few tech's to get engines (because I couldn't see any listed when I went to build a survey cruiser) and figured I had to research them. I remember picking Nuclear engines something and then going off to do other things. While some time passed, the scientist who was researching died and when I went to the screen and selected his project it gave me some Null Object error or something like that (sorry, next time I'll document it). I was able to cancel the project and when I did I noticed some weird research projects showed up for engines with only 1 RP to research it. I figured this must be part of the game having to research this to get engines showing up in the design screen so I researched one of them but no engines showed up and the other 2 RP research project mysteriously vanished along with all engine tech's.

At this point I decided to start a new game thinking I screwed something up but in the new game I still have no engines I can mount on my ships and now I'm missing the nuclear engine tech's and Ion engine tech's so I don't even know what to research to get them.

Now I'm thinking my game is bugged and I need to reinstall but it's also very possible I just don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: BUG? No engines showing up in 4.91
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
It appears that you've researched the base tech but have not designed any engines.  There is a button on the F2 screen labeled design.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline lordpolish (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
You're exactly right - after I opened up the button I said "Oh I remember that!".

Such a complicated game but I really enjoy the depth.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
The other thing I suspect you've done is to hit the "completed" radio button at the bottom - these are technologies (including starter technologies like the ones you saw for 1 or 2 RP) that have already been researched.  You should generally have the radio button set to "available".

John

PS - Please read the "where to post" FAQ and post new user questions in The Academy.