Author Topic: AuroraMod 1.9.x - Custom colors, fonts, scale, window resizing, auto-save, etc  (Read 14820 times)

Offline twice2double (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
NOTE: This version of AuroraMod is now deprecated - http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11546

Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora4x_mods/comments/g9zhta/mod_auroramod_19x_custom_colors_fonts_window/
MediaFire Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4o1ejlyu0bqpuvm/AuroraMod-1.9.5-7.zip/file

Update 1.9.5-7: Added configuration option to change mineral display names
Update 1.9.5-6: Fixed bug with save button turning red too quickly
Update 1.9.5-5: Notification/Auto-Update feature improvements
Update 1.9.5-4: Added font style option and a few theme tweaks
Update 1.9.5-3: Fixed save bug that prevented saving in certain circumstances
Update 1.9.5-2: Fixed culture setting bug, added button to reset font setting
Update 1.9.5-1: Config GUI now detached from Tactical Map
Update 1.9.5-0: Now based on Aurora 1.9.5, bug fixes, UI tweaks, configuration GUI
Update 1.9.4-3: More UI fixes, more UI color settings, comma decimal setting
Update 1.9.4-2: Lots of UI fixes, more shortcut keys
Update 1.9.4-1: Added experimental "fix-table-columns" config option
Update 1.9.4-0: Now based on Aurora 1.9.4
Update 1.9.3-3: Fixed ship name list being truncated in fleet window
Update 1.9.3-2: Some window sizing and font fixes
Update 1.9.3-1: Much better handling of scaling and larger fonts
Update 1.9.3-0: Now based on Aurora 1.9.3 and various UI scaling issues fixed
Update 1.9.2-0: Now based on Aurora 1.9.2

Current Features:
    - Customizable theme (icons, background colors, text colors, UI scale, font, and font size)
    - Window resizing
    - Save notification and auto-save
    - Shortcut keys (Economics and Fleet windows)
    - Customizable date formats and culture settings (comma vs period)
    - Game generation seed
    - Custom mineral display names
    - Configuration GUI

Upcoming Features:
    - More color config options
    - Wiki integration
    - More keyboard shortcuts (Tactical map, Galatic Map, Class Design, etc)
    - Theme improvements (pulled from external source,  Adrinus' icon set)

Installation:
    1) Extract in your Aurora 1.9.x folder
    2) Fire up AuroraMod.exe
    OR just use AuroraLoader

FAQ:
    Q: Do I have to start a new campaign to use this mod?
    A: No, you can freely switch back and forth between the mod and vanilla Aurora provided they have matching version numbers (ie: Aurora 1.9.x is compatible with AuroraMod 1.9.x-x).     
    Q: This mod doesn't even do anything! Lame.     
    A: Ensure you're starting Aurora with the provided exe (AuroraMod.exe) and you have enabled one or more features in the configuration window.     

Disclaimer:
By using this mod, you forfeit the option of submitting bugs on the forum. If you encounter a bug, please attempt to reproduce on vanilla Aurora (you can use the same DB), then report your findings here. We can discuss further actions from there.     
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:05:16 PM by twice2double »

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Is there any downsides to using this? Has anyone experienced any crashes or anything or is this as stable as the regular game?

• t
Obviously I'm biased, but I'll give my take on it.     

It's unrealistic for me to claim there will never be bugs or crashes with AuroraMod.     

That being said, here is what I'm doing to reduce that likelihood:

1) No game logic or game mechanic changes
    All changes are carefully thought out (and agreed upon by Steve) in order to minimize bugs/crashes.     
    The changes are by-and-large related to the windows/forms code.  This means it's very unlikely to corrupt your game state or modify the DB in a weird way.     
2) No DB changes
    Not touching any SQL or DB-related code.  DB compatibility is the same.
    You should be able to switch back-and-forth between Aurora and AuroraMod on the same DB without issues (provided you're abiding by the DB version compatibility Steve lays out for Aurora - versioning is the same with AuroraMod)
3) All features are off by default
    Designed so that running AuroraMod gives you vanilla Aurora.  You enable only the features you want via the configuration window.     
    If you don't trust a feature, don't use it.     

Since 1. 8 the mod has seemed quite stable to me and I've been using it for my own campaigns.  I've seen people use it for 200+ year campaigns so far.   
I added the configuration GUI in 1. 9 and that new feature introduced a few bugs, but only around the AuroraMod features themselves.  Those have been addressed.     

So far I've received 3 messages of people running into strange behavior.  Two of them were confirmed by the user to be on them (SM-mode changes that resulted in strange DB state), and one resulted in a user seeing blank names for the population list in the Economics window - which they fixed by tinkering with the CMC checkbox option.  For that last one it's unlikely that AuroraMod was at fault because the issue persisted with vanilla Aurora.

Finally, I recommend you use one or more of the save notification features as a reminder to save the game often (or use the auto-save to force saving the game periodically)

EDIT:
With regards to downsides, other than what I mentioned above, I can't think of anything.     
There is one small annoyance that people may run into though - If you start tinkering around with font sizes, you quickly realize that things start running off text areas.  This can be addressed by upping the UI scale and/or enabling the "Fix Column Headers" option.  This option will re-format tables/lists so that the columns are wide enough to show all text data.
The problem with that feature is that it slows down the rendering of large tables.  It can get annoying when you open up a large system view or select a fleet with hundreds of ships in the Fleet window to have to wait 5-10s for the table to render properly.  Personally it hasn't bothered me enough to disable it in my games yet.   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:28:50 AM by twice2double »

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
I thought all talk of modding and mods was against the rules now?

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
Might want to look at the forum you're in. . .
Code: [Select]
Aurora 4x » C# Aurora » C# Approved Mods
;D

Offline Cinnius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Is there any downsides to using this? Has anyone experienced any crashes or anything or is this as stable as the regular game?

onestly i use this mod for the past two weeks (maybe three) and i don't find any crash or weird situation caused from the mod ^^

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Yes... I had to submit to trying this out as well and it felt as I was cheating on Steve for it... but the default colour scheme was so troublesome for my eyes that I could not sit in front of the game for more than about an hour at a time tops... if even that.   :(

I created this colour scheme instead that is way more pleasant on on my eyes at least... I have no trouble sitting down several hours now... :)

I have had no issues with the game what so ever so far in the last week.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:13:09 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: bro918, TMaekler

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
There really isn't but I do have a list of gotchas and things that can happen.  First thing though, you can alternate between the mod and not, the regular aurora.exe will still work fine with the game.  This is useful if you just want to use the seed value when generating new games if you want to be able to share it with others or play the same one again.

Here is a list of things I've found that you might have issues with.  None of them really impact the game itself though, just the mod.

• Open Tactical Map.  Sometimes when saving colors, especially the alt text color, the auroramod.exe will not function correctly with Open Tactical Map.  It still shows the old color.  What I have taken to doing is save config, close auroramod.exe, open it again, then Open Tactical Map.  That seems to work.
  • Fix Table Columns.  This can really do a number on the game if you don't understand what is happening.  Opening System Generation screen, for example, can cause a really slow repaint as it calculates through the columns.  You really only need that if you use much larger font combos and UI screen resolutions.  So don't use it unless you absolutely have to.
  • For best results, try to stick with the default fonts and leave UI screen rez alone.  Just play with the colors.  If that doesn't work, then just gradually up things.
  • On an earlier version than the current (prior to 1.9.5 sorry can't remember which one), I did encounter some kind of memory problem when I was playing with my own color scheme.  I left the auroramod.exe rnning and just get changing colors and saving configs and re-running Open Tactical Map, closing it, opening it, etc.   Eventually it stopped working.  That is why I just open and close Auroramod.exe each time now.  I should not if you are just firing it up to change color schemes and play, I've NEVER encountered an issue other than the Fix Table Columns noted above.

BTW, I have contributed somewhat to this mod, here is my Boomer Light theme based on Solarized Light.  It will be in the next release.  I'd post an image in here, but not quite sure how.  This is a screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12M6TmOmKI4ROtvdHA3NQfFDsCf5lBOIM
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:20:11 AM by Graymane »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
There really isn't but I do have a list of gotchas and things that can happen.  First thing though, you can alternate between the mod and not, the regular aurora.exe will still work fine with the game.  This is useful if you just want to use the seed value when generating new games if you want to be able to share it with others or play the same one again.

Here is a list of things I've found that you might have issues with.  None of them really impact the game itself though, just the mod.

• Open Tactical Map.  Sometimes when saving colors, especially the alt text color, the auroramod.exe will not function correctly with Open Tactical Map.  It still shows the old color.  What I have taken to doing is save config, close auroramod.exe, open it again, then Open Tactical Map.  That seems to work.
  • Fix Table Columns.  This can really do a number on the game if you don't understand what is happening.  Opening System Generation screen, for example, can cause a really slow repaint as it calculates through the columns.  You really only need that if you use much larger font combos and UI screen resolutions.  So don't use it unless you absolutely have to.
  • For best results, try to stick with the default fonts and leave UI screen rez alone.  Just play with the colors.  If that doesn't work, then just gradually up things.
  • On an earlier version than the current (prior to 1.9.5 sorry can't remember which one), I did encounter some kind of memory problem when I was playing with my own color scheme.  I left the auroramod.exe rnning and just get changing colors and saving configs and re-running Open Tactical Map, closing it, opening it, etc.   Eventually it stopped working.  That is why I just open and close Auroramod.exe each time now.  I should not if you are just firing it up to change color schemes and play, I've NEVER encountered an issue other than the Fix Table Columns noted above.

Yes.. just leave the default font and text size as is if you don't want some minor quirks with the windows... but other than that no impact on the game what so ever.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
Yes... I had to submit to trying this out as well and it felt as I was cheating on Steve for it... but the default colour scheme was so troublesome for my eyes that I could not sit in front of the game for more than about an hour at a time tops... if even that.   :(

I created this colour scheme instead that is way more pleasant on on my eyes at least... I have no trouble sitting down several hours now... :)

SNIP

I have had no issues with the game what so ever so far in the last week.

Jorgen, I really like your color scheme. Is it one of the presets? If not, what colors are you using? I'd like to try the same set-up.

Thanks.

• t
That looks like a modified (tweaked for newer version options) of MrCABman's theme.  This is indeed a preset.

@Jorgen_CAB I'm assuming MrCABman is you :)
I can update the theme preset if you send me the changes you've made.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
That looks like a modified (tweaked for newer version options) of MrCABman's theme.  This is indeed a preset.

@Jorgen_CAB I'm assuming MrCABman is you :)
I can update the theme preset if you send me the changes you've made.

Yes... my username as well...

Here is my config file...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqe5x16cibxs34w/Aurora.mod.config?dl=0

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
Just wanted to chime in and say that I've never noticed any downsides or issues with this mod, and I've been playing all of my personal games using it for the past month or so via AuroraLoader.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Just wanted to chime in and say that I've never noticed any downsides or issues with this mod, and I've been playing all of my personal games using it for the past month or so via AuroraLoader.

What is AuroraLoader? Is it required for this?

I think I will try out the mod soon cause the blue is rough on my eyes when I turn on night mode on my computer and has been a concern of mine for a while. This has given me reason to pick up 1.9.5 again instead of just waiting for 1.1x to play my first serious campaign. Testing gets boring after a while. Might do a story for it or something.

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I

What is AuroraLoader? Is it required for this?

I think I will try out the mod soon cause the blue is rough on my eyes when I turn on night mode on my computer and has been a concern of mine for a while. This has given me reason to pick up 1.9.5 again instead of just waiting for 1.1x to play my first serious campaign. Testing gets boring after a while. Might do a story for it or something.

A mod manager that automatically load/update mods