Author Topic: Interesting AuroraMod Seeds  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Graymane (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
Interesting AuroraMod Seeds
« on: June 03, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »
I thought I would start a thread on interesting game seeds people have found using the option in AuroraMod.

Offline twice2double

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
Re: Interesting AuroraMod Seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
I haven't been using the option all that much, but when I was testing it in the early 1.9.x days I remember trying '88888888' and regretting it immediately when I saw the mineral roll on Earth. From what I recall, poor Duranium in particular. I played it out to 150 years but I recall it being a grind (lack of Corundium in Sol didn't help).

I played 1.10 briefly with my birthday as the seed - nothing stood out on that one though :)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:05:23 AM »
I like when you start on a poor mineral sol system, the game becames challenging, it pushs you to explore and find new alternatives on other worlds asap.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 06:20:36 AM »
I like when you start on a poor mineral sol system, the game becames challenging, it pushs you to explore and find new alternatives on other worlds asap.

Try not starting in Sol. With a random race. You really have to learn to adapt your playstyle.

Offline Graymane (OP)

• G
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
I've tried 11, 7 and 666 in my current game.  666 has nice deposits on Venus, Luna, and Mars.

Offline twice2double

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
That game seed feature sets the pseudorandom number generator to a specific starting state (the seed you provide). The RNG will be deterministic, but not the player actions. This means that you can start two separate games with the same seed, but they will eventually diverge (unless you perform every action that invokes RNG in the same exact order in both games). For examples, changing system names, creating ships, customizing your galaxy map - those don't invoke RNG so they won't diverge the games. However, ticking time invokes the RNG, and I believe geo surveys invoke the RNG when the action is completed to determine deposit amounts. It's unlikely you'll get the same deposits unless the RNG state was the same in both games when you started surveying, and you surveyed the planets in the same order, and ticked time exactly the same way :o

Ultimately, anything that gets generated at game start is really the only thing we can count on being the same with a seed. I may be wrong about geo surveys though - I haven't confirmed that yet.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Graymane (OP)

• G
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:01:30 AM »
I used 666, 333, 12345, 67890, and 13579 last night and started each game with surveyed systems multiple times.  I wasn't trying to test your theory, but the starting system was the same every time.  You are probably correct however in how the RNG is used when survey happens.  In my case, I was using a setting to drive resulting in the same values.  I suppose normal exploration could result in different values.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:04:49 AM by Graymane »

Offline dag0net

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
Idk anything about the mod, but mineral values are determined on system generation, as with NPR's etc, if you wanted to reproduce a game environment you'd prolly need to sm grav/explore at game start.

Poor memory, but if you did this with a 2nd sm race and then deleted the empire might be the cleanest way to do a shareable/reuseable start, tho i have a suspicion that sm geo survey's might break some things in c#.
People blame god for making life worth living, in the same vein. . . "Work harder Steve!"