Fiction > Starfire

Theban Empire

(1/46) > >>

Starslayer_D:
Time has rolled along, and Paul McNeely and I decided to give a low economy approach a spin.  And we're curious how this will develop.  (given that the last campaign with6 player empires, and several strong NPR's went into a pile of money death situation with battles approaching late ISW4 piles of counters. . . . ).

Premises:
- Build rates are halved
- Changes for more that 4 warpoints have been reduced significantly (makes those 12+ WP hubs somewhat rarer, but not impossible. )
- NPR chances have been lowered.  95+ for a high tech NPR, the others have 1% chance each.  (allthough we might agree to remove the low tech guys totally.  )
- Most significantly, we took the per turn growth rates and use them as the 10 turn growth rate, slowing down natural population growth.  doesn't prevent one from shipping out from the homeworld, but the colonies will take  alot longer to reach very large size.  Should also make population preservation a much higher goal. .   with a reduced economy.
- last, to prevent the DB from xploding. . .  no asteroid population emplacement.  (also, a system with multiple belts can get a very. .  huge income from the belt population alone ina standard game.  Belts still boost the economy, but you don't have to fiddle with 400+ populations ina  good system anymore. )

Any thoughts on this approach? I am certain planning on playing this out, and hopefully the gmae will get over 100 turns.  I exspect turns to be faster than a normal game, too.  And have more Stars at War sized fleets and empires. .  (vast, sprawling, sparsely inhabited expanses)

Alex

procyon:
Yaayyyy !!!! :D

Ooops, beg pardon, just got a little excited to here another SF player out there.

Like the premise.  Build rates going down will make battles more telling.  You don't tend to risk what you can't replace (at least for my group).

Decreased NPR's wouldn't work for us, but if your players will fight each other, it would be fine.  As our group is just our family, they are notorious for double dealing, commerce raiding, etc, but out right warfare usually is short and limited between the players. :-\

Plan for a loooong game if you cut the growth rate by 10.  What shuts us down isn't the economics with our games at 1/10 growth rate.  It kids moving away or deciding to change rule editions.

My only question, which edition is it based on?

But overall, I like it.  Very much the style we use and it works well for us.

Starslayer_D:
We've progressed to turn 12 by now.  Growth is slow, but economies still roll up due to EL research and IU investments, and shipping out colonists.  Just the colonies will not grow as much.

What became really noticeable is the significance of the slower build rate.  One defenitely has to think ahead in terms of what one deploys where.

While ym race surged ahead explorationwise by creating 7 HS ex, Paul's race sure has a bigger reserve of trained ships due to his use of survey destroyers.  That may come back to haunt me. . . .

I took a look at teh old game.

It basically became unplayable due to the high number of NPR's discovered each turn by now.  even a 2% chance, multiplied by the number of races exploring (50+ of the 85 active ones, some doing multple probes each round), created a pile of work by turn 79, when I called a halt.

Paul M:
The Shanirian Confederation

The Shanir are a race of genetically modified humans.  They were removed from earth during the 1960's by the 'orlons who were conducting investigations into the Younger Races.  Likely at some point in time the 'orlons will pop back in to see how their experiment is going.  Possibly in a few hundred thousand years given their usual version of "quick."  The Shanir are empathic and within their species touch telepaths.

This means they don't function well in isolation, as they have never experienced such a state under normal conditions.  They also use a drive system that is somewhat different than normal SF drives (functionally identical for game purposes) meaning that the force beam tech tree is not available to them to be developed (F, and P).  They are also incapable of using strike fighters.  Iext EL increase (HT3) they will develop the particle projector as the start on the path to the E beam.

As soon as I can figure out how to do it I'll put up a ship class listing.  Just ran into a second NPR...my NPR survey luck is very high it seems.

Civillian/Logistic Support Vessels

CFN FT TYPE 1 class FT4           30 Hull    TL 1
[3] Hx4(Ic)Hx4(Ic)HQHQHQHQHLhQ(Ic)H(BbS)Qs(Ic) [4]
30 RCP  795 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  190/ 14.3
HTK 26   

Standard Freighter in the Shanirian merchant marine.

MESSENGER class EX     (AC)        6 Hull    TL 1
[2] SAHs(BbT)(I)Qs(I) [8]
6 RCP  19 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  56.6/ 8.5
HTK 7   Sx1  Ax1

A sparcely furnished and cramped ship intended only for the high speed delievery of messages between worlds.

PACKMULE class FT4           30 Hull    TL 1
[3] SAHBHQ(BbL)HHQ(BbL)HH(BbL)(Ic)(Ic)(Ic)LhQ(Ic) [4]
30 RCP  420 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  215/ 16.1
HTK 20   Sx1  Ax1

Design is used by survey command as a supply ship with each survey fleet but is intended to also function as a military troop transport when required.  It's large complement of shuttles can be used either to speed up planetary surveys or else to land its full complement of PCF's in a short time.  In survey service the extensive lifesupport space is used for R&R facilities and actual garden domes to give the crews of the Survey forces some time away from their ships and to thus extend mission lenght.

PIONEER class FT4            30 Hull    TL 1
[3] S(SYM)HQs(Ic) [1]
30 RCP  70 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  264/ 8.6
HTK 7   Sx1  

A mobile shipyard, the design is not liked but was forced on the navy by necessity.

Naval Vessels

DRUSUS class CT     (AC)        16 Hull    TL 1
[2] SSSAAAH(I)(I)(I)QsL(I) [8]
16 RCP  9 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  148/ 22.2
HTK 13   Sx3  Ax3  Lx1  

Armed scout courier class of the Shanirian Navy.

VELITE class FG     (AC)        22 Hull    TL 1
[2] Sx4Ax4H(I)(I)(I)GbGbMgQs(I)(I) [7]
22 RCP  3 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  182.6/ 27.4
HTK 18   Sx4  Ax4  Gbx2  Mgx1  
50x GMb

Assault ship of the Shanirian Navy.  Intended for attacks through contested WPs and as close in WP defenders.

LANCEA class DD     (AC)        30 Hull    TL 1
[3] Sx4Ax4H(BbS)(I)Qs(I)(I)(I)RRMg(I)(I)QsL(I) [7]
30 RCP  20 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  327/ 49.1
HTK 23   Sx4  Ax4  Lx1  Rx2  Mgx1  
60x BM

Primary general purpose combatent of the Navy.

CL (PROTO) class CL            45 Hull    TL 1
[3] Sx5Ax9H(BbS)(II)(I)L(II)R(I)RRMg(II)LLhQ(I) [6]
45 RCP  5 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  466.5/ 70
HTK 33   Sx5  Ax9  Lx2  Rx3  Mgx1  

Prototype Light Cruiser hull, internal arrangement expected to change before properly deployed.

Survey Command Vessels

SEEKER class CT     (AC)        16 Hull    TL 1
[2] SSAAX(BbS)H(Ic)(Ic)QsL [4]
16 RCP  9 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  170/ 25.5
HTK 11   Sx2  Ax2  Lx1

The Seeker is a Drusus Corvette modified for survey work.  A pair of these ships are assigned to each survey fleet for probes and first contact work.

PATHFINDER class DD     (AC)        30 Hull    TL 1
[3] SSAAXQ(BbM)H(Ic)H(Ic)(BbM)(Ic)LLhQL(Ic) [4]
30 RCP  70 MCP       Trg:1        Cost =  332/ 49.8
HTK 18   Sx2  Ax2  Lx2  

Standard Survey vessel of Survey command.  It is optimized for WP defence when not used in the survey role.

Fortress Command

SLING class BS1           25 Hull    TL 1
[1] Sx5Ax5HGbx3QsGbMg [0]
25 RCP       Trg:1        Cost =  151/ 7.6
HTK 17   Sx5  Ax5  Gbx4  Mgx1  
90x GMb

The Sling is a close in WP defence base.

PILUM class BS2           50 Hull    TL 1
[1] Sx6Ax6H(BbS)RRLMgRR(BbS)LRRMgLLhQ(BbS) [0]
50 RCP       Trg:1        Cost =  437/ 21.9
HTK 29   Sx6  Ax6  Lx3  Rx6  Mgx2  
120x BM

The Pilum is the command base of a WP defence array and is intended to use its missiles in a stand off mode to defend the WP while its lasers are reserved for close defence of the base itself.

Starslayer_D:
Under ship classes, print report, answer you want to view it first.  Then there is a small suitcase symbol at the bottom offering your choice of file type for saving it.

And yes, I should geta round to writing up the first 20 turns.

It seems that the numbers we used were a bit too low for growth.  With the t20 growth, we changed them to 5% for high, and 2. 5% for low growth. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version