Author Topic: Tech, Stealth Bombardment, and Bugs  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Toloran (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Tech, Stealth Bombardment, and Bugs
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
Three questions from a newbie Aurora player:

(Note: Bugs as in insects, not program glitches =p)

- I've started a game with everything researched from the get go (mostly to experiment with ship designs and such). Does the technology level of NPRs and precursors scale with your own or does it just do it's own thing? I mostly ask this because I sometimes start games with a couple levels of "Expand Economy 20%" for free to lower the difficulty level a bit and I don't want that making hostiles a lot stronger then they should be.

- Earth recently got bombarded by an enemy attack. However there were no enemy fleets in the system or in any of the nearby systems. I have a level 5 Deep-Space Scanner on earth and a high sensor tech. Additionally, I had my fleet on earth turn on it's active sensors 5 seconds after the bombardment and they didn't pick anything up either. Anyone have any idea what happened?

- I tried salvaging a (what I think is) Star Swarm ship. All I found is larvae. Huh? Why do I have the feeling that I'm going to get a infestation on my ships?

Thanks for any answers anyone might give.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Tech, Stealth Bombardment, and Bugs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
Quote from: "Toloran"
- Earth recently got bombarded by an enemy attack. However there were no enemy fleets in the system or in any of the nearby systems. I have a level 5 Deep-Space Scanner on earth and a high sensor tech. Additionally, I had my fleet on earth turn on it's active sensors 5 seconds after the bombardment and they didn't pick anything up either. Anyone have any idea what happened?
Did you, by any chance, have mass drivers sending minerals to Earth and no mass driver on Earth to catch them?

Steve

Offline Toloran (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Did you, by any chance, have mass drivers sending minerals to Earth and no mass driver on Earth to catch them?

Steve

Hmm... That is probably what happened although I thought my Mass Driver was put back before that happened (I accidentally off-loaded it but had it returned).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
- I've started a game with everything researched from the get go (mostly to experiment with ship designs and such). Does the technology level of NPRs and precursors scale with your own or does it just do it's own thing? I mostly ask this because I sometimes start games with a couple levels of "Expand Economy 20%" for free to lower the difficulty level a bit and I don't want that making hostiles a lot stronger then they should be.
NPRs scale to average player race size and how long the game has been going. They don't scale to the tech level of the player race.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »
NPRs scale to average player race size and how long the game has been going. They don't scale to the tech level of the player race.

Steve

So it sounds like my trick of setting up with a lower population then bumping it up in SM mode only works for any NPR that are generated at startup - correct?  Any NPR that are generated through discovery will use my current size?

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
So it sounds like my trick of setting up with a lower population then bumping it up in SM mode only works for any NPR that are generated at startup - correct?  Any NPR that are generated through discovery will use my current size?
Correct. However, if you want generally lower NPR populations then you can use the Difficulty Modifier on the New Game window

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:51:09 AM »
Correct. However, if you want generally lower NPR populations then you can use the Difficulty Modifier on the New Game window

Aaaaaah - so that's what that modifier does :-)

John

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Aaaaaah - so that's what that modifier does :-)

John

We keep learning new things reading the newbee section....