Author Topic: Jump drives on large carriers  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Silvarelion (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Jump drives on large carriers
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
Hey guys

Just wondering what everyone does to move their capital and super capital ships outside the JG network. I'm looking at building my first large carrier, and trying to figure out how to use them offensively. Thanks!
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Iranon

Re: Jump drives on large carriers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
My Jump Ships tend to consist mostly of commercial engines (75% is very possible - means it'll be able to do 1.5 "standard" speed on 0.5 power engines despite being commercial) and will carry some spare fuel.

If my only capital ships are carriers, I may not bother though... use smaller stuff outside the network, invest more into construction ships.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
Since carriers can afford to be really slow (thanks to the amazing range of their strike groups), its ok to just give them commercial engines.  Carriers should mostly fight from the jump point.

Jump in, launch your fighters, jump back out at the first sign of trouble.  Your speed will never be tactically relevant.

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
I would just put both biggest used commercial and biggest used military jump engines on a jump tender and have a half a dozen of them on important JPs outside my JG net. Currently this means they have 15k military JE, 45 commercial JE and 9 strong commercial engines so that they are still commercial designs from maintenance point. They have bit of armor, multiple CIWSs, basic passive radar suite, some fuel storage capacity  and 100+ months of deployment. For faster changes of tended JP they later get help from tugs.

So far I haven't manage to get so far in game to build anything that my Gatekeepers can't jump-tend.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »
Since carriers can afford to be really slow (thanks to the amazing range of their strike groups), its ok to just give them commercial engines.  Carriers should mostly fight from the jump point.

Jump in, launch your fighters, jump back out at the first sign of trouble.  Your speed will never be tactically relevant.

There is even simplier and much more affordable way:

Carriers do not jump, they carry 1 or 2 fighter-grade tenders, and their wings use those fighter-grade tenders to jump in and jump out.
There is no need to cram huge jump engines to your carriers with this tactics.