Author Topic: Simulations  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Simulations
« on: November 09, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Does anyone know of a simulation for a middle-ages country?

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
Re: Simulations
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
Other than the one I'm working on, no. Depending on the granularity you're looking for in "simulation", there are certainly plenty of medieval-era strategy games... Crusader Kings focus on the county-level and up. I can't think of one offhand that really focuses on a baronial or lower level.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
What I'm looking for is something I can specify initial parameters; land size, terrain types, resources, population, etc. Then I can advance time for 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years, etc. and get a final result. It should also track major families.

I considered Dwarf Fortress, but I never saw anyplace to specify initial parameters, nor pull final stats.

I also considered Birthright from TSR/WotC, but that has too much bias to the setting. Setting agnostic is best. And the time frame is too small on it.

It also does not necessarily need to be computer based. I can sit down with some dice for a few hours and generate the numbers if needed. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:21:38 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »
What I'm looking for is something I can specify initial parameters; land size, terrain types, resources, population, etc. Then I can advance time for 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years, etc. and get a final result. It should also track major families.

I considered Dwarf Fortress, but I never saw anyplace to specify initial parameters, nor pull final stats.

I also considered Birthright from TSR/WotC, but that has too much bias to the setting. Setting agnostic is best. And the time frame is too small on it.

It also does not necessarily need to be computer based. I can sit down with some dice for a few hours and generate the numbers if needed. :)

You can set world gen parameters with DF... world size, elevation parameters, I'm sure a number of other things. However, it doesn't really yet generate what I'd consider a reasonable world; Tarn just recently added farms in, and there's much discussion over the resulting sprawl.

HarnManor was a wonderful resource for building reasonable-looking manors with tenant farmers, a knight household running it, and so forth, and you can probably find pdf copies online. My current simulation work uses it as the basis. My next step is to integrate the famous "Medieval Demographics made easy" Work for towns, then try to come up with a reasonable life + death cycle so that I can handle time increments properly.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »
You can set world gen parameters with DF... world size, elevation parameters, I'm sure a number of other things. However, it doesn't really yet generate what I'd consider a reasonable world; Tarn just recently added farms in, and there's much discussion over the resulting sprawl.

HarnManor was a wonderful resource for building reasonable-looking manors with tenant farmers, a knight household running it, and so forth, and you can probably find pdf copies online. My current simulation work uses it as the basis. My next step is to integrate the famous "Medieval Demographics made easy" Work for towns, then try to come up with a reasonable life + death cycle so that I can handle time increments properly.
I've been working on adapting parts of Birthright, along with other resources to come up with something. Magic tends to throw a wrench into the works.

As for time rate, I've been debating yearly "turns" or seasonal (as Birthright does it). Lifespans would also be affected by magic and the like. I'm thinking one of the hardest parts will be to come up with some sort of event table, along with diplomatic issues.