Author Topic: Multiple NPRs generated in one system?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Revenant342 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
Multiple NPRs generated in one system?
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
I think I've found something odd.   I was exploring a new system and got a "new aliens encountered" message.   When I looked closer, though, I noticed that I had *two* new contacts in my diplomacy tab.   Both were "Sirius aliens," had the same race portrait, but different flags and a sequential race ID(#138 and #139).   Looking at the system, I have two separate (huge) EM contacts coming from the same habitable planet in the system.   One's 180k and the other's 280k, 280k also has an associated 50k thermal contact.   180k one may be too far for my surveyor to spot on passive.   

I've got active sensors showing on four ships near the planet, which is odd because they're nowhere near me and the last NPR I encountered only went active when they detected me.   Are they pinging each other?  My survey ship's very far off, passive-only and has a very small thermal signature, so I don't think they've spotted me, and both have "unknown" relations with me.   

Even odder, all the contacts belong to the #138 aliens.   The #139s don't even have a system entry in the strategic Intel tab.   Also, the planetary contacts and three of the ships are neutral grey, but the fourth ship is hostile red despite belonging to the same faction.

Is it possible that two NPR factions spawned on the same planet?  I haven't heard of this happening before.   If so, assuming they didn't start allied, do you think the "ships in owned space" and "shared colony" relations maluses will cause them to go to war with each other relatively quickly?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:54:52 PM by Revenant342 »

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Multiple NPRs generated in one system?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:54:59 PM »
Steve added in a small possibility for multiple NPR's of the same race to spawn on a single planet a couple versions back. It should be possible, in theory, to get 3-4 NPR's in one system, if there are multiple habitable planets and one or both get multiple NPR's. In terms of relations, I think that there is a timer during which they will not suffer maluses, though I'm not sure if this is global (from the start of the game) or local (from when they were created).

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »
Yes, what JacenHan said.  Multiple factions of the same 'race'.

Use of genetic modification to alter a race's base temp and/or grav tolerances will also cause the same effect, but as far as I know, VB6 Aurora NPRs weren't programmed to do that.

Offline Revenant342 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
Steve added in a small possibility for multiple NPR's of the same race to spawn on a single planet a couple versions back. It should be possible, in theory, to get 3-4 NPR's in one system, if there are multiple habitable planets and one or both get multiple NPR's. In terms of relations, I think that there is a timer during which they will not suffer maluses, though I'm not sure if this is global (from the start of the game) or local (from when they were created).

Is that affected by the truce timer setting at the game start?  I started without any pre-made NPRs, so I had it set to 0, figuring it wouldn't play any role.  Maybe I'll have me a little shooting war!  I wonder if the AI knows not to glass an enemy homeworld that's also their homeworld, haha!

Question:.The pop and industry an NPR generated with is based.off of what you have when you meet them, right?  I'm curious because I just conquered the first NPR I met and he had a bit more industry and pop on his homeworld than I had in my entire empire.  Going strictly by the signatures, the smaller one's about the size of my original empire plus the NPR I just ate before meeting these guys, and the bigger one's about 50% larger.  So, if I get into a war with these guys both at the same time, I'm looking at fighting about 2.5x my population and industrial capacity... Or effectively 5x because half my pop and IC is still subjugated  :o.  Think my best bet is to hope they whittle themselves down?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
Yes, NPR size depends on the difficulty setting and your industrial strength. If you set difficulty at 200% then every created NPR will be twice as "industrious" as you are at the moment of creation. Unfortunately this does not reflect their mining capability and a 200% difficulty NPR will fairly quickly crash its economy due to lack of minerals, unless it gets real lucky.