Author Topic: STO  (Read 3472 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
STO
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:38:32 AM »
Having problems with my STO, first one was a bit self explaining when I found out that I forgot to include my lasercannon ::)

Is LG units necessary on an asteroid? I presume LG is for fighting not using heavy cannons to hit ships coming to close.

This is my Laser Cannon:

Super Heavy Laser Cannon Static
Transport Size (tons) 857     Cost 1 195.92     Armour 36     Hit Points 36
Annual Maintenance Cost 149     Resupply Cost 0

Kratos Defense & Security  Heavy Spinal Laser
Range 480 000 km      Tracking 8 000 km/s      Damage 53 / 5     Shots 1     Rate of Fire 35
Maximum Fire Control Range 480 000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 0%
Maximum Sensor Range 3 532 381km      Max Range vs Missile 317 914 km
Non-Combat Class

It and its mates are placed in a battery of 5 cannons, 5 Logistics Soldier (Not needed but included :) ) and 2 Staff officers with HQ 5K, Total size is: 4385

A planetary Battalion is 1 laser battery, 1 Railgun battery and 1 PD Gaus turret, total size is: 11200/40k. So in the it will support in total 3 groups of each unit.

The BIG problem is they don't fire a shot.... Faulty construction or a bug?
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: STO
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
Did you actually turn them on? There's a whole control panel for STO units you need to use.

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »
Yes, I think so, they will auto fite I presume, as soon as a hostile ship is in range, tried to change their target, how many that fires at the same target and so on...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Online Bluebreaker

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
Their target needs to be painted by any active sensor. If there is none you need too activate the STO one.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »
Which one of these guns are in range? You got multiple bodies showing up here

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
I don't think adding low gravity to your STO units helps them with STO combat. If they are attacked by enemy ground forces, it might help, but probably not much since STOs are horrible at fighting other ground units.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 11:59:45 AM »
Also you might try setting your STOs to area defense or final defensive fire mode. I am not sure how well the random target mode works as I have never tested it.

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
Sorry, should have mentioned that its the asteroid, range now 0... Tried everything in fastest, slowest, largest, highest hit... The only ones that fires, are the enemy ships,,,,
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
Hmmm, they knocked out my last Deep Space Tracking Station and stoped bombarding the asteroid, many weapons left.  ???
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
I am at a loss. I haven't ever used my own STOs I've only ever dealt with them when invading hostile worlds.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
Well, Deep Space Tracking can't do anything to help you anyway. You need active sensors to target weapons, passive sensors won't do.

Okay, you haven't shown anything that suggests you know how to turn on your STO sensors, so I looked up how that works. It's a button on the Order of Battle tab of the Ground Forces window, labeled 'Active On'. Toggle it for the STO formation and their sensors should be able to acquire targets.

That said I can't actually confirm that that works, and when I do it with my STO formations I can't see any sensor ranges on the tactical map.

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 06:47:48 PM »
I don't think adding low gravity to your STO units helps them with STO combat. If they are attacked by enemy ground forces, it might help, but probably not much since STOs are horrible at fighting other ground units.

They are not horrible at ground combat... they are perfectly useless in ground combat because they can't fire in ground combat at all (unless they fire on another planetary body that is as a bombardment weapons). There is no point at giving STO units any special abilities as that will only effect the units chances to hit something not to avoid being hit.

STO should always use the "non-combat" option when you create them as they can't do any damage in ground combat.

To the OP... you have to turn on the active sensor of at least one STO formation. You do this in the Ground Formation Order of Battle screen and you do this per formation... it will then show (A) after that formation to indicate that active is on. The map don't actually show the range of ground based active sensors for some reason but their effect will be shown.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:49:50 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 01:42:52 AM »
Well, Deep Space Tracking can't do anything to help you anyway. You need active sensors to target weapons, passive sensors won't do.

Okay, you haven't shown anything that suggests you know how to turn on your STO sensors, so I looked up how that works. It's a button on the Order of Battle tab of the Ground Forces window, labeled 'Active On'. Toggle it for the STO formation and their sensors should be able to acquire targets.

That said I can't actually confirm that that works, and when I do it with my STO formations I can't see any sensor ranges on the tactical map.

Thanks man! That one I missed totaly, even teleported in a sensor station, didnt help much, got destroyed in the first salvo. Now the remainder is firing like hell!
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"