Author Topic: Saving the database  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Thorgarth (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
Saving the database
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
Evening all.  How do I save the game database?  Obviously, not by compacting it, as both times I've tried, the game as completely crashed and I have not been able to resume.  

Thank you.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Saving the database
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
I simply exit Aurora, then copy it into another directory.  I usually have a root directory that has the name of my game, then sub-directories "save000", "save001", etc., each of which contains a database file (that way I don't need to screw around with renaming).  Note that zipping up a bunch of these saveXXX directories into one zip file results in a BIG savings.

John

Offline Thorgarth (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
John,

Thank you for the information.

T.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
Quote from: "Thorgarth"
Evening all.  How do I save the game database?  Obviously, not by compacting it, as both times I've tried, the game as completely crashed and I have not been able to resume.  
There should be a backup done before the compact begins. The backup file is called "Backup.mdb". If the compact fails, you can rename this to Stevefire.mdb and that will restore the pre-backup situation.

In terms of a straightforward save, just create a copy of the Stevefire.mdb file and place it somewhere safe. You can then copy it back to the install directory if you want to restore from this backup. Note that you will still need to be running the same version of the code. Old databases will not work with newer versions of code.

Steve