Author Topic: #1 Colonial Wars Setup and Background  (Read 17579 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Colonial Wars Setup and Background
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:01 PM »
Not sure Australia calling freighters Melbourne would go down so well,  generally speaking the vessels named after Capital Cities are the heaviest combatants (save for HMAS Australia, which was our only ever Capital ship),  and with the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry you'd end up with an unhappy second largest city (there's a reason the 2 Majestic class carriers we bought after WWII were called Sydney and Melbourne).   I'd suggest making the Destroyers Melbourne class,  Supply, and Success would be more traditional names for cargo hauling.

Matt

Changed as suggested. DDs are now Melbourne and FT are Success.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Changed as suggested. DDs are now Melbourne and FT are Success.

Thanks!  it used to annoy the living hell out of me in the 2300 sourcebooks Australian warships called Kangaroo and various other really really lame names that would never get past the Australian admiralty without someone getting punched!!

as a rule of thumb combat ships are cities (big cities for bigger vessels) minesweepers seem to get rivers, tenders, oilers and the like generally after ships involved in the colonization and a few holdovers from the RAN's history as part of the RN like HMAS Vampire (who's nickname "the Mean Machine" always makes me chuckle, too much Judge Dredd I expect)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »
Do the Melbournes have a terrible power generation  on purpose?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »
? they have more than enuf power

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 01:26:53 AM »
Yeah, after actually looking again I realized that, I shall leave the post as a monument to my shame.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
The Caliphate write-up says that the Matrah has twin lasers, but it actually has twin meson cannons. Also, are the conventional NPRs still unable to tech up or do anything useful?

Looking forward to further updates, both for the story and for the nations' OOB.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
The Caliphate write-up says that the Matrah has twin lasers, but it actually has twin meson cannons. Also, are the conventional NPRs still unable to tech up or do anything useful?

Looking forward to further updates, both for the story and for the nations' OOB.

I'll update the description - I meant mesons. The NPRs will be pre-industrial, not conventional. I may add conventional ones as well at some point but the AI can't handle that at the moment. I need to add some code to avoid the NPRs trying to design ships without the necessary tech.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
Should the Mosul carry around some excess MSP? the "Carriers" seem to be the only ships they have with any to spare.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:25 AM »
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Hopefully you can keep this running for a long time, the starting setup looks truly amazing!

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:08 AM »
When you get to Japan, it may help to have a reference for naval naming conventions.  You described the Japan of the Colonial Wars setting as militaristic, having conquered large parts of the former People's Republic of China (PRC).  I assume you will revert to naval naming conventions used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War 2 (WW2).  I recommend the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »
When you get to Japan, it may help to have a reference for naval naming conventions.  You described the Japan of the Colonial Wars setting as militaristic, having conquered large parts of the former People's Republic of China (PRC).  I assume you will revert to naval naming conventions used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War 2 (WW2).  I recommend the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions.

Yes, already using them :)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
USA really needs some Casimir Pulaski class warships :P
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
As someone who knows a thing or two about producing obscenely long walls of text, I am astonished at the level of pre-setup detail here. 

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
The Trident class Patrol Ships are equipped with 12cm lasers, not 15cm. I'm not quite sure how the martians are going to get out of Sol, unless they stick to the Federation's arm.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
The Trident class Patrol Ships are equipped with 12cm lasers, not 15cm. I'm not quite sure how the martians are going to get out of Sol, unless they stick to the Federation's arm.

Fixed the description of the Tridents. The Martians aren't actually at war with anyone so they could establish colonies anywhere. They are just paranoid that they will be attacked. Centauri Arm makes the most sense though.