Author Topic: Changing classes that have been built  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Adseria (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Changing classes that have been built
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
Is it possible? I was under the impression that it was impossible to change any class that either in service, a shipyard was tooled for, or a shipyard was in the process of retooling for.

I built a gravsurvey ship, and then realised I'd made a mistake in the design. It was a relatively minor change (remove some fuel, replace with crew quarters), so I didn't have to retool anything because it was close enough to the original design (For ease of reference, the original was the Resolution-class, and this update was the Resolution-Ia-class).

After the refit was finished, I realised I made another mistake with the design (I really need to learn to double check  :-\). So, I went into class design, and that's when I realised I could change the Ia (ease of reference: Resolution Ib-Class). I checked, and the changes weren't magically transferred to the one I had in service, like when I accidentally changed an existing class to a PDC in my previous run (but that's another story). It stayed as a Ia.

I thought, since I had a Ia already in service, I wouldn't be allowed to change it. Is it because I didn't need to retool?

EDIT: I was wrong; The Ia already in service was magically changed to a Ib. Therefore, I'm assuming this is a bug.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:30:42 PM by Adseria »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Changing classes that have been built
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
If you change the design with SM Mode, then yes, it will 'update' already-built ships when you look at that specific ship on the Ship window, or otherwise force the game to update that specific ship (by taking damage, for example).

This is why you can't assign a shipyard to build a design without first locking that design.  The game should give you a warning if you try to unlock a design that has units in service.

Offline Adseria (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
If you change the design with SM Mode, then yes, it will 'update' already-built ships when you look at that specific ship on the Ship window, or otherwise force the game to update that specific ship (by taking damage, for example).

This is why you can't assign a shipyard to build a design without first locking that design.  The game should give you a warning if you try to unlock a design that has units in service.

SM mode was off and I didn't have to unlock the design; I just went straight into the design view and changed it before I even realised I shouldn't have been able to. Oh, and I've never had to manually lock a design; I just go over the Manage Shipyards screen and start retooling to whatever I want to build, and it automatically locks the design. I prefer that because then I can tell if I've started retooling for a class just by seeing if the class design window is available. As I said, I'm assuming this is why I was able to change it; I guessed that the game didn't think to lock the design of a class if you started building or refitting to that class in a shipyard tooled to a similar class.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »
I guessed that the game didn't think to lock the design of a class if you started building or refitting to that class in a shipyard tooled to a similar class.

Correct.  You managed to produce a unit of a design without locking that design.  That was an exploit.  The fact that changing that design then changed the unit is exactly what is supposed to happen.

Offline Tor Cha

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
it could also be that you were in "SM" mode and did not realize it, I know i have changed out of "SM" mode, then found i needed to do something then forgot to turn off "SM" mode, and really Messed up a NPR

Offline Adseria (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 07:08:11 AM »
it could also be that you were in "SM" mode and did not realize it, I know i have changed out of "SM" mode, then found i needed to do something then forgot to turn off "SM" mode, and really Messed up a NPR

That might be true if I ever actually used SM mode. Which I didn't.