Author Topic: How to learn  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Throatstalks the HC (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
How to learn
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »
How did experienced players learn to play? Did you just play and learn along? Because I can't find a good tutorial and this is just like trying to play dwarf fortress on your own, even worse.   I don't mind the interface or the graphics, on the contrary, I just have no idea how to start, and I've watched lavenders2100 videos and read on the wiki. 

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: How to learn
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
If you feel lost there are some Let's Play series on Google Youtube.  That could help.  There is also an Aurora Wiki if you prefer to go about it similar to reading the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:21:15 AM by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
A lot of the "old timers" came from Starfire and Steve's SFA. The basics of that were close enough to this for us. And there was the mailing list (defunct) and then these forums. Ask away and someone will have an answer for you :)

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:25:42 AM »
Aurora came easier to me than did Dwarf fortress, but that may have been because it took me 2 weeks for my brain to reliably distinguish between grass and trees in the default ascii graphics.

In Aurora I started with the "Tutorial: Part #" series. It was obsolete when I started, but it did show me where to look. Beyond that, I learned window by window, trying to figure out what the next window/tab controlled once I had figured out the last was for and asking forum questions as needed.

I'd recommend starting with this guide by TheDeadlyShoe. That one concisely introduces all basics. For other perspectives follow Matlay's suggestion and search for Lets Plays.

You also might try this checklist on what to do first, and reading the fan-fiction section for ideas on what triumphs/mistakes are possible.

Hope that helps somewhat.  :)

Offline Throatstalks the HC (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Thanks, guys.