Author Topic: Population vs Wealth  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Silvarelion (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Population vs Wealth
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:44 AM »
Just wondering if anyone had any insights on which is better for long-term wealth management, using Administrators with a Population bonus or a Wealth bonus? 
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Population vs Wealth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:17:16 AM »
Population growth slows down immensely as population goes up. If you need the wealth then put your best wealth administrators onto the most populace worlds. TBH the best way to increase population growth is to ship as many people as possible off your bigest world. Put the high growth administrators onto the new low population worlds to get their numbers up quickly.
If the planet isn't fully terraformed then shipping infrastrucure might be a problem.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
I would argue for the wealth bonus.  I have seen their effects in conventional starts where I had a high wealth bonus leader, and you just accumulate SO much wealth.  Basically, the benefits are a lot more front loaded than pop growth.  You can sustain more buildings with a higher wealth bonus, or buy more minerals, which allows for more growth.

I suggest that after you get the 10,000 research cost C&P techs, go for Sector Command, because that will boost your economy by a lot for the 5,000 research cost.  I figure if you have, say, a +10 miner, +10 construction, +10 shipyard, +10 wealth sector commander, 1/4 the bonus amounts to about 10 points, or roughly comparable to half the benefit you got from the 10k bonus.  And if you have a lot of Naval Academies, you will likely have better leaders than that to choose from.

I wish financial centers were transportable like other installations are.  Then you could just fill up your terraformed but mineral-less worlds with financial centers built elsewhere, and plunk a wealth bonus leader on them.  Pretend the whole planet is a giant call center, cold call selling products made elsewhere to markets all over your empire. ;)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
I wish financial centers were transportable like other installations are.  Then you could just fill up your terraformed but mineral-less worlds with financial centers built elsewhere, and plunk a wealth bonus leader on them.  Pretend the whole planet is a giant call center, cold call selling products made elsewhere to markets all over your empire. ;)

I can see it now...

"Sir! The invading aliens have scoured Telemarketing II to bedrock!"

"Well, they should have abided by the No Call List."

The following users thanked this post: Michael Sandy, MarcAFK, Detros