Author Topic: Auto assign naval officers?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Auto assign naval officers?
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
Do anyone know if it is a bug that auto assignment of naval officers don't apply to ships with a Flag bridge?

I have a few ships with Flag bridge and they are never assigned when the routine for auto assignment occurs. So I must assign someone after each time the computer run that routine.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Auto assign naval officers?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
I'm assuming that you're talking about ship command.  If so double check the required rank for the class.  Sometimes this is set higher than available officers.  There shouldn't be any other control on command assignment.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
Unfortunately that is not it. The highest required command at the moment for my largest ships is Commodore. I have 15 Commodores and six ships that require at least a Commodore. All Commodores have crew training skill and all Commodores get assigned to ships with a lower requirement.

If I make sure there is one free Commodore and all ships except one of the command ships has an officer in charge and I hit Assign, the Commodore just keep being unassigned as are the ship.

If i instead make sure there is a Commodore available and there is only a ship that require a captain then the Commodore happily take the position.

i also tested with increasing the command requirement of a ship that do not have a Flag Bridge and this ship had the exact same problem, so it does not appear to be the Flag Bridge that has anything to do with it. If I set a ship to need a Commodore at this time then when the time comes none of those ship get a commander. All Commodores are sent to other ships.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
Flag Bridges are for transporting the Task Force command structure.

Auto-assign only works for that if you've assigned a commander to the top slot, i.e. the command position. His staff officers may be auto-assigned.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
No, I'm not talking about the fleet command or their staff. Just plain single command of the ship. As I said above, I checked and it had nothing to do with the Flag Bridge at all. The game behaves the same if I require Commodores to be assigned to any other ship as well.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Set the priority uhhh... higher. I think. Check the tooltip.

Higher (I'm assuming) priority ships get their captains first. Then the others. If you set your commodore rank ships higher than others, they should be populated first.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
Yes I have tried that as well, they currently have the highest number in priority. The strange thing is that if I have an available Commodore and all but one ship is available and I hit assign he still do not get assigned to the Commodore ranked ship but he would happily go to a ship that only require a captain.

What I did was to take a CL ship that normally require a captain and increased this class to require a Commodore. I had one such ship free with no commander and I had one Commodore. I hit assign and the Commodore refuse to take the position. I then lowered the requirement of the class to captain. I then hit assign and now the Commodore would take charge of the ship. Priority was set at 0 on both occasions. There obviously where no other ships to take position on either and no other unassigned commander with a crew training skill.

I don't know what to do really and I never had the same problem before.

The ranks that I currently have are.

Lieutenant Commanders (417)
Commander (139)
Captain (46)
Commodore (15)
Rear Admiral (5)
Vice Admiral (1)
Admiral (0)
First Space Lord (0)

The Vice Admiral has a Fleet Command and so does three of the Rear Admirals, two Rear Admirals are in command of my biggest ships that require a minimum of Commodore.

I now used the "Unassign Type" and assigned the personnel above to their fleet assignment, that left 2 Rear Admirals and 15 Commodores and six ships that require Commodores or higher ranked officers. I clicked the "Auto Assign" and no Rear Admiral or Commodore are assigned to any of my six ships, they get no commanders. All Rear Admirals and Commodores are happily assigned to other ships though.

I then did it all again but lowered the requirement of the two ship classes to captain and this time all my ships got assigned a commander position. I left priority the same as before.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Might want to submit a bug if you haven't.

I tend to make my highest single ship command a captain. Save Commodore+ for task groups.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
Yes, I suppose that I will do that. I just wanted to know first if I did something wrong.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
I tend to make my highest single ship command a captain. Save Commodore+ for task groups.

How do you assign officers to TGs? They don't show up on the officers screen, and in the TG window the senior commander (who I assume is the leader of the pack) is greyed out.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
You don't assign them to TGs.  The SO of a TG is the most senior officer commanding a ship in that TG.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
I'm fairly sure that Erik ment Task Force.  TF command groups reside either on colonies or Flag Bridges.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Jorgen I'd hazard a guess that what you're running into is a lack to the required skills for ship command in your commodore's.  If I recall correctly that skill is crew training.  But I seem to recall that there are a couple of others that apply like fleet initiative.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
No that's not it. They all have the Crew Training skill and they like taking positions on the ships if I lower the requirement to captain, so there must be some bug.