Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 258039 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:22 AM »
An awesome improvement over VB6!

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
I wanted to ask if there is a chance for portable version without installation program. I travel a lot (well, will be again, I hope) due to business but i cant install any soft on working PC i carry as I am not an admin in the system. Aurora is my lifesaver on those boring lengthy trips.

The following users thanked this post: Jovus, skoormit

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
Would also be useful for those of us who want to, say, play Aurora on computers where we don't have install permissions. For whatever reason.  :-X

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
Would also be useful for those of us who want to, say, play Aurora on computers where we don't have install permissions. For whatever reason.  :-X

I can supply a non-install version with the basic program files, but if you don't have the necessary frameworks on your PC it won't run.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, clement, Shuul, Retropunch, BAGrimm, skoormit

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:44 PM »
I can supply a non-install version with the basic program files, but if you don't have the necessary frameworks on your PC it won't run.

This works for me personally :) thanks

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2020, 12:51:02 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120648#msg120648 date=1586431334
.  .  .  but I don't have a log of the DB changes I made since then.   .  .  . 

FWIW (and AYMAK), Microsoft makes a tool that will compare two versions of an Access database and create a report detailing the differences. 

Of course, generating a list of all the DB differences may be just the tip of the migration iceberg, since you then have to decide how to reconcile those differences.   
Might be trivial, might be a rabbit hole; only you would know. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:53:21 PM by skoormit »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
Can it happen with AI Empires that one race has a colony in a system and another also starts colonizing there - and only after some time one side decides to lay claim to the system and the other will refuse because of its own colony? Or would one party make an immediate claim the moment the other entered the system?

Also after a war is done, will the AI empires change their claims when they lost the system? And will they re-invade later to regain what they lost?

Offline BKL

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Really looking forward to the game!  Thanks for all your hard work! 

The following users thanked this post: bro918, SultanPepper

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120648#msg120648 date=1586431334
.  .  .  but I don't have a log of the DB changes I made since then.   .  .  . 

FWIW (and AYMAK), Microsoft makes a tool that will compare two versions of an Access database and create a report detailing the differences. 

Of course, generating a list of all the DB differences may be just the tip of the migration iceberg, since you then have to decide how to reconcile those differences.   
Might be trivial, might be a rabbit hole; only you would know.

I believe Steve has opted to use SQLite for the database now rather than Access.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
I believe Steve has opted to use SQLite for the database now rather than Access.
That's what I recall to. Probably a not insignificant reason that the game is faster too.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #775 on: April 09, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
Can it happen with AI Empires that one race has a colony in a system and another also starts colonizing there - and only after some time one side decides to lay claim to the system and the other will refuse because of its own colony? Or would one party make an immediate claim the moment the other entered the system?

Also after a war is done, will the AI empires change their claims when they lost the system? And will they re-invade later to regain what they lost?

Depends on the size of the colonies involved. If an AI only has a small presence it wouldn't make a claim. See Diplomacy Changes posts part 2 and 3.

Offline Retropunch

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #776 on: April 09, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »

I'm in the same position as the other posters and this would be really great - I sometimes have really, really long work trips where I'm forced to stay awake but don't have much going on - aurora is a lifeline for that.

Most PCs (work ones and similar) should have all the frameworks necessary, and if not its usually easier to get those installed.

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #777 on: April 09, 2020, 03:57:48 PM »
I would appreciate this! I have VB6 Aurora installed to Dropbox so that I can play the same 'install' on both my desktop and laptop.

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #778 on: April 09, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
I would appreciate this! I have VB6 Aurora installed to Dropbox so that I can play the same 'install' on both my desktop and laptop.

That's kind of brilliant. ;)
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #779 on: April 09, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »

I have a similar set up using Qsync.  A portable/self-contained version would be very convenient.