Author Topic: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x VB6 clone  (Read 164568 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Quasar4x - An early look at an Aurora4x clone in the works
« Reply #360 on: October 06, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
There aren't any vital functions missing other than swarm and invaders.  Mind sending me the file?  I'll convert it and run it a few turns to make sure nothing obvious breaks.  But if you don't want to bother with bugs and crashes, I'd recommend waiting until after I finish my current "fixing things" phase.
Waiting some days is fine with me. I'll send you the file next week then when I am back home ;-)

Thanks.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2020, 04:11:42 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-07

Version 112 is up.  It fixes a crash in new game creation (oops), and additionally:

- Linux build
- Fixed remaining situations in F3 window where damaged components weren't being considered
- Ship signature detection range circle in F3 window now uses the more complex calculation used by the detection code
- Right clicking a ship/class/fleet item in the Military tab on the F3 window opens the item in its corresponding window
- Production overview > Show Allies checkbox
- Removed the phrase "MR for Drones is 5 and cannot be increased" from Missile Design info tab
- detection of magazine explosions
- added custom generation rules to many of the commander name themes (3 names for Romans, etc)
- Intel Window > All Active Contacts for this Empire list
- Commercial Spaceports affect load/unload times
- Don't follow conditional order to absorb subfleets if parent fleet just divided
- discounts on required crew for very low planned deployment times
- and a few more minor additions and fixes.

These were all from a to-do list I've been adding to since the project started and mostly neglected until now (don't ask how many more items are on this list.) (on the bright side, many of the items on the list are obsolete, I just have to verify)  This list is quite a grind.  To change things up I generated a new game with 5 NPRs to see how long it would run.  It revealed a few minor things for me to fix, and made it to the 12th year before getting stuck in an infinite 5 second hell wherein NPRs were endlessly trying to use lasers on each other within a dense atmosphere.  I figured I'd get this build out before I work on fixing that.

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, Geoffroypi, tws029, joansam

Offline Tchey

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2020, 04:23:07 AM »
Quote from: Kyle link=topic=10149. msg141335#msg141335 date=1602105102

- Linux build

Oui !

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2020, 04:56:40 AM »

Version 112 is up.  It fixes a crash in new game creation (oops), and additionally:

- Linux build
- Fixed remaining situations in F3 window where damaged components weren't being considered
- Ship signature detection range circle in F3 window now uses the more complex calculation used by the detection code
- Right clicking a ship/class/fleet item in the Military tab on the F3 window opens the item in its corresponding window
- Removed the phrase "MR for Drones is 5 and cannot be increased" from Missile Design info tab
- added custom generation rules to many of the commander name themes (3 names for Romans, etc)
- Don't follow conditional order to absorb subfleets if parent fleet just divided

These were all from a to-do list I've been adding to since the project started and mostly neglected until now (don't ask how many more items are on this list.) (on the bright side, many of the items on the list are obsolete, I just have to verify)  This list is quite a grind.  To change things up I generated a new game with 5 NPRs to see how long it would run.  It revealed a few minor things for me to fix, and made it to the 12th year before getting stuck in an infinite 5 second hell wherein NPRs were endlessly trying to use lasers on each other within a dense atmosphere.  I figured I'd get this build out before I work on fixing that.

Kyle, I know we have to be strictly close to cloning VB6, however, I wonder if you are considering to change the Geological Sensors to the military tech as they supposed to have been from start.

The following users thanked this post: procdrone

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Re: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x clone in the works
« Reply #364 on: October 08, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-08

Build 113 is up, with the following changes:

- NPRs don't attempt to fire non-meson beam weapons in heavy atmosphere, which would shorten the increment time
- NPRs don't attempt to fire mesons at illegal targets such as ground units, which would shorten the increment time
- Don't consider a fleet to be within firing range (which would shorten the increment time) if current conditions prevent its weapons from firing
- Fixed an AI desired-distance-to-target calculation that caused this above scenario to happen in the first place
- Fixed a couple instances where subpulse times were shortened but not the increment times
- Fixed 2 crashes

I found the above issues by running a 5-NPR game for about 14 game years.  Since then I've run the game to 39 game years with no further issues other being a bit slow, which is to be expected because I've yet to do an optimization pass on the AI and pathfinding. 

Now that my NPR QA testers aren't finding any more crashes or obvious issues, I've cautiously removed the "early look" part of the title on this thread and upgraded the game's status from Prototype to In Development on Itch.  I've updated the top post in this thread with the current state of the game.  I do have a lot more things to review on my to-do list, but they are pretty obscure.  For example, the next one on my list is "make sure warp point links are reset if the SM deletes their linked systems."  So I believe I'm ready to start fielding bug reports if anyone is feeling brave enough, and I've created a new bug report thread for that purpose.

The reigning champion in that 5 NPR game, in terms of naval tonnage, are the Commonwealth of Aldertaine:

Off-Topic: aldertaine galactic map • show

They have lived a fairly peaceful life.  The most activity, which isn't much, is in Sapporo where they are monitoring the goings-on of other races on neutral terms, vaguely wondering why they're so interested in a nebula system 

(Map is zoomed all the way out to get the text to line up nicely)  The Aldertaine look the most favorably upon the mysterious Sol Aliens encountered in the thirteenth year of history, who for some reason have not left the third planet in their system. 

The Aldertaine greatly approve of these apparently AFK aliens staying put in their own home system.  Nevertheless, Popopoyotl and their crew dutifully keep an eye on these suspiciously idle beings.

The Empire of Mizunami cautiously approves of Aldertaine operations, allowing them trade access but little else:

Unfortunately the Aldertaine have not reciprocated any favor, as Mizunami have apparently lost all their shipyards.  Indeed, the Mizunami home system has been ravaged by unknown hostile beings:

This wasteland is surprisingly not due to the most xenophobic and warlike of the five empires, the Chippewacree:

They have been engaged in a decades long battle in the Aziz system:

With the abhorrent Abolhassan Aliens:

Who are in fact the Owl Clan and know this System as Smolensk

Which happens to be next door to their home system, unfortunately for the xenophobic Chippees.

Off-Topic: chippewacree galaxy map • show

Off-Topic: tiryns galaxy map • show

Off-Topic: mizunami galaxy map • show

(Large portions of this story were generated while I was mowing the lawn)

Kyle, I know we have to be strictly close to cloning VB6, however, I wonder if you are considering to change the Geological Sensors to the military tech as they supposed to have been from start.

I checked some old posts by Steve, and I'm deciding to stick with the one where he says Gravs are typically brought into unknown and possibly dangerous territory, whereas Geos are typically more for systems in your own, theoretically safe, domain.  In the future I'll probably ask for the citation ;) nevertheless it's easily moddable, in fact I wrote a mod that does just that and is included with the base game as a general modding example:

It's disabled by default.  The advantage of this over a database mod is it can be mixed and matched with other database mods and added to databases with an existing game.  I plan to add more api calls, documentation, and examples soon.  It's pretty much next on my list when I'm not fixing issues, since it will lead naturally into the automation and modular AI I had planned.

Oh, and I did this awhile ago, I just keep forgetting to mention it:

Theres also a setting you can turn on to enable zooming relative to the mouse cursor. 

That's all for now.  From here out I'm most likely going to start a new "patch notes" thread so be sure to check there for the smaller news tidbits.  Fixes, optimization, and mod-related things are on the short list, depending on which I feel like working on at the time! 

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Elvin, Tchey, Black, JacenHan, DIT_grue, tws029, mpf0214, procdrone, Zap0, joansam

Offline joansam

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
Wow, big steps! Super exciting  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Agm-114

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Registered
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Discord Username: AGM-114#7218
« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »

- Linux build

This untrue, geo being a civilian component was intended behavior.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=1993.0

Having geo be commercial would significantly change the design space VS vb6 aurora.
And if Kyle starts changing behavior vs VB6 it'd open the door to other minor tweaks people would request.
Like if I asked for a conflicting change that both sensors be civ etc etc.

But all of that doesn't matter tbh, If Kyle has fixed the right bugs it should be possible to mod geo sensors to be military components and that provides a much better solution to this suggestion.

The following users thanked this post: procdrone

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »

- Linux build

This untrue, geo being a civilian component was intended behavior.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=1993.0

Having geo be commercial would significantly change the design space VS vb6 aurora.
And if Kyle starts changing behavior vs VB6 it'd open the door to other minor tweaks people would request.
Like if I asked for a conflicting change that both sensors be civ etc etc.

But all of that doesn't matter tbh, If Kyle has fixed the right bugs it should be possible to mod geo sensors to be military components and that provides a much better solution to this suggestion.

I agree, I dont want changes I just thought was a bug/mistake.

I remember when I first wtote the FAQ that I was pointed out that geo were civilian by mistake and so had to change the part relative to that. It wouldnt be the first time to find elements that contradict each other.

On the other hand, as you said, I think that Kyle sorted it out with style through this little mod.

Thanks!

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-14

Build 114 is up.  This version features improved handling of ship deletion and ship transfers to other races. 

To test this update, I frankensteined a ship with a flag bridge and space for both fighters and troops.  This ship carried its commander, a geo team, a task force, passengers, troops and their commanders, and landed parasites.  One or more of the parasites were carrying their own commanders, another team, more passengers, more troops and their commanders, and another task force.  I then had another race send troops and their commanders to the ship and begin boarding operations.  I also made a copy of this scenario that was a PDC.  I proceeded to test some of the major functions on these ships:  Delete Ship, Abandon Ship, Destroy Ship, Transfer Ship, and Transfer Ship with Commanders.  I made sure that every combination of actions had a well-defined outcome and didn't leave any people or ships in limbo afterwards.  Here is the result.

Everything on this list was tested and confirmed.  Note that some of the columns actually represent multiple possible scenarios.  'Delete' occurs when Delete Ship is pressed in the UI, or civilians scrap an old ship. It also occurs when a player's Scrap Ship task completes, except any landed parasites are launched first before deletion.  'Abandon' occurs when Abandon Ship is pressed in the UI.  'Destroy,' the most common, occurs when the player presses Destroy Ship in the UI, and in all other natural instances of a ship being blown up.  'Transfer' occurs when the player presses Transfer Ship to Alien Race in the UI with Include Commanders unchecked, a ship is captured by boarding action, or a PDC is captured by ground combat.  'Transfer with Commanders' occurs in the UI, or when a ship surrenders due to its orbited population being conquered or its empire wiped out.

Not everything in this chart perfectly matches VB6's behavior.  VB6 doesn't have a well-defined outcome for some of the combinations.  I try to match it as close as I reasonably can, using my own opinion of what the most logical outcome should be where necessary.  I stop short at adding too much complexity to the code in some situations, with aliens on board for example.  There are a couple places where I diverge from VB6 behavior:

- There is no escaping to lifepods when a PDC is destroyed, the commanders instead escape to the friendly population hosting the PDC.  From a role-playing perspective, it just doesn't make sense that commanders would launch themselves into space in a lifepod when they could just hoof it out the back door. 

- Pressing Abandon Ship no longer deletes the ship.  This adds new story possibilities.  You can immediately press Delete Ship afterwards to achieve VB6's original effect. 

- My choice to use the 'Transfer with Commanders' set of rules for ship surrender, and not for ship capture, is somewhat arbitrary.  I transfer with commanders on surrender mainly because I can.  I use the vanilla 'Transfer' set of rules for ship capture mainly because in VB6 (and Q4X), captured commanders are deleted in exchange for espionage points, and it gets kind of muddy story-wise to mix deleting stuff with capturing stuff.  It's really easy to switch between 'with/without' commanders in the future though.  It's just a true/false flag.

Here are some of the highlights from the rest of the changes made in version 114:

- implemented F3 window > Civilian Transponder Status
- F3 window: show age in minutes of lost contacts
- Fixed shield detection
- cancel pdc refit job if pdc is deleted, destroyed, or transferred while being refit
- Fixed 3 crashes
- force amount to 1 when PDC refit projects are created
- prevent modification of amount remaining on existing PDC refit projects
- log a message when atmosphere has just become breathable due to terraforming
- Fixed a few issues where NPRs were running out of fuel when they weren't supposed to
- Fixed an issue that caused NPRs to spawn with 0 naval academies
- F2 window: show foreign aid sent and received in the Wealth/Trade tab
- if 'remove race' is clicked in the Intel window, cancel any foreign aid to that race
- system danger rating decay
- Fleet Orders window: double click items in the 'select GU/Team/Commander/etc..' list to add moves.  GU/Team/Commander items are removed from the list after the move is added
- F2 window: Fixed bug where Ground Units engaged in boarding attacks weren't showing on the Ground Units list. 
- If hangar space is destroyed such that there is no longer room for the existing landed parasites, randomly chosen excess parasites are destroyed.  I don't believe VB6 does this, but it mirrors the spirit of how excess troops are lost when troop transport components are destroyed

Many more minor fixes done as well.  That's all for now.  My list of concerns to review continues to shrink; it's at about a quarter of its record size right now.  (And my confidence in Quasar's stability continues to grow!)  When there's nothing left I want to address right away, it's back to the campaign!

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, tws029, joansam, Avalanche

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #369 on: October 16, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-16

Build 115 is up.

- Fixed bug where admin rating (or max labs) was never increasing through experience. oops.
- Fleets set to sync fire will not try to sync missile weapons with beam weapons.  Experimental change that is easy to undo.
- Recalculate surface temperature after bombardment raises the dust level
- Combat Overview: Targeted By TG/Targeted By Empire checkboxes support waypoint targets
- Commanders on diplo team have a chance to gain diplomacy experience regardless of whether they are assigned to an alien.
- Don't convert trade infra to real infra on low-gravity pops
- Don't convert trade infra to real infra on normal-gravity pops that are being sustained by underground infra
- Implemented Ancient Artifacts
- Default hull icon for races is randomly selected from ships dir rather than hardcoded
- And quite a few other fixes and corrections.

My things-to-check backlog is now sitting at 10 items, down from 409 items on Oct 1!

I've now dealt with most of the concerns I've run across over the course of this project, as well as the issues my NPRs have found.  My roadmap right now is pretty open ended.  I'm going to try to finally commit to playing a long-term campaign on quasar for the first time ever. I won't be doing an AAR, but I'll post updates on it if there's anything interesting worth posting about it.  In parallel, I'll be working on more fixes, another optimization pass, and modding related things -- examples, tutorials, automation/ai, more function calls, and maybe some experimental mods for fun. 

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, MinuteMan, DIT_grue, tws029, joansam, Avalanche

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-16

Build 115 is up.

- Fixed bug where admin rating (or max labs) was never increasing through experience. oops.
- Fleets set to sync fire will not try to sync missile weapons with beam weapons.  Experimental change that is easy to undo.
- Recalculate surface temperature after bombardment raises the dust level
- Combat Overview: Targeted By TG/Targeted By Empire checkboxes support waypoint targets
- Commanders on diplo team have a chance to gain diplomacy experience regardless of whether they are assigned to an alien.
- Don't convert trade infra to real infra on low-gravity pops
- Don't convert trade infra to real infra on normal-gravity pops that are being sustained by underground infra
- Implemented Ancient Artifacts
- Default hull icon for races is randomly selected from ships dir rather than hardcoded
- And quite a few other fixes and corrections.

My things-to-check backlog is now sitting at 10 items, down from 409 items on Oct 1!

I've now dealt with most of the concerns I've run across over the course of this project, as well as the issues my NPRs have found.  My roadmap right now is pretty open ended.  I'm going to try to finally commit to playing a long-term campaign on quasar for the first time ever. I won't be doing an AAR, but I'll post updates on it if there's anything interesting worth posting about it.  In parallel, I'll be working on more fixes, another optimization pass, and modding related things -- examples, tutorials, automation/ai, more function calls, and maybe some experimental mods for fun.

how robust will the modding infrasture be? Would I for example be able to mod in a recreation of C# ground combat into Quasar?

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2020, 04:17:47 PM »
Just thought I'd ask seeing as you're getting to a more complete status, what plans do you have for making Quasar usable on smaller monitors?

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-21:

Just a quick update to let people know I've started a patch notes thread here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11974.00 so check that out if you're interested in keeping up with the patch releases.  The main thread here will not be updated as often since the feature blitz is complete (for now) and I'm just focusing on fixing and polishing. 

how robust will the modding infrasture be? Would I for example be able to mod in a recreation of C# ground combat into Quasar?

A few pages back there are screenshots and details about how the modding infrastructure works.  It might be technically possible since mods consist of code that is executed by Quasar, and they have access to the same database and memory that Quasar itself uses.  That said, I won't be going out of my way to support such a complicated mod and will be telling people I prefer they just play Aurora C# if they are interested in that kind of ground combat or any of its other features.

Just thought I'd ask seeing as you're getting to a more complete status, what plans do you have for making Quasar usable on smaller monitors?

It's on my list to experiment with at some point, but I won't be redesigning any layouts.  It would just be a post-processing visual effect that scales the whole display down.  It might render some things illegible and wind up getting scrapped in the end.  Given that every device in my house, even the phones, are 1080p or higher, I honestly don't have much interest in this feature. 

--

Anyway, don't forget to check the patch notes thread if you're interested in seeing what's being fixed or improved.  There have already been a few updates.  My personal favorite is a major optimization I did in the F9 System View window.  I rewrote the system body list in C++, and that reduced the loading time of the default Sol system on my computer from 786 ms -> 50 ms!  That was quite satisfying to accomplish.

The following users thanked this post: joansam, Avalanche

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »

It's on my list to experiment with at some point, but I won't be redesigning any layouts.  It would just be a post-processing visual effect that scales the whole display down.  It might render some things illegible and wind up getting scrapped in the end.  Given that every device in my house, even the phones, are 1080p or higher, I honestly don't have much interest in this feature. 

I don't think Steve has any interest in supporting low resolutions but it's probably the most commonly asked question for Aurora.  ::)
At the moment on my 1400x900 monitor I can't get everything visible at once, so I need to drag things around to see what I want, then drag them again to make the close button visible.

Nice to know that you have an idea which sounds reasonable and is resolution independent, I'll be interested to see it in practice.

Will modding allow changes to the interface or is it limited to behaviour changes for the AI (which I think is what you've covered in previous posts)?

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »
Progress update 2020-10-22

Small resolutions are now supported* :D

Here's how it will look in fullscreen mode on a 1366 x 768:

The downscaling mode can be enabled in the racial settings window:

It dynamically shrinks to fit any particular resolution below 1080p:

Off-Topic: gigantic gif • show

Coming soon: Quasar for the Apple Watch and Gameboy Advance (april fools)

*Since the downscaling is done to the screen as a whole, visual defects do appear, particularly in 1-pixel-wide lines.  I will not be doing any further work on low-resolution support, but it is possible to modify the UI via modding.  The example mod included with the game shows how to change the size, appearance, and layout of the controls in the UI:

More info on the modding system can be found in a previous post in this thread

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, Triato, tws029, joansam, Migi, Avalanche