Author Topic: Conventional Start Exploration Fleet  (Read 1203 times)

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
Re: Conventional Start Exploration Fleet
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:41 AM »
I used to be in the 'separate ships' camp when it came to geological and gravitational survey sensors. Over time, as I have designed combined ships to try races with different design philosophies, I have moved into the 'both sensors on one ship' camp. I have no idea if that is more efficient because I have never run the numbers, but they just seem so convenient, both tactical and strategically.

I'm not advising that is the route people go down, just mentioning it is the one that appeals to me (for the moment anyway). You should design your ships based on what appeals to you. This is a single-player, role-playing focused-game, not a design competition. If the 'personality' of your race means it would most likely use large armed survey ships, then build them. From my own experience, you will get a lot more out of the game if you adopt a certain style for your race, rather than trying to make each ship individually 'efficient'.

As the game unfolds and your race encounters threats or problems, you designs will naturally adapt to those situations.

The following users thanked this post: Doren

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »
What is in my survey flotilla:
1 jump tender/tanker
1 survey support carrier with scouts and jump point monitor satellites and a flag bridge
4-6 grav survey boats (~800 tons)
1-3 geo survey commercial engined ships.  My 3rd gen geo survey ships also have jump engines.  I tend to build somewhat too many geo survey ships as I often have too little for them to do, but they can at least serve as jump tenders for my grav survey expedition.
1-2 independent jump probe fighters

The following users thanked this post: Doren

Offline bankshot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • b
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
Initially I surveyed without scouting first.  However after encountering my first wreck and ruins my doctrine changed.  I send a gate builder to the jump point to explore along with a jump capable scout carrier (1 hanger plus engines, a bit over 2K tons).  The jump carrier holds two 400ish ton EM and thermal scout fighters, and one 150 ton jump point scout (engine, jump engine, active & passive sensors, and a bit of fuel). 

The 150 ton scout jumps in to survey the jump point and if the jump point is clear I jump the carrier in, recover the jump point scout and launch the system scout wing.  While the scout wing clears examines any potentially habitable planets I build the jump gate into the system.   Once that is constructed the jump gate constructor jumps in and I start my grav and geo surveys.  So far I haven't encountered any live aliens but should I do so I'd hopefully have some idea of what my fleet would have to handle. 

My grav survey ships are equipped with one size 6 launcher and an 18 capacity magazine.  The size 6 missile has a low power engine and a bit of fuel to place a size 5 res 1 active sensor buoy onto the jump point - that way I can continue surveying the system without having to divert the survey ship to drop off the buoy. 

My empire is still fairly young (Internal Fusion tech, 20 systems explored, 22 cost 0 worlds, another 20 in the terraforming queue) so I have a significant delay between explorations.  I don't see a need to expand much faster than I can terraform and colonize as that would mean taking extra risks without much potential reward.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55