Author Topic: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread  (Read 22212 times)

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
1. (Repost of minor, persisting issue from 1.9.3) Real stars conventional 1.9 start, upgraded in three steps to 1.9.4. Do I put four comma-separated cats into my new dishwasher because it has a label on it that tells me urgently not to? Not while I'm sober, and probably not even otherwise. Although continental, it's set to handle dotted cats by default. Other questions n/a or answer follows.

Issue: Cancel button in Select Name still doesn't cancel properly and assigns previously selected or entered name from different object or window. Checked it only within System Generation & Display view this time; but before it also occurred in any other place where there's a Select Name button. Reproduce: In the system 'tryagain', manually rename body 'tryagain-A II' to 'buggard'. Then click Select Name for the System. Click Cancel. System is now named 'buggard'.

2. (Another repost of a still more minor issue/request) I had posted this minor bug report/feature completion request in the 1.8 thread shortly before update. I'm not sure if Steve did read it, but decided for one or other reason not to answer it. But I couldn't tell. As gamebraking bugs seem to become rare (workforce: 1, time: 3 weeks!), I dare to ask again.

Issue: The ship history VBAurora-style, or at least some of it, seems generated in the database, and there is a Ship Overview/History tab. Only, it's empty. Since the data and ui structure are already there, it would be nice to have displayed what is in, in addition to the excellent new shipwise stats on the main page – on the (surmised) condition that it takes only a fairly small coding effort. Or to know what the plans are for it.

3. (Thank you to the new 'bug moderators' for increasing efficiency by filtering cats and other non-bugs in advance)

I have looked over your report and have managed to reproduce this bug in another database and I will be moving this to the confirmed thread, thank you for the report, though I find "1." to be quite a funny and incoherent point, lets just say, let me know if you can get anymore bugs.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
It seems the tech "Reduced-size Laser 0.75 Size / 4x Recharge" does not change laser size:

with Standard Laser Size and Recharge Rate:
Code: [Select]
Damage Output 3    Rate of Fire 5 seconds     Range Modifier 20 000
Max Range 60 000 km     Laser Size 3 HS  (150 tons)     Laser HTK 1
Power Requirement 3    Recharge Rate 3
Cost 10.4    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

with Reduced-size Laser 0.75 Size / 4x Recharge:
Damage Output 3    Rate of Fire 20 seconds     Range Modifier 20 000
Power Requirement 3    Recharge Rate 0.75
Cost 7.8    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

Please follow the guidelines, otherwise we cannot fully help you, and attaching a database would be great so we can pass that along to steve and look at it ourselves. below are the guidelines please edit your post and answer all of them and your original issue. If you need help attaching database let me know. I have also tested your issue and have not been able to reproduce it, the laser changes size just fine so please clarify and answer the follow guidelines stated.

When you post, please post as much information as possible, including:
The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
What you were doing at the time
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well

Please provide an answer to each of these questions and requests. Thank you

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:52:30 PM by SpaceMarine »

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »
It seems the tech "Reduced-size Laser 0.75 Size / 4x Recharge" does not change laser size:

Cost 10.4    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

Cost 7.8    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

This is likely to be WAI as the beam sizes always rounds up to integers. thus 3*0.75=2.25 rounds up back to 3HS. Similarily, a 3HS laser with 50% size reduction tech will end up with 2HS rather than 1.5HS.

Offline smudge202

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 12:59:55 PM »
Probably me being an idiot, but I can't seem to get my shipyard to refit a vessel.  Didn't have a problem with refits in VB6, and I appreciate there's a 20% refit rule in C# version now but I haven't found any other posts regarding refit changes?

The function number: N/A
The complete error text: N/A
The window affected: Shipyards
What you were doing at the time: Attempting to refit a vessel
Things I've checked (not sure if all are required)
  • Ship is Orbiting Earth (and shipyards are at Earth)
  • Ship has just completed an overhaul
  • Shipyard has slipways available
  • Shipyard has been refitted to the new class
  • Neither old nor new class are Prototype Class Designs
  • Old and new class designs are within 20% size of one another (9999 tons for old, 9997 tons for new)
  • New design is not obsolete

When I go into the Shipyard tab, I select the shipyard and have confirmed the Assigned class for said yard is the new design.  I select "Refit" for Task Type, it auto selects the old design in "Refit From" and new design in "Class", but "Ship Name" dropdown is empty.

Apologies for the wordy description, not enough posts to be able to add images yet.

Conventional or TN start: Conventional
Random or Real Stars: Random
Is your decimal separator a comma? No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Uncertain
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: A little shy of 75 years but I've done very little in game so far.  I have literally one ship, no other systems explored, and was mostly messing about with research.  Not touched Spacemaster mode at all.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 01:02:11 PM »
Probably me being an idiot, but I can't seem to get my shipyard to refit a vessel.  Didn't have a problem with refits in VB6, and I appreciate there's a 20% refit rule in C# version now but I haven't found any other posts regarding refit changes?

The function number: N/A
The complete error text: N/A
The window affected: Shipyards
What you were doing at the time: Attempting to refit a vessel
Things I've checked (not sure if all are required)
  • Ship is Orbiting Earth (and shipyards are at Earth)
  • Ship has just completed an overhaul
  • Shipyard has slipways available
  • Shipyard has been refitted to the new class
  • Neither old nor new class are Prototype Class Designs
  • Old and new class designs are within 20% size of one another (9999 tons for old, 9997 tons for new)
  • New design is not obsolete

When I go into the Shipyard tab, I select the shipyard and have confirmed the Assigned class for said yard is the new design.  I select "Refit" for Task Type, it auto selects the old design in "Refit From" and new design in "Class", but "Ship Name" dropdown is empty.

Apologies for the wordy description, not enough posts to be able to add images yet.

Conventional or TN start: Conventional
Random or Real Stars: Random
Is your decimal separator a comma? No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Uncertain
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: A little shy of 75 years but I've done very little in game so far.  I have literally one ship, no other systems explored, and was mostly messing about with research.  Not touched Spacemaster mode at all.

It also needs the cost to be at most up to 20% divergance so if you have a very expensive ship and a very cheap ship it may not work, can you attach the DB and or images of the designs so we can have a better idea of what you mean, other than that I want to say many tanks for actually following the guidelines it makes my job much much easier and eventually steves.

The following users thanked this post: smudge202

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »

Cost 10.4    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

Cost 7.8    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

I am on 1.9.4. with dot as decimal separator and 0.75 lasers are 300 tons in comparison to full laser 400 tons.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
This "bug" is confirmed as not an issue, at lower laser tech 10cm etc its a rounding and at higher its obviously working fine, as such I will not be sending this to confirmed bugs, also for future reference please again use the guidelines

Offline smudge202

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »
Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=11231.  msg130397#msg130397 date=1588528931
It also needs the cost to be at most up to 20% divergance so if you have a very expensive ship and a very cheap ship it may not work, can you attach the DB and or images of the designs so we can have a better idea of what you mean, other than that I want to say many tanks for actually following the guidelines it makes my job much much easier and eventually steves.   

Ah, I guess the cost is the issue.   I didn't think I'd changed that much between designs but perhaps I did more upgrading than I realised.   Trying to work out which of these numbers you're referring to as cost.   If it's Build points old class is 1280.  3 vs 1531.  4 - my rookie maths puts the 1280 design at a max upgrade of around 1536, so 1531 should be ok? For completions sake I've attached a zip containing the db plus screenshots of the two class designs. 

EDIT in response to it not being a bug: I'm an idiot, thanks for spotting the damage.  Refits just fine after repair - I'll add "Ship is not damaged" to my refit checklist!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:23:45 PM by smudge202 »

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 01:18:27 PM »
Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=11231. msg130397#msg130397 date=1588528931

Ah, I guess the cost is the issue.  I didn't think I'd changed that much between designs but perhaps I did more upgrading than I realised.  Trying to work out which of these numbers you're referring to as cost.  If it's Build points old class is 1280. 3 vs 1531. 4 - my rookie maths puts the 1280 design at a max upgrade of around 1536, so 1531 should be ok? For completions sake I've attached a zip containing the db plus screenshots of the two class designs.

Thanks!

Found the issue, your ship is damaged and as such cannot be refitted, thank you for the report. This is confirmed as not a bug.

The following users thanked this post: smudge202

Offline Hastermain

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »
error carried over from 1.9.3, didn't get a reply on the last post.

Context: first time I load a saved game (saved it every now and then while playing, closed the app one time, first time I reopen the game to play a saved game)

The function number: 1170, followed by a good number of 3056s and 3060s, followed by infinite (literally) 3056s

The complete error text:

at bootup, 1 window:
#1170: object cannot be converted from dbnull to other types

some time later, after booting up:
#3056: object reference not set to an instance of an object
#3060: object reference not set to an instance of an object

What you were doing at the time: loading the game

Conventional or TN start: TN

Random or Real Stars: Real Stars

Is your decimal separator a comma?: Period, thousands separator a comma

Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? not sure
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: about 35 years

Installation: fresh install, 1.5.1 -> 1.9 -> 1.9.3, always deleting the files before extracting new ones
(updated to 1.9.4 and still have the same problem)

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
error carried over from 1.9.3, didn't get a reply on the last post.

Context: first time I load a saved game (saved it every now and then while playing, closed the app one time, first time I reopen the game to play a saved game)

The function number: 1170, followed by a good number of 3056s and 3060s, followed by infinite (literally) 3056s

The complete error text:

at bootup, 1 window:
#1170: object cannot be converted from dbnull to other types

some time later, after booting up:
#3056: object reference not set to an instance of an object
#3060: object reference not set to an instance of an object

What you were doing at the time: loading the game

Conventional or TN start: TN

Random or Real Stars: Real Stars

Is your decimal separator a comma?: Period, thousands separator a comma

Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? not sure
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: about 35 years

Installation: fresh install, 1.5.1 -> 1.9 -> 1.9.3, always deleting the files before extracting new ones
(updated to 1.9.4 and still have the same problem)

Thank you for the properly formatted report, I have downloaded the DB and confirmed the errors, I will be sending this to the confirmed thread, thank you for reporting it.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
V 1.9.4, running the Federated Nations game carried over from V1.9.3 and earlier, no error text.

The function number: None
The complete error text: None.
The window affected: Events log.
What you were doing at the time: Passing time.
Conventional or TN start: TN.
Random or Real Stars: Real stars.
Is your decimal separator a comma? No.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? One-off.
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well. Not long.

I'm confused by the event saying that one of my ships cannot carry out its refuel order as there is no suitable destination. Is the game trying to suggest that when I bring the ship back it won't be able to make it back to Sol?

Alternatively, maybe I'm misunderstanding the order. I'm unclear on the distinction between "Refuel at colony," and "refuel at colony Or."

DB attached.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:45:01 PM by Caplin »

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
V 1.9.4, running the Federated Nations game carried over from V1.9.3 and earlier, no error text.

I'm confused by the event saying that one of my ships cannot carry out its refuel order as there is no suitable destination. Is the game trying to suggest that when I bring the ship back it won't be able to make it back to Sol?

Alternatively, maybe I'm misunderstanding the order. I'm unclear on the distinction between "Refuel at colony," and "refuel at colony Or."

DB attached.

Please use the following guidelines when reporting a bug, otherwise your bug report will not be able to be fully dealt with. Also I downloaded the DB and went forward time and I had no issues, it has qued up move commands to go refuel.

When you post, please post as much information as possible, including:
The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
What you were doing at the time
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well

Please edit your request and answer all of these as well as try to reproduce the issue.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
Also I downloaded the DB and went forward time and I had no issues, it has qued up move commands to go refuel.

Just did the same and this looks like WAI. You just get the message once when the primary standing order condition is triggered and there is no colony to refuel at in the same system.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
OKay,

I gave the refuel orders manually. Should have specified that.

Is it still WAI? I wasn't aware that particular order only worked in one system