Author Topic: How can one edit some Aurora data?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Pury (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
How can one edit some Aurora data?
« on: April 09, 2022, 03:24:54 AM »
So I have been wondering if it is possible to edit some Aurora values, Ground units components to be precise.

I want to play around with asymmetric GSP costs, to give advantage to some weapons in different logistical situations. For example increase GSP cost for CAP over PW, to balance them mechanically, as for now CAP is simply better than PW of equal Tonnage.(taking into account all the upsides and downsides) And maybe edit cost values, if possible.

However I do not know if it is possible and if it is, where do one find those values? Do I need some special program to do it? Is Steve okay with this sort of "moding" of the game? 

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: How can one edit some Aurora data?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 09:36:15 AM »
So I have been wondering if it is possible to edit some Aurora values, Ground units components to be precise.

I want to play around with asymmetric GSP costs, to give advantage to some weapons in different logistical situations. For example increase GSP cost for CAP over PW, to balance them mechanically, as for now CAP is simply better than PW of equal Tonnage.(taking into account all the upsides and downsides) And maybe edit cost values, if possible.

However I do not know if it is possible and if it is, where do one find those values? Do I need some special program to do it? Is Steve okay with this sort of "moding" of the game?

Yes, this is possible.
These values are in the game database (AuroraDB.db file in your game directory).
There are lots of free programs you can use for editing a SQLite database. Some info on that here.
Steve is okay with db modding, but he does ask that you not report any bugs if playing with a modded database.

If you are unfamiliar with database design, you are facing a bit of a learning curve, but you can do it--it's not rocket science.

For what you want to do, you probably won't need to write any queries--you can just edit the data directly.
In that sense, this should be no harder than editing a spreadsheet.
Make sure to make a copy of your database first.

Might be worthwhile to find a YouTube tutorial about SQLite just to learn the very basics.

The hard part is going to be finding the right data to edit.
I think the data you want to edit is in the DIM_GroundComponentType table, but I'm not super familiar with the ground combat data structures.
Fortunately, the table column names appear to be mostly self-explanatory.
And there are more knowledgeable folks around who might chime in with more specifics.

The following users thanked this post: Pury

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
I think the data you want to edit is in the DIM_GroundComponentType table, but I'm not super familiar with the ground combat data structures.

Correct. I think the OP is looking for the SupplyUse column in that table.

The following users thanked this post: Pury

Offline Pury (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your help. I like to play a little with games like Aurora. Last time I did something like this I played around with Dwarf Fortress RAW'S, which was a bit simpler, as everything was editable via notepad. I was a bit worried that it might be much harder with Aurora, but your answers gave me some hope that it won't be that bad.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 06:42:22 AM »
I have been using DB Browser (SQLite) and it was painless and without issue.