Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.3  (Read 12613 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
I know it's been mentioned upthread, but as we get closer to a release of 4.0 I just want to reiterate the request for a way to convert Low Tech Infantry and Low Tech Armour units into trans-Newtonian ground units.  Specifically, without losing any accumulated Morale bonuses from training.

I'm torn between
LTI --> Garrison (Cost 25), Mobile Infantry (75), or Assault Infantry (75)
LTA --> Heavy Assault (Cost 125)

and

LTI --> Garrison (25) or Mobile Infantry (75)
LTA --> Heavy Assault (125) or Assault Infantry (50)

but I'd be willing to settle for

LTI --> Garrison
LTA --> Heavy Assault

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
STEVE,pls separate teh Orders..
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
Steve,are an Boredoom situation on "advance" time with 6hours impulse..EVERY damned 6 hours the "order Completed" FROM CIVILIANS idiots transits and completed orders bore me too..

Pls take some action to DIVIDE the "Orders Completed" FROM Civilians to Governement...PLS,otherwise am set NONE in subpulse..BUT in War time r very vicious this..and not ever r useful information s EVERY 6 hours..
So if u put under CIVILIANS the Orders Completed,am cut completely this info from coming in Event log..and ONLY the VERY useful infos r USEFUL.

U understand? ty v much.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: STEVE,pls separate teh Orders..
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2009, 06:46:09 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Steve,are an Boredoom situation on "advance" time with 6hours impulse..EVERY damned 6 hours the "order Completed" FROM CIVILIANS idiots transits and completed orders bore me too..

Pls take some action to DIVIDE the "Orders Completed" FROM Civilians to Governement...PLS,otherwise am set NONE in subpulse..BUT in War time r very vicious this..and not ever r useful information s EVERY 6 hours..
So if u put under CIVILIANS the Orders Completed,am cut completely this info from coming in Event log..and ONLY the VERY useful infos r USEFUL.

U understand? ty v much.

Steve has already fixed the underlying problem of civilian fleets aimlessly going back & forth, spawning an 'Orders Completed' event every single time increment.  And the idea of segregating all civilian 'Orders Completed', 'Orders not Possile', etc. events into a civilian-only event tye (notification of which could then easily be turned off) was rised a while ago, but  I can't remember what the outcome of the discusion was.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

Something came to light in my latest battle.  I was going through and doing battle prep, assigning weapons to fire controls and assigning targets, and I did something without thinking that kind of messed up my firing plan.  It would have been nice if Aurora told me I screwed up when I did it, rather than informing me after the time advance.  

Basically, I used the "copy Assign" button on the right hand side of the Combat Assignments window to copy the fire control assignments and missile/missile launcher assignments throughout my entire fleet.  This simplifies things greatly, except for one little problem.  I used the first ship on the list as the model, and that ship had the latest and best missiles on board.  When I hit the "Copy Assign" button, that assigned those same missiles to every launcher throughout the fleet, whether or not the ship had those missiles.  Unknown to me, because I wasn't paying attention, severl ships had older missiles, but in spite of the fact that they had zero of the latest missiles in their mags, the latest missiles were assigned to their launchers.  After hitting the time advance I noticed the problem on the Events window and changed the missile assignments as needed.  

This was an oops on my part, but it would be nice if a pop-up came up to tell me that some of the ships didn't have the appropriate missile, rather than assigning a missile that the ship didn't have.  

Kurt

How hard would it be to have a ship automatically switch to an available missile?  You could rate they by cost as a rule of thumb and assume the most expensive missile in the magazines that has a warhead (I.e., don't automatically launch pure probe drones) is the next best choice.  That won't always be the best choice but for a default should work fairly well.  Another thought is to rank them by speed or warhead, or some formula based on speed and warhead strength.

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »
As I have had similar goofs, in missile allocations, usually that one ship I missed loading the newest missisles on. I would like an automatic default for missile assignments. Maybe base it on a formula like jfelten suggested,
Another thought is to rank them by speed or warhead, or some formula based on speed and warhead strength.
with range also considered.

Mark

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
Steve -

A couple of suggestions for the "Combat Assignments Overview" window, based on my latest battle.

1.  It would be really, really, really nice if the "Assign Contact as a Target" box in the lower-middle-left portion ofthe window either was larger or if there was a scroll bar that would allow me to see text that extends off the right hand side of the box.  Many of the contacts have enough info that they extend past the right side ofthe box, which means that I can't see the entire listing and in particular, I can't see the range to the target.  

2.  It would also be really, really nice if I could select multiple fire controls to assign targets to or to unassign targets.  The standard shift+right click to select a range of fire controls, or cntrl+right click to select multiple fire controls would be nice.  

3.  Finally, it would also be nice to be able to clear all fire control assignments in a task group or individual ship at once, with one button, instead of having to go through and clear each fire control individually.  

Kurt

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
Ty Kurt for ur post,am in 2nd Battle in my campaign and the thing to do grew very fast.
u speak very well same my trouble.

subscrive to Steve

really really really be nice:_)

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:05 AM »
Steve -

A couple of suggestions for the "Combat Assignments Overview" window, based on my latest battle.

1.  It would be really, really, really nice if the "Assign Contact as a Target" box in the lower-middle-left portion ofthe window either was larger or if there was a scroll bar that would allow me to see text that extends off the right hand side of the box.  Many of the contacts have enough info that they extend past the right side ofthe box, which means that I can't see the entire listing and in particular, I can't see the range to the target.  

. . .

Kurt

I've only done limited combat testing (30+ years in to the game and as luck would have it still no high tech aliens to fight) but I did notice the same problem and second that it would be nice to have fixed.  If it is hard to make that list box bigger, would it be easy to add the full string to a mouse-over?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:40 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
Steve -

. . .

Kurt

I've only done limited combat testing (30+ years in to the game and as luck would have it still no high tech aliens to fight) but I did notice the same problem and second that it would be nice to have fixed.  If it is hard to make that list box bigger, would it be easy to add the full string to a mouse-over?

Ditto for me.  I have run into the problem on several occasions.

Brian

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
Maybe it should be considered a bug and not a suggestion?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
On the officer assignment screen, could you have the sector commands be listed as sector instead of govenor.  It can be a bit confusing to figure out which govenor is for the planet, and which is for the sector to start with.

Brian

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
On the officer assignment screen, could you have the sector commands be listed as sector instead of govenor.  It can be a bit confusing to figure out which govenor is for the planet, and which is for the sector to start with.

Brian

My short term solution has been to name sectors something other than the planetary default.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
Does anyone want to see graphs pie charts and other graphical representation for aurora.I am thinking about graphs and pies to show what is consuming what in the economy,  total planetary/racial population, mineral output consumption, total mineral output etc even if crude it would help. If you feel the same put your hand up and then type what you think show have some pictorial rep.
P.s The tactical intelligene window would be nice if you could compare palnetary emissions engine signatures via some pictorial thingie like a graph. :)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »
Hand raised ONE!mine:)
Agree..

And..STEVE...can u prepare an grahpical represntation when an Missile or an beam struck the target?:)..
And when an ship explode? can we LOOK effects?:)

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:44 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Hand raised ONE!mine:)
Agree..

And..STEVE...can u prepare an grahpical represntation when an Missile or an beam struck the target?:)..
And when an ship explode? can we LOOK effects?:)
I do not think 2d displays can do aurora justice, hopefully in the future you can have a usb plug on your head or at least holograms displays to truly enjoy the game.
I was thinking more along the line where number cannot really allow you to understand progress such as month to month economic growth or comparing planetary  emissions and other unwieldy metrics.