Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 28634 times)

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2024, 05:34:38 PM »
Dropping off life pod survivors is somewhat tedious, especially because you have to have the survivors on board in order to be able to give the unload order, requiring two interrupts.
Therefore I suggest that you add the option to space the survivors. This would not solve the two-interrupt problem, but it would be vastly more satisfying.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2024, 06:00:26 PM »
Dropping off life pod survivors is somewhat tedious, especially because you have to have the survivors on board in order to be able to give the unload order, requiring two interrupts.
Therefore I suggest that you add the option to space the survivors. This would not solve the two-interrupt problem, but it would be vastly more satisfying.

A more benevolent option is to add a standing order "drop off survivors at nearest colony" since we already have "pick up nearest lifepods" the combination should make things less painful, though not painless (IIRC the pick up lifepods only searches in system? or is it like the salvage standing?)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2024, 06:06:43 PM »
Would be best if Steve renamed the option to be "perform search and rescue" and have the logic be to pick-up lifepods until onboard cryo chambers are full, then drop off at nearest accessible colony, rinse & repeat. That way you could have a dedicated lifeboat/rescue shuttle and just leave it behind in a system after a big battle.

The following users thanked this post: tastythighs

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2024, 06:18:43 PM »
Being able to repatriate neutral or allied rescuees would be helpful. Instead of them being imprisoned for all time on your planets.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2024, 08:01:36 PM »
In the ship history listing, it would be neat to list what shipyard constructed a given ship.

E: I missed that this exists - but related, how about what planet/colony built a station or fighter?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 08:30:14 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2024, 08:12:13 PM »
In the ship history listing, it would be neat to list what shipyard constructed a given ship.

It looks like it does to me -- are you looking at a ship that was Instant Built at game start or with SM mode? Those just say "Constructed".

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2024, 08:29:34 PM »

It looks like it does to me -- are you looking at a ship that was Instant Built at game start or with SM mode? Those just say "Constructed".

Aha. Yes, you're right, I missed it because I was looking at a station that was built with planetary industry. Which is a good suggestion to add anyways.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2024, 09:41:32 PM »
QOL Suggestion:

Show the ages of scientists as part of the information given when choosing someone to head a project.

May not be relevant to everyone but I've been playing a slower paced game (40% research speed, with Limited Research Admin) and I've run into the problem whereby I'll start the research and then a couple of months later the scientist retires as they reach their mid 60s. Having their age listed when choosing from the list would make it a lot easier to avoid that, whilst also giving players a better idea of when it would be a good idea to switch to a less experienced scientist to train them up.

In addition to this, could we have the names of the scientists be colored in the research screen based on their current health? I.e., scientists in Very Poor health are red in the scientist selection screen of the research menu, so that if I'm going to pick old people, at least I pick the ones not in hospice care.

As a separate matter, could we now also automate assignment of sector commands? Oftentimes I'll not notice my sector commander(s) has/have been dead for years on end.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:43:37 PM by Coleslaw »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, captainwolfer, Napier

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2024, 03:03:07 AM »
Add a new type of intelligence gain: Hull Classification. This should be pretty common, and would provide the hull classes of multiple known NPR hulls for the relevant NPR. This way, you can build up information on what each class is, without needing to hope for getting the full design specifications or needing to attack/board NPR ships.

I've found that despite sitting ELINT ships in range of NPR homeworlds for years, I basically only get intelligence on a handful of designs, most of which are either outdated or not deployed. An intelligence gain option like this would let me figure out which ships are tankers, freighters, etc, in a much more practical time-span

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Napier, nuclearslurpee, Louella, tastythighs

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2024, 10:14:30 AM »
Add a new type of intelligence gain: Hull Classification. This should be pretty common, and would provide the hull classes of multiple known NPR hulls for the relevant NPR. This way, you can build up information on what each class is, without needing to hope for getting the full design specifications or needing to attack/board NPR ships.

I've found that despite sitting ELINT ships in range of NPR homeworlds for years, I basically only get intelligence on a handful of designs, most of which are either outdated or not deployed. An intelligence gain option like this would let me figure out which ships are tankers, freighters, etc, in a much more practical time-span

The only "problem" with this is that we can already get this information perfectly by checking the "use real names" box. Personally, I don't like that, I would like to know the real ship names but not their classifications. Finding out that the ship you're communicating with is called "Devastator" isn't useful intelligence; knowing whether it is a BB or DE is, so it seems silly we can get that information for free. More so for player race vs. player race games as NPR designs are usually predictable.

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2024, 01:05:33 PM »
In my "war of the worlds" game I have destroyed...
16 ships of 30kt
12 ships of 20kt
4 ships of 10kt
2 ships of 10kt
without being able to gain intel on what the hull classifications might be, despite many of the battles involving cruisers carrying ELINT modules, engaging at beam ranges.

I know the class name, and partial information on sensors, engines, weapons etc. from salvage.

But not the hull classifications.

now that I think about it, the only ships that I have hull classifications for, are ones that I have boarded, or saw being launched due to having sensor coverage of Mars at the time of their launch.

Everything else is XX unknown hull classification. I'm using "real ship/class names".

Is it because I have not translated the Martian language ? (they're extremely xenophobic and refuse to communicate)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2024, 06:19:31 PM »
ELINT modules do not work in combat. Well, they do but they require a lot of time before they get results so they are useless during combat. Best use for them is to use a diplo ship or a stealthy ship and park it near their colonies for months and months.

Real name/class requires SM mode to be on if I remember correctly.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2024, 06:31:20 PM »
16 ships of 30kt
12 ships of 20kt
4 ships of 10kt
2 ships of 10kt
without being able to gain intel on what the hull classifications might be, despite many of the battles involving cruisers carrying ELINT modules, engaging at beam ranges.

I know the class name, and partial information on sensors, engines, weapons etc. from salvage.

now that I think about it, the only ships that I have hull classifications for, are ones that I have boarded, or saw being launched due to having sensor coverage of Mars at the time of their launch.

Everything else is XX unknown hull classification. I'm using "real ship/class names".

Is it because I have not translated the Martian language ? (they're extremely xenophobic and refuse to communicate)

Interesting... I recall last time I used the option I saw the hull types as well, but maybe that was changed at some point.

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2024, 10:25:03 PM »
I believe that if you see a new ship for the first time and have "Real Ship Names" on, then that specific ship will have the correct name and hull designation, which you can then assign to the class.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline joshuawood

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2024, 10:25:51 PM »
16 ships of 30kt
12 ships of 20kt
4 ships of 10kt
2 ships of 10kt

You can just set a hull classification? I don't see why the inherent classification is any more useful than one you give it?