Author Topic: Suggestions for v5.1  (Read 38270 times)

Offline EarthquakeDamage

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Re: Suggestions for v5.1
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Go go Gadget suggestions!

1.  Ground unit organization is cumbersome.  While it's better than 5.00 (or was that 4.9x I first tried?), since the "select an HQ unit" dropbox no longer resets immediately after assigning a unit to one, it still needs help.  It'd be nice if we could select multiple units and attempt to assign them to an HQ (or transfer them to a pop/PDC or whatever) all at once.  It'd also be nice if full HQ units (i.e. those which already have 4 units assigned to them) were either visibly flagged (an asterisk, maybe?) or removed from the dropbox.

2.  As an alternative to the above, or more likely in addition to it, perhaps an "automatic organization" button is in order.  It could place as many unassigned units as possible under non-full HQs.  Ideally, it would only make homogeneous divisions (e.g. marine-only or garrison-only).

3.  We need some way to add multiple slipways at once, whether it be an "add X slipways" order or a shipyard order queue.  I find it tedious to babysit a brand new shipyard (thus 1 slipway) on its way to, say, 10 slipways for FAC production.

4.  I like elite crewmen a bit too much.  I've set my racial training level to 125 for two reasons:  it gives a crew grade bonus slightly in excess of 100% and it yields a nice round 8 crew per academy per year compared to level 121.  To compensate, I've built way too many academies, 1250 to be precise (obscene amounts of minerals in the process), thus getting as many crew per year as someone with base level training and 10 academies.  The problem:  Too many officers.  I now have several thousand officers (far too many to spend several real days retiring individually), which bogs the game down horribly (minutes per time increment instead than seconds), most of whom are superfluous.  There should be a way to reduce officer bloat (and no, Replace All is ineffective when I get some 6000 officers per year).  A "maximum officer count" setting (preferably on a per type basis, so we can say "allow only 100 scientists but up to 1000 naval officers" or whatever) would help, as would a "retire 50% of unassigned officers" button.  Those are the first ideas that came to mind.

To summarize that last one:  If you invest a lot of time and resources into academies because you want awesome crewmen, you will get redacted by useless bums (read:  officers) who mostly do nothing but slow the game horribly.  We need some means of controlling the officer bloat while reaping the benefit of our investment in crew training.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
A division size troop transport carrier (without adding 21 units to the ship manually).

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Have the naval organization table update when I add ships to TGs listed in the org chart.

Offline praguepride

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • p
« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Couple of thoughts. Forgive me for being so eager, I know I'm still horrendously new at this game :). I could remove mineral requirements for certain tasks, such as construction, although that would give NPRs a major advantage. I like the added years idea as an alternative though. I will give that some thought.

Steve[/quote]

Again, me just spitballing

1) Make Difficulty % impact the amount of starting resources for an NPR. So at 100%, starting NPR's get x2 as many resources as the player.

2) "Cheat" - have the NPR's start with a few asteroid miners or freighters/mass drivers/automated mines to haul off and establish an early resource base

3) Alter AI behavior - have the early AI focus purely on resource development.

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
This would be a huge help for me , and I am sure people would also like this...

The ability to have a larger drop down box for ship lists in f5 ship screen.

picture for reference.

If you could double the length that would allow me to quickly change my ship selections when i have many.... instead of searching through them etc.

My naming conventions help greatly but it still once i have more than 8 ship designs its not so great.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
@ the above:

How about the possibility to also a small icon to fleets and ship types on creation?

@praguepride:
The reason for commercial engines is that they allow to put reasonably cheap engines on extremely heavy freighters, which just happen to drastically reduce micromanagement by costing less fuel.
On Military ships, weight is more important, as it all needs to be maintained.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #381 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Option to turn off the auto-class name when designing classes. I don't like using up "good" names for harvesters, cargo/colony ships, etc. Maybe a check box on the F5 screen. If checked, and new is clicked, no auto-name.
Added for v5.1

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #382 on: March 26, 2010, 12:04:04 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Have the naval organization table update when I add ships to TGs listed in the org chart.
You can't list TGs in the org chart. it just consists of org branches and ships. What might be possible is to set an org chart branch at construction time in the same way as a destination TG.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #383 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
Quote from: "Journier"
This would be a huge help for me , and I am sure people would also like this...

The ability to have a larger drop down box for ship lists in f5 ship screen.

picture for reference.

If you could double the length that would allow me to quickly change my ship selections when i have many.... instead of searching through them etc.

My naming conventions help greatly but it still once i have more than 8 ship designs its not so great.
Unfortunately the length of the dropdown is due to Microsoft, not me. Its a standard MS dropdown control. The alternative is to redesign the class window to be more like the Ship and Population windows, with a list of classes down the left hand edge of the window.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #384 on: March 26, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Quote from: "georgiaboy1966"
A suggestion for multi-species empires.

Ability on the population list to have the colonies/world pops listed by species. So that you can easily move between colonies of a specific peoples, without having to choose a colony, then look on the summary to see which population it is.

If you have more than 1 population on a world, then it can get hard to find the specific colonies you are looking for.
I have already added the species name to the colony name for v5.1 due to the addition of genetics :)

[attachment=0:2ip1f7hu]species.GIF[/attachment:2ip1f7hu]
Steve

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
As mentioned on the bugs thread, allocate random system numbers for starting NPR's so they aren't necessarily "nearby".

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »
Change Missile ECM to be [current strenght]x4/MSP.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
As mentioned on the bugs thread, allocate random system numbers for starting NPR's so they aren't necessarily "nearby".
Absolutely SECOND and THIRDEd and Fourthed:DD..

Or a low random possibility..OR a "Good Nearborough Alien"..not so Evil.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
Quote from: "EarthquakeDamage"
[spoiler:qiwnxh3g]I can't find any screen that lists damaged ships.  That would be helpful should we overlook one (particularly likely with large fleets).[/spoiler:qiwnxh3g]  Derp.  Also, this forum lacks a strikeout feature (i.e. text).

It'd also be helpful if we could automate damage control (similar to the auto-fire checkbox).  Additionally, some way to apply the setting to an entire TG would be useful.  Ditto for auto-fire, since as far as I can tell we have to set auto-fire for each individual ship (annoying for carrier-heavy fleets with lots of fighters/FACs).
Second!

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Absolutely SECOND and THIRDEd and Fourthed:DD..

Or a low random possibility..OR a "Good Nearborough Alien"..not so Evil.

I thought of a way to fake it for now - just set the "local" chance to 0% and the local neighborhood to the number of starting NPR's.  That'll guarantee there won't be an NPR one jump from Sol, and make it unlikely they'll be within two or three.

The downside is that you lose the clustering behavior.  So you could make the local neighborhood a lot bigger;  it's just that the bigger you make it, the more likely you are to pull the NPR's close again.  (But no closer than two jumps.)  Random numbers really are the way to go for this.